The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Eastern Media raves about Mason Raymond's play

*Buzzsaw*

TSN leading the cheerleading of Mason Raymond, after a 2 goals, two assists in the pre season and a goal and a shootout winner in regular season.

Comments about his speed, playmaking ability and overall skill level.

And signed on a tryout for peanuts...

But Vancouver didn't need him, did they?

TSN leading the cheerleading of Mason Raymond, after a 2 goals, two assists and a shootout winner.

Comments about his speed, playmaking ability and overall skill level.

And signed on a tryout for peanuts...

But Vancouver didn't need him, did they?

Gillis is trying to change the team to be more successful in the playoffs. Its the reason why he is bringing in bunch of grinders like Richardson and Santorelli etc. If our goal was to be only successful in the regular season, then Gillis would've kept Raymond, AV, Ehrhoff etc. Raymond is always decent in the regular season but craps the bed in the playoffs. Hopefully Gillis brings in more playoff performers at the deadline.

Raymond is just too soft for the playoffs. But what confuses me is why Gillis got rid of Torres who is a playoff performer and a beast (hits like a mack truck). Imagine Torres in our lineup on the 3rd line:

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Burrows-Kesler-Booth

Hansen-Richardson-Torres

Higgins-Santorelli-Sestito

That is an extremely gritty and solid bottom six with some scoring ability. Then you have a pretty good top 6 with some grit. Torres would've been a really good fit with this team and I rather have him than Weise.

Re. Raymond's play in the Playoffs:

In 2010-2011 he had 8 points, same total as Chris Higgins, one less than Jannik Hansen, two less than Kevin Bieksa.

More points than Sami Salo, Raffi Torres, Maxim Lapierre, Dan Hamhuis and quite a number of others.

Sure will be funny if he gets another 25 goals for Toronto...

raymond needed to go... ghost in the playoffs, weak as a kitten, more afraid of the front of the net than I am of spiders.

the thing we DONT need is to replace his presence with the even weaker jordan schroeder.

Wow, it doesn't even need to be said here

On a side note, my cousin said in her FB post, I heart mason raymond, to which i responded I don't miss him, how many times did he fall down on his drive to the outside of the net, every bloody time, what makes it so different for the T Dot, I don't know, but it is not going to last for them, if it does, it might be because of Kadri who knows how to make passes that Kes couldn't

Summing it up:

- Raymond never fit on our team because he couldn't mesh in with the system.

- Raymond is fitting in Toronto because they play a free-for-all style and it lets him go all over the ice.

- Raymond always does well on contract years and gives up after.

- We have too much depth and have seen MayRay fail too much here to keep him around any longer.

...I hope he succeeds and does well but c'mon, don't make it sound like he's Ovechkin or something :lol: ...the guy sucked here plain and simple.

I always knew Raymond would do well elsewhere. He's got great potential. He was just becoming stale here. Perhaps complacency had set in or maybe he didn't feel like he needed to push himself or something. Who knows. Just because he has 2 goals in Toronto doesn't mean he would have had 2 goals here. Different team, different players, different role, different results. All we know for sure is that he had underperformed in Van for years and was eating up a roster spot without earning it.

Archived