The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Shot blocking really sustainable?

PlayStation

I don't have a problem with this, personally. Losing players to injury is inevitable in this sport. Whether you are an unfortunate player to take a puck in the face or intentionally attempt to block a shot, either way you have the possibility to miss some time.

Canucks have been unlucky for years with injuries so adding shot blocking too it = trouble. Don't get me wrong it's part of the game but with the Olympic year and extra travel come playoff time we might be in trouble. One injury to Kesler or sedin you can kiss the season goodbye. The problem I see is the Canucks are trying to block EVERYTHING. That's not how you block shots.

The Canucks have no idea how to properly block shots. That is why they need to block shots all season long, so they can learn how to do it correctly. They'll learn how to take the puck off the shin guards, or other padding. Yes, it will result in some injuries along the way, but Torts did in New York and Tampa. His teams made the playoffs most years, and went a couple rounds, Tampa won a cup. So you can't say shot blocking is unsustainable. The players just need to learn how to do it correctly.

They also need to learn that if you can't make that block, don't go for it at all. That screen on Loungo never should've happened, Tanev was not in position to block, so he just became another body in front. I'm sure Torts will get them sorted out on when and how to block. Also, as some other have said, less turnovers and better puck control will limit the shots you have to block in the first place. The Canucks cost themselves the game tonight with bad penalties and worse turnovers.

Shot blocking is an art. Some guys block hundreds of shots and can avoid injuries/bruises because they know where to position themselves to hit their pads and protect themselves. If only Ryan Johnson was back on our team, he'd teach our guys a thing or two about perfecting the art of blocking shots

Some teams like the Sharks will take shots at the blocking Canucks because they seem to get off on it. Meanwhile, most teams will get frustrated at their shots being blocked and try to go for that extra pass. I personally don;t think its a great idea, they seem to cause problems deflecting shots and screening the goalie. I think blocking shots needs to be done when called for and not have people diving in front of shots that the goalie can easily save.

Some people want to take fighting out of the game and here I am wanting to take shot blocking out of the game. Seriously, it should be a penalty if a forward slides to block one. Cuts down on injuries and slighty increases offense making for a more entertaining game. You wouldn't have the goalie join the rush to try and score so why have your 6mil forward pretending he's Hasek. Let the goalies do thier job.

Shot blocking is an art. Some guys block hundreds of shots and can avoid injuries/bruises because they know where to position themselves to hit their pads and protect themselves. If only Ryan Johnson was back on our team, he'd teach our guys a thing or two about perfecting the art of blocking shots

I heard Chris Higgins in an interview during pre-season and his opinion was the whole shot blocking thing was ridiculously blown out of proportion and that Torts expectations were not that different than any other NHL coach he has had.

Then someone I think it may have been Bob McKenzie dropped this factoid.

During the 48 game 2013 regular season which team blocked more shots, the Canucks or Rangers? The Canucks was the answer. Didn't verify that myself so I take their word for it.

Now during the playoffs the Rangers do take it to a whole new level I agree.

I heard Chris Higgins in an interview during pre-season and his opinion was the whole shot blocking thing was ridiculously blown out of proportion and that Torts expectations were not that different than any other NHL coach he has had.

Then someone I think it may have been Bob McKenzie dropped this factoid.

During the 48 game 2013 regular season which team blocked more shots, the Canucks or Rangers? The Canucks was the answer. Didn't verify that myself so I take their word for it.

Now during the playoffs the Rangers do take it to a whole new level I agree.

The way we do it I don't think so - everyone was taking pucks off the head etc.

Maybe we'll learn but we are going to get some injuries from it. I do like the theory behind it, play hard everyone does everything but I am not sure if it is playing to this groups strengths. Time will tell.

Archived