The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Parking brake doesn't brake. Did it break?

Mainly Mattias

OK, so I'm used to the parking brake doing its job and stopping the car.

However, there are other vehicles where you can drive with the parking brake engaged??!! :frantic: I thought it might have just been my friend's car but it's the same on my mom's.. Is this a thing with some cars or is that not supposed to happen?!!

I park my mom's car on an incline and though I engage the parking brake, I feel it moving forward to rest on the transmission (and grimace every time) and I question the effectiveness of the brake.. and TBH the safety of anything downhill...

I've driven with it on before - it'll wear your brakes down; as long as you don't make a habit of driving with the E brake on you'll be fine.

It's normal, everybody does it once in a blue moon, you may have worn the brakes a bit, just park it like you normally would - or if its really bothering you that much, grab a piece of wood or a rock to jam under a tire or two until you get it looked at.

I've driven with it on before - it'll wear your brakes down; as long as you don't make a habit of driving with the E brake on you'll be fine.

It's normal, everybody does it once in a blue moon, you may have worn the brakes a bit, just park it like you normally would - or if its really bothering you that much, grab a piece of wood or a rock to jam under a tire or two until you get it looked at.

the parking break doesn't lock up the wheels, it's just a small break that is strong enough to simply keep a car at rest from moving if the parking pin is disengaged. when applying power from the engine every parking break should allow the car move forward. if you ever see a car rolling down the highway with some white smoke coming from it, it usually means they forgot to disengage the parking break.

Besides the above noted points (drum brakes vs disc brakes, small separate brake, curbs/wheels etc), you may also need to tighten the cable that activates the brake when you pull on the e-brake handle inside the car. They do come lose over time.

Archived