The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Would You Trade Schneids Again?

Imagine a stacked team like Bos, Chi or LA get a 'tender injury & offer 3 great pieces(eg:2 developed fine prospects,AND a 1st, which NJ doesn't have in 2014).

Assume it's mid-season, & NJ's already way out of a PO spot, but Schneids is their brightest light.

How'bout a team like Philly offers Simmonds or Voracek, prospect, AND a 1st? (b/c they're desperate for a decent 'tender, forever)

...I only ask this now, because I'm guessing LL will get some pretty big offers for Cory(as PO pretenders/contenders get identified). He can view it as a great return on a #9 pick.

Doubt they'll trade Schneider considering they got him 'easy'. Already found their starting goalie for the next decade and lets Brodeur ride off into the sunset. They have no goalie prospect ready to play in the NHL unless Lou is willing to suck for at least 5 years waiting on either Wedgewood or Anthony Brodeur to shine.

Edmonton was offering us 7th overall, who we could of got Nurse who is better than Horvat IMO. Plus he's an offensive d-man. And 2nd round pick (which we didn't have) and one of there d-man prospects you tell me which one we shuld have chose whichever gets you the best return you take. New Jersey honestly got him for a bag of pucks. We didn't eve get an NHL ready player. For all we know Horvat could be a bust

Edmonton was offering us 7th overall, who we could of got Nurse who is better than Horvat IMO. Plus he's an offensive d-man. And 2nd round pick (which we didn't have) and one of there d-man prospects you tell me which one we shuld have chose whichever gets you the best return you take. New Jersey honestly got him for a bag of pucks. We didn't eve get an NHL ready player. For all we know Horvat could be a bust

No they didn't. Edmonton offered their late 1st round pick, a 2nd, and Paajarvi I'm most certain. That's horrible considering we wouldn't even get a top 10 pick for him.

To answer the OPs question, yes I would do it again. Maybe try to get a bit more, say a depth player/mid pick/young prospect, but if not, I'd still take it. Anything to have the goalie controversy over with and not start another season with both Cory and Lu.

....still baffles me how some people don't understand why we traded him to New Jersey...if we gave him to Edmonton, Cory would make them contenders right away and come back to bite us in the @ss every season 3-4 times a year whereas in the east, he won't effect us much and instead, we kicked his butt. It was obvious Schneider was never going to be traded within the conference unless if it was a massive overpayment like Eberle and a 1st coming our way and for anyone who thought he was should think otherwise.

Considering we don't have the information Gillis had at the time and we needed to trade a goalie, I'd guess he made the best choice for the team at the time.

The better question is why a team like Philly didn't just pony up before this became a controversy? They could have saved themselves the time spent on Bryz and the costly buyout. Trust me, I'd much rather be where we are than where they are.

Considering we don't have the information Gillis had at the time and we needed to trade a goalie, I'd guess he made the best choice for the team at the time.

The better question is why a team like Philly didn't just pony up before this became a controversy? They could have saved themselves the time spent on Bryz and the costly buyout. Trust me, I'd much rather be where we are than where they are.

This is conjecture. I've never seen an actual source on this.

PS. One only needs to look as far as Dubnyk this year to realize what a mess the Oilers are in. Schneider changes that immediatley and drastically. Unless we were handicapping the Oilers offensively/getting immediate help ourselves, yes we made the right move.

Personally, I was hoping Schneids would return some immediate scoring help, but what's done is done.

It was a good trade, we have a great goalie, and in the same sentiment as Lou from last night, let's move on...

Except trading with a division rival like the Oilers would have been a terrible idea. And regardless what you think, New Jersey didn't get him for a "bag of pucks." They traded a 9th overall in a deep draft for a goalie who has never played a whole season in the NHL. Not only that, but the Devils also don't have a first round pick until 2015, because of the Kovalchuk fiasco. I know you love Schneider, but trading a 9th overall for a goaltender has never played more then 33 games in a season and less then 100 games in total, is a lot more then he's really worth.

Sorry, should have explained the question more clearly. I meant, if you were in LL's position, would you trade him a 2nd time?

That's assuming he's back to playing excellent; but the returning package was also excellent. Because I foresee this happening. If NJ continues to play lousy, maybe CS will want to move on anyways(to a contender), instead of signing another contract, next year.

If a team like Pitt got Schneids(they send Fleury, a 1st, AND a great D prospect, for example), they'd be terrifying!

Archived