The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Shot blocking really sustainable?

PlayStation

Injuries aside, I'm getting tired of the keyword "shot-blocking" as if it defines defensive effectiveness. I'm not going to assume Tortorella believes this, but it's certainly attributed to him by a monolithic, borderline robotic media - part of it is undoubtedly his style, emphasis and approach.

Shot-blocking like anything else, would seem to have it's upside and downside. One downside that I'm not particularly thrilled about - aside from the risk (and people can maintain it's an art and an acquired skill, but the fact remains that shots don't always go where they are anticipated to) - is that in the process of preparing to block a shot, you also to an extent stop skating - going down to a knee or further (to 'stack the pads') obviously has the downside of needing to recover from that position in order to regain positioning if the player does not in fact shoot the puck. It gives time and space - and the 'art' of faking shots to get a player into shot blocking position has the alternate effect of creating more time and space for the offensive team in possession. I'm not convinced that focusing on taking away time and space and applying pressure is in any way inferior to focusing on blocking shots. A balance has to be struck in the end, and if a team becomes predictable one way or the other...

The one thing that I couldn't disagree more with is the emphasis on using the Sedins to kill penalties. Not only is it not the strongest part of their game and put them at greater risk of injury, but the team also has a wealth of very talented defensive and two way forwards - Burrows, Kesler, Higgins, Hansen, Richardson to begin with - all very adept penalty killers whose excel in the role. Use players to their strengths as opposed to forcing a square into a circle. I could care less if the Sedins want to kill penalties. Dale Weise no doubt wants powerplay minutes - that doesn't change the fact there are more capable special teams players. Not only should the Sedins not be killing penalties (this imo is the definition of outsmarting oneself), but if the fourth line players aren't talented enough to play that role, then the focus of this team imo should be on upgrading those wingers so they can play more than 5 minutes of stereotypical crash and bang hockey (and not even that to great effect). I hate singling out players, but fourth line wingers need to be more utilizable and more effective.

Sestito 3:28 of ice time last night.

Weise 4:49...

Dalpe 3:19 (understandable under the circumstances)

None of these players touched the ice shorthanded (and scarcely at all).

The Sedins spent twice as much sh toi than Hansen and Richardson.

It's only game 1 - I'm hoping this is a learning experience and aberration from what will prevail.

Injuries aside, I'm getting tired of the keyword "shot-blocking" as if it defines defensive effectiveness. I'm not going to assume Tortorella believes this, but it's certainly attributed to him by a monolithic, borderline robotic media - part of it is undoubtedly his style, emphasis and approach.

Shot-blocking like anything else, would seem to have it's upside and downside. One downside that I'm not particularly thrilled about - aside from the risk (and people can maintain it's an art and an acquired skill, but the fact remains that shots don't always go where they are anticipated to) - is that in the process of preparing to block a shot, you also to an extent stop skating - going down to a knee or further (to 'stack the pads') obviously has the downside of needing to recover from that position in order to regain positioning if the player does not in fact shoot the puck. It gives time and space - and the 'art' of faking shots to get a player into shot blocking position has the alternate effect of creating more time and space for the offensive team in possession. I'm not convinced that focusing on taking away time and space and applying pressure is in any way inferior to focusing on blocking shots. A balance has to be struck in the end, and if a team becomes predictable one way or the other...

The one thing that I couldn't disagree more with is the emphasis on using the Sedins to kill penalties. Not only is it not the strongest part of their game and put them at greater risk of injury, but the team also has a wealth of very talented defensive and two way forwards - Burrows, Kesler, Higgins, Hansen, Richardson to begin with - all very adept penalty killers whose excel in the role. Use players to their strengths as opposed to forcing a square into a circle. I could care less if the Sedins want to kill penalties. Dale Weise no doubt wants powerplay minutes - that doesn't change the fact there are more capable special teams players. Not only should the Sedins not be killing penalties (this imo is the definition of outsmarting oneself), but if the fourth line players aren't talented enough to play that role, then the focus of this team imo should be on upgrading those wingers so they can play more than 5 minutes of stereotypical crash and bang hockey (and not even that to great effect). I hate singling out players, but the fourth line wingers to be more utilizable and more effective.

Sestito 3:28 of ice time last night.

