The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ovechkin vs. Crosby?

Drouin

Individuals rarely win cups teams do and Ovechkin has never had anywhere close to the same team as Crosby

it's great to see Ovechkin back scoring and dominating the first 2 games of the season i hope it continues the league is better with him playing like this

I'm gonna have to call BS on that one. The Capitals have had teams that utterly destroy in the regular season.

2008-09 - Capitals 108 points. Penguins 99 points,

2009-10 - Capitals 121 points. Penguins 101 points. The Capitals also won the Presidents Trophy this year.

2010-11 - Capitals 107 points. Penguins 106 points.

2011-12 - Capitals 92 points. Penguins 108 points.

So there was about a three year stretch there where the Caps had a better team than the Penguins. They just couldn't get it done in the playoffs.

^^^

^^^Nas19

Also going to have to remind you that, although the Capitals were/are a good team, remember the division they were playing in:

Atlanta Thrashers/Winnipeg Jets

Carolina Hurricanes

Florida Panthers

Tampa Bay Lightning

All of these teams were, for the most part, downright brutal from 2008-2012.

Now look at who the Penguins had to play against during that time:

New Jersey Devils

New York Islanders

New York Rangers

Philadelphia Flyers

Aside from the Islanders, the Penguins had to play against significantly better teams and better goalies then the Capitals had to.

You also claim that because of the Capitals points, they were the better team, which is not the best logic. They didn't have a better goalie then the Penguins had, and their best players consisted of Semin, Ovechkin, Backstrom, and Green. Meanwhile, the Penguins had Crosby, Malkin (two of the three best players in the NHL), Letang, Neal, Martin, Staal.

So no, while the Capitals had a better record then the Penguins, they were not the better team.

Crosby is a better two-way player, and he is a much better playmaker. He's also a better leader. He is such a great captain; I mean when he was asked about MAF's playoff breakdowns he imidiatly answered "I didn't score a point in the finals, but since I'm not a goalie I didn't get benched..." Such a classy guy!

Crosby is a better two-way player, and he is a much better playmaker. He's also a better leader. He is such a great captain; I mean when he was asked about MAF's playoff breakdowns he imidiatly answered "I didn't score a point in the finals, but since I'm not a goalie I didn't get benched..." Such a classy guy!

In all honesty, it's difficult to compare the two because they are different players. They both play with tons of heart and agression, that you can't go wrong with either. As a whole, I'd prefer Crosby, simply because he's a centre. However, it's not as if Ovi is that much worse. Like Crosby, he doesn't throw anyone under the bus, taking responsibility for his bad play. If he was Canadian, people would applaud how much Ovechkin leaves on the ice.

Crosby still has only 1 cup. Compare him to Toews who has 2 cups in a shorter time with 1 Conn Smythe.

Hard to compare, Crosby a center, makes players around better, 2 way forward, but injury problems.

Ovechkin, pure offensive sniper, throws more hits, but not as good defensively

^^^

^^^Nas19

Also going to have to remind you that, although the Capitals were/are a good team, remember the division they were playing in:

Atlanta Thrashers/Winnipeg Jets

Carolina Hurricanes

Florida Panthers

Tampa Bay Lightning

All of these teams were, for the most part, downright brutal from 2008-2012.

Now look at who the Penguins had to play against during that time:

New Jersey Devils

New York Islanders

New York Rangers

Philadelphia Flyers

Aside from the Islanders, the Penguins had to play against significantly better teams and better goalies then the Capitals had to.

You also claim that because of the Capitals points, they were the better team, which is not the best logic. They didn't have a better goalie then the Penguins had, and their best players consisted of Semin, Ovechkin, Backstrom, and Green. Meanwhile, the Penguins had Crosby, Malkin (two of the three best players in the NHL), Letang, Neal, Martin, Staal.

So no, while the Capitals had a better record then the Penguins, they were not the better team.

I disagree but I don't feel like arguing about it.

I'm gonna have to call BS on that one. The Capitals have had teams that utterly destroy in the regular season.

2008-09 - Capitals 108 points. Penguins 99 points,

2009-10 - Capitals 121 points. Penguins 101 points. The Capitals also won the Presidents Trophy this year.

2010-11 - Capitals 107 points. Penguins 106 points.

2011-12 - Capitals 92 points. Penguins 108 points.

So there was about a three year stretch there where the Caps had a better team than the Penguins. They just couldn't get it done in the playoffs.

More points in the regular season doesn't equate to having a better team. Look at us winning the presidents trophy and then losing to the 8th seed team in 5 games, for example.

Archived