The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Shinkaruk must be mad

Graham

Let me start off by saying, I am happy that Skinkaruk didn't eventually make the team, however, he was unfairly sent back to junior early. Being the same age as him, I can relate to the strength difference he faces in the NHL, and think there's a likely chance he would get injured (something as small as a separated shoulder has affected my hockey career, as a separated shoulder never heals to 100%).

I think we can all agree that he was playing very well in the preseason, and earned some time in the regular season (his 9 games). He had expressed his desire to make the team, as well as thinking he deserved to make the team this year, which is awesome; I love that type of confidence/ cockiness from our players.

The fact that he didn't stick around on the team for the start of the season blew my mind. Everything indicated he would. He had a great preseason, Torts likes young players, and Gillis knows and acknowledged that this team needs to get younger.

Shinkaruk still must be confused and angry. What does this decision show every prospect and young player in our organization??? No matter how well you play, if you are too young, you won't make the team. That's the way I would take it. The Canucks management has shown this year after year. So next offseason, what is every young player from the Canucks going to be thinking? "Why should I bother training real hard over the summer? It doesn't matter how good I am, If they think I'm too young, I won't make the team." I realize they will still train, and be ready, but that will be in the back of their heads the entire time, and I can tell Jensen has been thinking this way for the past two years.

It is not that we should be forcing young players into our line up, but when they've earned it, give them a chance. Also, I apologize in advance if this could go in another thread, however, I want to know your guys' opinions and I think it will get lost amongst the clutter quickly. I don't ever think I've even made a new topic on CDC so, I'd say I have the right to make one new topic.

Thoughts?

Being a hockey fan should be based on what you think, and not what other people think. Too many people get caught in the media, and due to the lack of success of the team or should i say, failures of the franchise, people are quick to criticize everything.

Gillis said he wanted to bring in youth, and nothing significant is different from the last team to this team. People want change but realistically, can you really expect a few 18 year olds to make a difference? If anything, pre-season proved that none of the prospects were ready and if it wasn't for Kassian being suspended, Jensen and Schroeder getting injured, Hunter, Bo, and Brendan would have been sent down earlier. Also blame the fact that our 3rd and 4th lines suck right now, and judging from the 1st game so far, this team might end up being a 2 line team for the the rest of the year.

What you can do is ask if yourself, "Are the prospects ready?". The clear answer is no but the fact that Gillis hasn't done squat, trading a elite goaltender for something that can't help us now, makes everyone bitter.

Shinkaruk is obviously mad, he wanted to make the team but he was clearly getting out muscled in every single play.

Let me start off by saying, I am happy that Skinkaruk didn't eventually make the team, however, he was unfairly sent back to junior early. Being the same age as him, I can relate to the strength difference he faces in the NHL, and think there's a likely chance he would get injured (something as small as a separated shoulder has affected my hockey career, as a separated shoulder never heals to 100%).

I think we can all agree that he was playing very well in the preseason, and earned some time in the regular season (his 9 games). He had expressed his desire to make the team, as well as thinking he deserved to make the team this year, which is awesome; I love that type of confidence/ cockiness from our players.

The fact that he didn't stick around on the team for the start of the season blew my mind. Everything indicated he would. He had a great preseason, Torts likes young players, and Gillis knows and acknowledged that this team needs to get younger.

Shinkaruk still must be confused and angry. What does this decision show every prospect and young player in our organization??? No matter how well you play, if you are too young, you won't make the team. That's the way I would take it. The Canucks management has shown this year after year. So next offseason, what is every young player from the Canucks going to be thinking? "Why should I bother training real hard over the summer? It doesn't matter how good I am, If they think I'm too young, I won't make the team." I realize they will still train, and be ready, but that will be in the back of their heads the entire time, and I can tell Jensen has been thinking this way for the past two years.

It is not that we should be forcing young players into our line up, but when they've earned it, give them a chance. Also, I apologize in advance if this could go in another thread, however, I want to know your guys' opinions and I think it will get lost amongst the clutter quickly. I don't ever think I've even made a new topic on CDC so, I'd say I have the right to make one new topic.

Thoughts?

He's so mad he scored two goals and will be a better player because of it. THINK ABOUT HOW HUNGRY HE IS TO PLAY HERE NEXT YEAR!?

Or as you have specualted he's going to pout about it, and not try hard because it didn't happen for him this year.

Do you even know how competitive pro athletes are? The reason they are pro's is because they try extremely hard in everything they do. Shink's not going to say here's your punishment for sending me back to junior. He's gonna say. I'm ready.

Getting the Burnaby Joe treatment is a good thing.

Being a hockey fan should be based on what you think, and not what other people think. Too many people get caught in the media, and due to the lack of success of the team or should i say, failures of the franchise, people are quick to criticize everything.

Gillis said he wanted to bring in youth, and nothing significant is different from the last team to this team. People want change but realistically, can you really expect a few 18 year olds to make a difference? If anything, pre-season proved that none of the prospects were ready and if it wasn't for Kassian being suspended, Jensen and Schroeder getting injured, Hunter, Bo, and Brendan would have been sent down earlier.

What you can do is ask if yourself, "Are the prospects ready?". The clear answer is no but the fact that Gillis hasn't done squat, trading a elite goaltender for something that can't help us now, makes everyone bitter.

Shinkaruk is obviously mad, he wanted to make the team but he was clearly getting out muscled in every single play.

Is it worth putting a player through waivers just to give Shink 5 to 9 games before sending him to junior? Somebody will have to pass waivers to be sent to the Comets once Kassian and Schroeder return. Those games can be used to assess new acquisitions and decide who that should be kept and who has to go through waivers, or we can use those games as a gift for Shinky knowing he's simply not staying and can't be recalled. It's all about protecting depth for the Canucks and I'm sure that was explained to him during his exit interview.

He's so mad he scored two goals and will be a better player because of it. THINK ABOUT HOW HUNGRY HE IS TO PLAY HERE NEXT YEAR!?

Or as you have specualted he's going to pout about it, and not try hard because it didn't happen for him this year.

Do you even know how competitive pro athletes are? The reason they are pro's is because they try extremely hard in everything they do. Shink's not going to say here's your punishment for sending me back to junior. He's gonna say. I'm ready.

Getting the Burnaby Joe treatment is a good thing.

I personally think that Shinkaruk showed enough skill to play 2nd line minutes, hes got excellent hands. And I remain optimistic about this season, I am not mad and critisizing everything, I just was very surprised by him being sent down.

And what was Horvats state of mind when someone picked way after him was still around when he was going home.Or Gaunce when as a first round pick he saw two younger players stick longer.What is best is what was done and the Canucks will bring in 3 NHL ready players when they are developed.

Maybe he is mad... but that seems like a childish attitude and I hope that hunter or any of our prospects for that matter, don't have it.

It may be hard to understand when your young but life ain't fair. Cory Schneider had to wait a loooong time to get his chance to start in the nhl. But he put his head down and worked his ass off. The management of a professional sports team won't accept anything less. Pouting about it will only ruin your shot in the nhl and you will have no one to blame but yourself.

Thoughts?

If you play sports, you should also know that after that feeling of being looked over or being "mad" comes the part where you work even harder to prove everyone wrong. Some athletes don't have this but the great ones do, and well, I think Shinkaruk has that attitude where if when someone says he can't do something, he makes them eat their words.

Archived