Weise 4:49...

One reason I actually like to see the Sedins kill at least some penalty time is that it keeps them in the game. In a game like last night with so many penalties, their ice time would be very low and they really don't seem to do well when that happens.

I would agree with that, particularly if taking a number of penalties early in the game - which is a situational thing that makes sense, particularly if you use them at the tail end of a pk, but stressing it in general imo is just poor rationalized questionable usage of your players, particularly when you have a handful of guys who excel. What does it say to your mid range and role players when their special teams minutes are given to guys who are among the best players in the world, but certainly not in that aspect of the game? Let your penalty killers be penalty killers and let the Sedins be Sedins.

The Canucks only took two minor penalties in the first period - one in the first 15 minutes - yet the Sedins had over 3 minutes of combined pk time in that period. I get the idea of 'getting them into the game', but those imo aren't the situational circumstances that call for it - nitpicking perhaps, but don't want to see this become a trend.

I suspect some of last night was Torts wanting to look at players in game situations.

IMO it is critical for Western Conference teams to be able to role 4 effective lines. One of the big adjustments Torts will contend with is travel out west. Not only are his players dealing with at least twice the travel time but he also loses practice time accordingly. A big difference to the very sheltered NYR experience.

I believe Garrison put 3 players out last year with his point shot hitting their ankles.

I like players who block shots but what drives me crazy is a player diving to block a shot which takes him out of the play, allowing an opponent to remain in front of the net untouched waiting for a rebound. Our defence were way too complacent in their own end last night. I hope this was just unfamiliarity with Torts' system as opposed to actually treating each opponent's possession in our zone like we are killing a penalty. I guess we will eventually find out.

Yes. I agree completely, and I'm not calling for Sestito and Weise to see more ice time - I'm suggesting there are probably more versatile depth players available - who may not drop the gloves as frequently. but can play shutdown. pk, and win faceoffs on the fourth line.

U NEED TO BLOCK SHOTS IN THE PLAYOFFS BUT IN THE REGULAR SEASON YOU DONT NEED THE SAME INTENSITY JOHN TORTELLA WANTS........

RECIPE FOR DISASTER -----------> SEDINS,KESLER,BURROWS BLOCKING SHOTS AND WHATS THE JOKERS ON THE 3RD LINE DOING ALONG WITH 4TH LINE nothing lol

THIS COACH IS MIKE KEENAN 2.0

I CAN SEE THE SHIP SINKING IT WONT BE LONG UNTIL CANUCKS FAN CALL OUT FOR GILLIS TO BE FIRED

U NEED TO BLOCK SHOTS IN THE PLAYOFFS BUT IN THE REGULAR SEASON YOU DONT NEED THE SAME INTENSITY JOHN TORTELLA WANTS........

RECIPE FOR DISASTER -----------> SEDINS,KESLER,BURROWS BLOCKING SHOTS AND WHATS THE JOKERS ON THE 3RD LINE DOING ALONG WITH 4TH LINE nothing lol

THIS COACH IS MIKE KEENAN 2.0

I CAN SEE THE SHIP SINKING IT WONT BE LONG UNTIL CANUCKS FAN CALL OUT FOR GILLIS TO BE FIRED

If shot blocking is done properly you really only get a bruise, which isnt generally a big deal. Shot blocking helped us so much last night especially on the PK, it saved our ass on that 5-3. When/if we end up getting better and back to our old selves and have possession of the puck and aren't taking tons of penalties because of it I think you'll see much, much less shot blocking because there is no need.

Here's what I think...I think, as in most things, you pick your battles. If they start blocking like maniacs other teams'll be ready for it...they'll expect it and work around it. So it can't be all the time...if, for no other reason, their poor bodies'll be so banged up it'll take its toll.

Sure, it's an effective tool but use it sparingly...combine it with effective stick work (see Bieksa and how he employs this tactic at times) and body positioning that can help take shots away.

L.A. was blocking everything the year they won the cup, but it's more about them competing for the puck man-to-man everywhere on the ice. It's one thing to be blocking bombs from 4 feet out, and another to be playing your man so tight that you're getting your stick and body not just in the lane, but in the way of him even getting off a decent shot. I think that becomes way more effective in the psychological side of the game.

Archived