The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do you live in the present?

Mainly Mattias

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Sooo.. in order to reduce stress, it helps to be living in the present. I went to this workshop on Mindfulness a few months ago (did i talk about this already??) and it was interesting once you got over the feeling silly part. We were told to sit for 2 minutes, pay attention to our breathing and thoughts, impartially observing when our minds wandered, not self-judging. Another exercise was active listening - sitting with a partner and actually listening to the person talking and not trying to think of when to interrupt him to say what you wanted to say. The speaker talked about plenty of other things but in essence, I suppose it was all a practice of being more self-aware and conscious of life as you're living it.

Are you stressed out, worrying about the future or angry about the past?

Do you constantly judge and berate yourself on things you do?

Are you unable to sleep well because your mind is running a mile a minute thinking about things you did or things you should have done or things you have to do the next day?

Would it help to 'live in the present'?

This quote by Homer Simpson about says it for me:

Marge, there's just too much pressure, what with my job, the kids, traffic snarls, political strife at home and abroad. But I promise you, the second all those things go away, we'll have sex.

Unfortunately I live in the future and limit myself to overthinking what would happened if I do/say something and am very awkward as a result since I end up saying nothing since my brain can find negative results in everything, not a fun thing to do since it makes talking to people really difficult.

This quote by Homer Simpson about says it for me:

Marge, there's just too much pressure, what with my job, the kids, traffic snarls, political strife at home and abroad. But I promise you, the second all those things go away, we'll have sex.

Who put sunshine in your cereal today?

And self judgement and anxiety is what keeps me at the top of my game and one step ahead. It's a lot mentally but I wouldn't be high functioning without it. "Living in the moment" to me is a sorority girl screaming "YOLO" before downing body shots -- bollocks.. Tracing two steps back and constantly analyzing the past makes the possibilities in the future easier to deal with.

I live for the now, but because of that, I have absolutely nothing for the future and I'm already 22

I used too be stressed about everything, I had a lot of anxiety and I was depressed. Now I just don't really take anything seriously. That in itself isn't good either. It's difficult to find a good balance of the two. Being worried about the future isn't necessarily a bad thing as long as it isn't negatively effecting the present

A little bit of all 3

I do think about the past more then I should, and as a student I obviously have a tendency to think about the future a lot

Which can be both beneficial and harmful. While it lights a fire under my ass most of the time, sometimes it gets overwhelming. I should probably learn to take a step back when that happens.

Hmm.. Living in the present is different that the concept of carpe diem/yolo. Yes, you are supposed to be appreciating life as it happens, but you can be a responsible planner, prepare for the future properly and still live in the present. Living in the future doesn't mean that you're ready for what comes next, but that you are not in the now - you are worrying about the exam tomorrow or the pressures of the upcoming debt deadlines, or thinking about what next to say in the discussion instead of listening to what your friend has to say.

Archived