The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Country fans! Best concerts to go to?

Hank Moody

So ive been into the country scene for about a year now and ive absolutely fallen in love with it. Attended my first country show a couple weeks ago (Jason Aldean, but I namely went to see Jake Owen), and had an absolute time! Instead of the old EDM-gangster-thug-raver-druggie crowd I used to be mixed in with, the tunes were great here and people were actually having FUN (crazy, right?) drinkin together, the environment and atmosphere was the best ive yet to see in any concert.

What are some must-see artists live? Ive noticed that there isnt much in Vancouver too often but I spend a ton of time in LA as well and theyve got a pretty jam packed lineup year round. Ive heard brad paisley was a great show as well.

Any recommendations? And was the Aldean concert an anomyly or are most country music fans that rowdy and fun to party with?

So ive been into the country scene for about a year now and ive absolutely fallen in love with it. Attended my first country show a couple weeks ago (Jason Aldean, but I namely went to see Jake Owen), and had an absolute time! Instead of the old EDM-gangster-thug-raver-druggie crowd I used to be mixed in with, the tunes were great here and people were actually having FUN (crazy, right?) drinkin together, the environment and atmosphere was the best ive yet to see in any concert.

What are some must-see artists live? Ive noticed that there isnt much in Vancouver too often but I spend a ton of time in LA as well and theyve got a pretty jam packed lineup year round. Ive heard brad paisley was a great show as well.

Any recommendations? And was the Aldean concert an anomyly or are most country music fans that rowdy and fun to party with?

No specific artist recommendations. But I can tell you that country music fans are always that rowdy and fun! If you really like country music and are looking for the highest level of rowdiness I would suggest you come to Craven Country Jamboree here in Saskatchewan. It is ridiculous and like nothing ever experienced before. Not to mention getting to see a lot of the top country singers all in one weekend. However, I only recommend this if you are looking for the extreme amount of rowdiness and partying. Hygiene goes out the window at Craven and it all happens in a big mud hole. It is by no means for everyone.

Corb Lund and the Hurtin' Albertans! Well worth seeing. Just some good old toe tapping tunes.

As far as major acts, they are all worth seeing strictly based on the atmosphere you spoke of. Right now, a Luke Bryan show would be off the charts. My sister just saw Zac Brown Band and loved them. You can't really go wrong with any of them right now.

Toby!!!! Bullets in the gun/ford tough concert was a great one.

"And the Beaver will bite and there's gonna be hell when you hear mother freedom start ringing your bell and it feels like the whole world is raining down on you, the great north will leave you for dead...brought to you courtesy of the red white and red!!!"

Or the classic live version

"Go west young man haven't you been told, BC's got the best women, whiskey, weed and gold"

No specific artist recommendations. But I can tell you that country music fans are always that rowdy and fun! If you really like country music and are looking for the highest level of rowdiness I would suggest you come to Craven Country Jamboree here in Saskatchewan. It is ridiculous and like nothing ever experienced before. Not to mention getting to see a lot of the top country singers all in one weekend. However, I only recommend this if you are looking for the extreme amount of rowdiness and partying. Hygiene goes out the window at Craven and it all happens in a big mud hole. It is by no means for everyone.

I have heard AMAZING things about this. Definately on the list! When does it usually run? And is it worth driving out from Vancity or is there a comparable in Alberta?

I have heard AMAZING things about this. Definately on the list! When does it usually run? And is it worth driving out from Vancity or is there a comparable in Alberta?

It runs from July 9th to the 13th (with the more well known artists being on the main stage from the 11th to the 13th) this year. In my opinion it would definitely be worth the drive! The whole idea of a road trip would potentially make it even more awesome. I'm from Saskatchewan and I don't know of anything really comparable. Manitoba has the Dauphin Country fest which is a little more tame for the people who just want to relax and hear a few well known country singers (also is further away from you). As for in Alberta, I really don't know of anything close. Perhaps the Stampede could have some similarities but I think it would be a different experience overall. The only released performance for Craven this year is Keith Urban. I've seen him before and people really liked him. But he doesn't sing the kind of country music I like, so I wasn't overly impressed with him. I recommend keeping an eye out for further announcement for it though!

It runs from July 9th to the 13th (with the more well known artists being on the main stage from the 11th to the 13th) this year. In my opinion it would definitely be worth the drive! The whole idea of a road trip would potentially make it even more awesome. I'm from Saskatchewan and I don't know of anything really comparable. Manitoba has the Dauphin Country fest which is a little more tame for the people who just want to relax and hear a few well known country singers (also is further away from you). As for in Alberta, I really don't know of anything close. Perhaps the Stampede could have some similarities but I think it would be a different experience overall. The only released performance for Craven this year is Keith Urban. I've seen him before and people really liked him. But he doesn't sing the kind of country music I like, so I wasn't overly impressed with him. I recommend keeping an eye out for further announcement for it though!

Yep! I liked keith urban before I was really into country so I bought his tix for january. Really stoked for that one.

Thanks for the info brother! I think a road trip is in the works!

I like some new country, occasionally I'll stick JRFM on. I wouldn't mind seeing Luke Bryan in concert (though you'd need to take some shades as his teeth will probably blind you).

Abbotsford seems to get the country gigs from what I know (which is very little, like you I only started listening to some last year).

You guys can't tell me that you believe that these new dudes can compare to the likes of Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, etc.

Of course not, and I listen to them as well. But we can either choose to sit here and bitch about how its not the same or we can learn to love both types of country. I mean if theres no new johnny cash material coming out, whos gonna get excited about new releases if youre stuck in the past?

I just can't get into any new country artist.

They all seem so manufactured and superficial.

Hey that's your opinion and I totally respect that! (crap CDC'ers never say lol)

I don't think any of the new guys match up against the legends, but there sure as hell are some great tunes out there today.

Definately my favorite right now.

Old country > new country.

Outlaw and Alternative Country > Pop/Rap/Urban Country

There is a ton of good stuff still out there, you just have to know where to look. Check out Sturgill Simpson or Corb Lund. Or heck, even Connor Christian and Adam Hood for Alternative Country.

Zac Brown is pretty much the only good country artist on the radio these days though. I still like Eric Church sometimes too.

Best live concert I've ever been in any genre was an acoustic Paul Brandt benefit concert. Wow it was moving.

Craven will be by far your best bet for a festival.

Nobody will ever touch a Garth Brooks live show. He is the GOAT.

Garth is a great entertainer, no one beats his live shows... But I'd have to say musically it's too close to call between him and the king for the GOAT debate.

Archived