The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Troll Season

theminister

Now that the NHL season has begun it also ushers in the opening of Troll Season here at CDC.

This is the first of four annual markers, with the other three being the trade deadline, the first round of the playoffs and the opening of Free Agency, where we get to welcome a whole bunch of new faces.

This thread is meant to discuss our new friends. What do you think of our new crop? Are they malicious, just annoying or simply stupid?

Just saying....

But in all honesty they're really not trying hard enough. the fact that they're trying at all and failing so miserably is kinda sad really. I think Bennett is probably doing ok, it's seamless. But "Mr. Reputable" just gets on my nerves because it is so poorly done

definition of troll in the real world..

One who purposely and deliberately (that purpose usually being self-amusement) starts an argument in a manner which attacks others on a forum without in any way listening to the arguments proposed by his or her peers. He will spark of such an argument via the use of ad hominem attacks

CDC definition : anyone who has anything negative to say about the Canucks (warranted or not) " the canucks are the classiest organization in the NHL, they are the best at all facets of the game , we have the best players in the league hands down, the only reason we haven't won is because the league and the refs are out to get us. Our GM is the smartest guy on the planet and every move he makes is the right one...our ticket prices are extremely fair and 8$ for a beer is a steal of a deal..." if you disagree with any of the above you are a Troll...

One who purposely and deliberately (that purpose usually being self-amusement) starts an argument in a manner which attacks others on a forum without in any way listening to the arguments proposed by his or her peers. He will spark of such an argument via the use of ad hominem attacks

CDC definition : anyone who has anything negative to say about the Canucks (warranted or not) " the canucks are the classiest organization in the NHL, they are the best at all facets of the game , we have the best players in the league hands down, the only reason we haven't won is because the league and the refs are out to get us. Our GM is the smartest guy on the planet and every move he makes is the right one...our ticket prices are extremely fair and 8$ for a beer is a steal of a deal..." if you disagree with any of the above you are a Troll...

I love how people who are supportive of the team and don't have some ill informed and irrational hate of some combination of Luongo, Gillis, AV etc are painted as simpleton homers with sunshine shooting out their asses and vacant stares from behind their rose coloured glasses.

It is possible to be supportive of the team and fall somewhere in the realist middle folks. It's not an all or nothing Gillis is god/the devil situation.

Maybe MGs overall a pretty good GM whose made some mistakes along the way like all GM's do but has largely improved the franchise?

Maybe Lu's a really good goalie who does certainly have the odd bad game but shouldn't be so highly praised for every win or vilified for every loss (particularly wen the team in front of him evidently vaporizes)?

Maybe AV was in fact a very good coach (who also, being human, made mistakes along the way) who's time had run it's course/message was no longer reaching the players?

im a down the middle realist .. im just poking fun at the cheerleaders who cant stand to hear anything negative be it true or not and instead of engaging in meaningful discussion they just call you a troll......

Canucks could literally come out tomorrow with a poop brown jersey with a pile of poop as the logo and if i said "what the hell are they thinking worst jersey ever" some people on this site would still say " cant you just be happy and supportive? ...im sure you couldnt come up with anything better... i like the jersey ,the brown is a nice earth tone ,you are just a troll"

I think possibly the most logical troll who isn't really a troll is a guy on the TSn site named Pepstilence. At first I thought he was just genuinely overly critical and hateful about everything the team did. Then I started reading into his posts and found that he is a genuine fan with a more realistic outlook on the team and some of the approaches to improvement Gillis has taken.

Nobody and I do mean NOBODY can applaud everything this team does. Chris Banks is right to an extent that some people are just overly critical about anytime you critique the team. The team deserves critique, it is inside and outside opinion which shapes the team and the fan base.

Trolls are those who just come on here and post inflammatory nonsense about a team, who jog a thread just to get responses. Basically someone lacking a moral identity or a social life.

Case in point would be the "New Look Canucks" thread by MLT. That is a whining troll thread. On the opposite side would eb someone genuinely critiquing the pick up of say Dalpe and Stanton when there is still so many UFA's with experience out there or bigger bodies or more skilled players in positions we need to define our depth in.

Nobody likes trolls, but a troll is a troll is a troll. And a fan is someone who actually knows what they're attempting to talk about. Someone with the actual knowledge to say Stanton could be a great pickup over Blum whom everyone else was saying we should dive in for as Stanton has the defineable depth qualities we need.

Anyways, back tot he topic at hand, I hate trolls

Archived