The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Flyers interested in Curtis Glencross

Philly’s slow start has the rumor mill rumbling:

One name the Flyers have been kicking around is winger Curtis Glencross, who has been playing on Calgary’s first line. Glencross, 30, netted 26 points in 40 games last season. He has 24- and 26-goal seasons on his resume, he’s consistent, and he’s one of the few players on Calgary’s roster to play a gritty game.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20131007_Poor_Flyers_start_fuels_trade_buzz.html

Isn't it right handed D they need?

Gill, Coburn, Grossman, Streit, Gustafson, Meszaros and Timmonen = LHD. It was like us last year; it might not matter how many good LHD you have, if they're all LHD and uncomfortable on the right.

Booth Corrado and a 2knd for Voracek, or skip the 2knd and grab Simmonds.

How in the world are they struggling to find the score sheet with all that offensive talent, to the extent that they think they need to add ANOTHER expensive forward? Giroux, Voracek, Simmonds, Hartnell, Read and Couturier are all pointless in 3 games while Kris Newbury has a point, and as a whole they have only 1 GF/ game. On the other hand, Mason hasn't played poorly at all! (2.54 G.A.A., .915 s.v. %); all is strange in Holmgrenville.

Coburn has played the right side with Timmonen on the left for years.

Schenn is a right handed guy, and Streit has played a lot of right side in his career, as has Meszaros.

Holmgren doesn't appear to be a guy who cares a great deal about it - their top 5 prospects all shoot left as well, including the two guys they just drafted with their top 2 picks...

My take is that guys like Streit are absolutely fine playing the powerplay on the right side (same with Garrison for us, Florida prior). I watched more than one interview with Garrison last year where he made it abundantly clear he preferred the left side. Once you take these guys and force them to make their defensive plays backhanded, facing the board where they can't see whom they are passing to, on their offside... Well they just won't be as effective.

It does not matter how good a player they are.

Funny thing; with all those high priced, high calibre left handed D men they still get called out for playing absolutely ordinary defensively. And its common perception that they need an upgrade on D despite, even excluding Pronger, the biggest payroll in the league attributed to defence.

My take is that guys like Streit are absolutely fine playing the powerplay on the right side (same with Garrison for us, Florida prior). I watched more than one interview with Garrison last year where he made it abundantly clear he preferred the left side. Once you take these guys and force them to make their defensive plays backhanded, facing the board where they can't see whom they are passing to, on their offside... Well they just won't be as effective.

It does not matter how good a player they are.

If I'm the Flames I don't move Glencross unless the offer is too good to pass up. The Flames need a guy like Glencross to show their younger players how to play night in/night out. Glencross probably isn't good enough to be on most teams first line, but he's a guy that can play in any situation with grit and skill. He's not going to help Calgary get anywhere now, but his leadership might help shape this team down the road.

Archived