The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Brendan Gaunces Future On The Wing

Southpop45

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

just thought i would get your guys' opinion on this.

1) He seems to be significantly better offensively on the wing

2) He has been playing the wing this year in junior

3) In prospects camp and pre-season he seemed to struggle to score when he was playing center

He's too young to be definitive about it, but I think so. He has good vision but doesn't handle the puck well enough to handle traffic in the middle of the ice where he has to read/control multiple defenders. On the wing he only really has to worry about keeping the puck from the guy in front of him or moving it to the open player. His size would also be useful on the boards.

He has to improve his skating agility regardless of which position he ends up at though.

Probably if he wants to play in the top 6 (or 9) in the next year or two. Other wise with Kesler and Henrik, he'd have to be pretty solid to take down that 3rd line spot.

However since he's shown to be very good defensively at that age he shouldn't have problem becoming a solid 2nd/3rd line center once Henrik (and maybe KEsler) leaves/retired.

If he comes back to us with better skating and the ability to play either center or wing, it would be a major plus for the Canucks.

I have every confidence that Brendan is going to be a big player for us in a few years time - he just gives me that feeling that he can rise above every challenge before him.

He still has a long way to go, but if he is developed properly, he will be solid.

Might be a good thing since we're a bit shallow at LW after Shinkaruk for top 6 players. And Lain could very well develope into the 3rd line C with Kassian and Jensen on the RW

Shinkaruk-Kesler-Kassian

Gaunce-Horvat-Jensen

Higgins-Lain-Hansen

As a potential top 9

(Don't ask where Burrows or anyone is, cause who knows what'll end up happening over the next 3 years or so)

I was thinking about this yesterday when I was checking out how our prospects were doing. I got this feeling cassels is going to climb up the ladder as well. Since he's more of a hard nosed playmaker I was predicting a future third line of gaunce on the left wing and cassels down the middle.

Archived