The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Where's the Hype?

kpower

This season seemed to begin with the least fanfare received by this team in over a decade... the team has some obvious shortcomings in the goal scoring department right now and a circus to overcome after "Lu-gate" but as a BC resident and avid hockey fan it seems like NHL hockey is waning in popularity in the province. A team only 2 seasons removed from the SCF and repeated division titles and Presidents trophies that has zero build up for the start of the season?

People seemed intrigued with Shinkaruk and Horvat but now that they're gone until next camp people have accepted the travesty that is the fourth line and the realization this team will need to win a lot of 2-1 games to make the playoffs.

Does anyone have suggestion as to where the fanfare is? Have the Whitecaps eaten into the market share? Surely the BC lions have not.... hearing more about the 4-0 Seahawks than the team in our backyard. Is it fairweather fans? This team can still win, just needs a few tweaks on offense and maybe some more skilled size (tough to come by I know) There is proof of the lack of enthusiasm in ticket availability (even in the playoffs last year?!?) I've also noticed no one "gets together" to watch games anymore at a pub or otherwise.... what gives? Even the message board is pretty quiet....

I'm looking forward to the first HNIC tomorrow and I hear people raving about the Senators, the Habs, and of course the leafs... where is the hype for the most successful team in Canada over the last 10 years?

I think it's "you fruit"... but seriously you think the Canucks are worse than the Oilers, Flames and Coyotes?

I have a hard time seeing them finish beneath those teams. Even the Ducks have a lot of holes, Canucks could easily finish 3rd. Injuries could definitely change the course for a lot of teams too - LA has been fortunate for a few years to remain healthy.

Only hype-worthy hope was in using unproven kids. We sent them down to junior and in all honestly they're not ready.

There's the coaching change, but so what?

That's that.

Everything Gillis has been saying as of late has hinted that this window is closed. I fully expect some of our prime core guys to be moved to where they have an opportunity to win. But if we let the Sedins go through free agency, that's when management throws a stick of dynamite in the room and holds their ears.

Likely though it's going to be a sad, inevitable decline. Just like Edmonton, Calgary, Ottawa before us.

Oh wait, forget that. Overreaction to one game. We're emulating Detroit. It's a process.

I think it's "you fruit"... but seriously you think the Canucks are worse than the Oilers, Flames and Coyotes?

I have a hard time seeing them finish beneath those teams. Even the Ducks have a lot of holes, Canucks could easily finish 3rd. Injuries could definitely change the course for a lot of teams too - LA has been fortunate for a few years to remain healthy.

How about this.

everyone takes a long look back say 3-4 years and ask yourselves how many season openers we have actually won The number will shock you.

Wait, didn't we win back to back presidents trophies those years?

Gasp didn't we hit the finals in one of those seasons?

Damn we lost our very first game missing a couple of players adjusting to a new system new coach new division.

Might as well move to Seattle Kansas or Vegas where the fans will cheer no matter what.

Sometimes I wonder if this fan base even deserves a team at times

I'm agreeing with Warhippy.

This is brutal. Sell outs.

Coyotes? Hard working, few slightly above average forwards (but zero top end talent) and good D. Goalie is inconsistent.

Flames? Awful. Not even going there. Worst team on paper in the west.

Oilers? Injuries, suspect goaltending (unproven at least) and zero D.

Ducks? Top heavy, weak D.

Canucks? Not enough secondary scoring, lacking sandpaper that can play the game.

San Jose? Solid team, has Canucks number which has bolstered fans opinion of them.

Kings? Possibly the league's best team. Probably why Canuck fans are hopeless.

In this crop how do the Canucks not finish 3rd or 4th? Those thinking the Oilers will somehow light it up this year better check down, they have no centers for the first 12-15 games and their captain is Andrew Ference. Defense wins consistently, they have 2-3 proven NHL d men and a goalie who's had that excuse to play to let in softies for years. Canucks will make the dance - count it.

I'm agreeing with Warhippy.

This is brutal. Sell outs.

Coyotes? Hard working, few slightly above average forwards (but zero top end talent) and good D. Goalie is inconsistent.

Flames? Awful. Not even going there. Worst team on paper in the west.

Oilers? Injuries, suspect goaltending (unproven at least) and zero D.

Ducks? Top heavy, weak D.

Canucks? Not enough secondary scoring, lacking sandpaper that can play the game.

San Jose? Solid team, has Canucks number which has bolstered fans opinion of them.

Kings? Possibly the league's best team. Probably why Canuck fans are hopeless.

In this crop how do the Canucks not finish 3rd or 4th? Those thinking the Oilers will somehow light it up this year better check down, they have no centers for the first 12-15 games and their captain is Andrew Ference. Defense wins consistently, they have 2-3 proven NHL d men and a goalie who's had that excuse to play to let in softies for years. Canucks will make the dance - count it.

Archived