The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Worlds Largest telescope Stalled BY Conservative Funding Holdup

Warhippy

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/world-s-largest-telescope-stalled-by-canadian-funding-woes-1.1935793

Plans to build the world's largest telescope in B.C. are under threat because Canada has yet to come through with its funding share.

The 30-metre telescope, called the TMT, will be constructed in B.C. by Port Coquitlam-based company Dynamic Structures before it is shipped to a site either in Chile or Hawaii, where weather and light conditions are optimal for observations of the night sky.

"This is yet another example of us losing credibility internationally as we back out of yet another one of our international commitments."- Andrew Weaver, B.C. Green Party MLA

The $1.2 billion project is supposed to be funded by five countries.

Japan, India, China, and the U.S. have all committed funds towards the $1.2 billion project, but Canada's contribution — about $200 million — has yet to be approved by the federal government.

"We're concerned in terms of time. Time becomes crucial," said Dave Halliday, president of Dynamic Structures.

"The most important thing is, we have got to move fast... otherwise the technology is ahead of us. Everyone has been working on this for a long time and we want some positive action."

Andrew Weaver, a climate scientist at the University of Victoria and a B.C. Green Party MLA, said the telescope's funding delays is indicative of how the federal government is holding back on major projects.

"This is outrageous. People do not trust Canada's participation in some of these projects now," he said.

"This is yet another example of us losing credibility internationally as we back out of yet another one of our international commitments, but this one will have serious consequences."

tmt-telescope.jpg

The 30-metre telescope, called the TMT, will be constructed in B.C. by Port Coquitlam-based company Dynamic Structures. (CBC)

The TMT project is led by the California Institute of Technology and the Associated Canadian Universities for Research in Astronomy.

Scientists hope to be able to use the gargantuan telescope to probe dark energy and dark matter, the formation and evolution of galaxies, and black holes and the origins of stars and planets.

=========================

Just imagine, if they stopped airing those Economic Action Plan ads for an economic action plan that doesn't exist, we could pay for it.

Cannot believe how much of a joke this country is becoming in the scientific community under this government.

Yet we can afford to spy on brazil at the behest of Canadian energy corporations. Unbelievable.

What a shame...US has stopped funding NASA too with the government holdup crap....this is ridiculous! Countries spend billions of dollars for war daily but can't fund experiments that will help advance human civilization and the understanding of life as a whole more. Just pisses me off :picard:

The most disgusting point of all this is that if we took MP's expenses for the year in Ottawa, we could pay for this twice...

There is literally no reason to hold this up, as you said they're costing us valuable and very well paying jobs and possibly damaging this companies reputation worldwide in a growing industry

Waah I don't have the tax payers money yet so I can stare at the stars. Ground based telescopes are practically obsolete. Space ones are better. Weaver is just another cry baby leftie.

If the title said Fed spends $200 mil on a telescope you'd all go bananas over that saying they should spend that money on welfare or healthcare.

Looked it up, and i'm right about these telescopes being way better than the space ones. 20x Hubble resolution at a way lower cost.

I have no problem seeing federal money go to a local company for this. If they promised it, then they should follow through. They waste more money on actual useless crap every day.

Good, I'm glad this government isn't rolling over like little bitches, allowing anything that's proposed to them... Why does Canada need to fund a telescope that's going to be owned by 4 other countries? They are bigger countries and will own most of it. Canada doesn't need to fund EVERYTHING the US is involved with.. 200 million can be used better elsewhere, not on a telescope.

Looked it up, and i'm right about these telescopes being way better than the space ones. 20x Hubble resolution at a way lower cost.

I have no problem seeing federal money go to a local company for this. If they promised it, then they should follow through. They waste more money on actual useless crap every day.

Good, I'm glad this government isn't rolling over like little bitches, allowing anything that's proposed to them... Why does Canada need to fund a telescope that's going to be owned by 4 other countries? They are bigger countries and will own most of it. Canada doesn't need to fund EVERYTHING the US is involved with.. 200 million can be used better elsewhere, not on a telescope.

Oh we have a scholar!

OK like what?

Might I add that they just gave Halifax and Irving Shipyards $11 BILLION for 900 jobs...900 jobs and that IS billion with a B

This is something they contractually AGREED TO. THEY HAVE PROMISED IN WRITING.

They wasted $124 million last year running economic Action Plan ads (brought to you by the conservative party of Canada) when the actual economic action plan had ceased to exist 4 months prior to the launch of these ads.

It is ironic they roll over constantly for the USA, China any and all oil companies and then run and hide the facts yet refuse to actually pay the money that they contractually agreed to pay in regards to this project.

I guess they're little b*****s when they want, but not where they need to be

Where did you hear that fact? And the telescope is going to be built whether or not Canada helps fund it.... I'm sure they will get another country or two to chip in if it's so important to build it...

Just read up on the shipyard thing.. Harper gave them money to build SHIPS, not to just make JOBS. Harper's not stupid, like you think he is. He didn't give them 11 billion to "make jobs".... They will build Navy Vessels, coastguard ships, barges, you name it.. Put the other facts in before you blindly say he spent 11 billion to give a few hundred people jobs...

Where did you hear that fact? And the telescope is going to be built whether or not Canada helps fund it.... I'm sure they will get another country or two to chip in if it's so important to build it...

Just read up on the shipyard thing.. Harper gave them money to build SHIPS, not to just make JOBS. Harper's not stupid, like you think he is. He didn't give them 11 billion to "make jobs".... They will build Navy Vessels, coastguard ships, barges, you name it.. Put the other facts in before you blindly say he spent 11 billion to give a few hundred people jobs...

Archived