The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rebuild on the Go (How Would You Do It?)

Remember2011Guys?

This iteration of the Canucks does not look like it could teams such as Chicago, San Jose, St. Louis or LA in a playoff series. Sure we could remain competitive, but we want a cup.

With only a few high-end prospects in the pipeline it seems the team is in need for a minor re-build, similar to what Ottawa did. I think it's worth it to keep the Sedins on board as we transition towards youth (Horvat, Shinkaruk, Jensen, etc.).

In my view the most viable trading pieces are: Alex Edler, Alex Burrows, Kevin Bieksa and Ryan Kesler. They don't all have to go, but two of them should.

Alex Edler - Has all the tools, but at 27 years old has yet to put it together.

Value: a 1st round pick and a prospect.

Alex Burrows - Clutch role player with a heart of gold, but not getting any younger.

Value: a 1st or 2nd round pick plus a player.

Kevin Bieksa - Inconsistent and a little sloppy.

Value: a 2nd round pick plus a player or prospect.

Ryan Kesler - Centre without playmaking abilities. A terrific competitor when motivated.

Value: a 1st round pick plus a player and prospect.

How would you rebuild this team without blowing it up?

tell you what...

Come trade deadline, if we are making the playoffs, we wont trade anyone. Instead we'll be looking to upgrade our lineup.

Come trade deadline, if we are out of the playoffs picture, then yes we will be looking to offload some of our players. Most likely Tanev, Booth, or Hansen.

I don't even need a crystal ball to know this is what''s going to happen. So there's no way we will be offloading core players 2 weeks into the regular season.

I would trade kesler if we do not make the play offs. Also would trade edler. However I would not go into a full rebuild just a mini one.

Trade deadline stl goes looking for some upgrades.

Trade kesler to stl for a prospect one of their goalies.

Trade edler to col if they are making the playoffs.

Trade luongo to fla for one of their prospects or their first round pick.

This iteration of the Canucks does not look like it could teams such as Chicago, San Jose, St. Louis or LA in a playoff series. Sure we could remain competitive, but we want a cup.

With only a few high-end prospects in the pipeline it seems the team is in need for a minor re-build, similar to what Ottawa did. I think it's worth it to keep the Sedins on board as we transition towards youth (Horvat, Shinkaruk, Jensen, etc.).

In my view the most viable trading pieces are: Alex Edler, Alex Burrows, Kevin Bieksa and Ryan Kesler. They don't all have to go, but two of them should.

Alex Edler - Has all the tools, but at 27 years old has yet to put it together.

Value: a 1st round pick and a prospect.

Alex Burrows - Clutch role player with a heart of gold, but not getting any younger.

Value: a 1st or 2nd round pick plus a player.

Kevin Bieksa - Inconsistent and a little sloppy.

Value: a 2nd round pick plus a player or prospect.

Ryan Kesler - Centre without playmaking abilities. A terrific competitor when motivated.

Value: a 1st round pick plus a player and prospect.

How would you rebuild this team without blowing it up?

The league has changed and unless you have elite skilled players like Crosby, Kane and Hossa, the emphasis has shifted over to size, strength, and speed with team bias towards defense.

So any changes to the team should be made according to this new 'doctrine'. I for one can't wait to see what Horvat and Shinkurak to do in the NHL.

-Did Detroit look like they could compete with the hawks last year in playoffs. They were 1 goal away from beating the Stanley cup champions. And they snuck into playoffs.

-Did the 2012 NJ devils look like a team that should have make it all the way to the SCF.

-Did the 8th seed Montreal Canadians look like a team that was supposed to make it to the conference finals in 2010.

The point is, enough with the window is closing, we need to rebuild BS. As long as a team makes playoffs they have a 1/16 chance of winning the cup. Winning a 7 game series relies so much on luck as it does skill. If Hansen scores the empty net in game 2 last year that series would have changed dramatically. In our cup run we had a puck go off the stanchions right onto Bieska stick, if we had a little better luck with injuries we may have won the cup. This team has played 5 games this year, that’s it.

Kinda feels weird saying this but maybe Kesler. Hell of a player but if we can't find a winger soon that can dish him passes all day, we gotta do something about it.

He's one of my favorite players but if he's going to end up on the third line, we gotta ditch his 5 mill and change the dynamic of the second line. Get a real sick package for him and go second line centre shopping. Try and make a move like the turris deal. I know that's easier said than done but it might be the best way to really maximize a retooling and solidify being back on top with poised youngsters really soon.

Say you got something like Strome and a first for him. All the sudden we're looking pretty solid post sedin era and the forced youthful injection into the top six would be pretty exciting.

I mean if the team really is taking a step back here then adding a couple Torres and Lappy type guys mid season isn't going to get us anywhere. If we're not looking too solid mid season look to trade Ryan Kesler, maximize the value and change the dynamic of the core so we can start climbing the ladder again.

So after 5 games you have come down to the to the idea we are not going to compete against teams like Chicago,LA,and S.t.Louis when we haven't played one game against them yet. How many times have we seen the Sharks go out like gangbusters only to fluff their way out of the playoffs? Unless you have a crystall ball in your hands we have no idea how things turn out once the playoffs starts. Remember the regular season means nothing as long as you make the dance anything can happen.

Hey we all want the cup! But unfortunately they're are 29 other teams that want the cup as well. Ask yourself if your the GM for the other team would you be willing to give up prospects or high draft picks for guys like Burrows ,or Bieska? Look at it another way did you really think that we could have gotten more out of Schnieder besides a first round pick?

Look at Detroit! They stay competitive and slowly reload.

Anyone who thinks this team can win in the West (not just compete, win) is absolutely delusional. This roster is virtually unchanged from the previous 2 seasons and is arguably worse, if not simply older.

This isn't a knee jerk reaction either. When you win 1 out of your last 9 playoff games over the last two years, it's hard to be optimistic. Looking at the current roster, plus the assets we have as trade bait I personally think a minor rebuild is the best course of action. Look, through 5 games our scrappy little team under Torts has clawed it's way to a few comeback victories against bottom feeders, but those San Jose games are what define this team.

Sure, we could load up and trade our 1st and 2nd round picks plus some of our very few prospects for a playoff push (*cough* Derek Roy *cough*) that MIGHT get us to the second round.

Or, if Spring rolls along and we're clearly not a contender, or out of the playoff picture in general, I say we start selling off some parts to reset for the next few years. Don't forget San Jose traded Clowe, Murray and Handzus last year while still trying to win.

Move one of burrows Kesler edler Bieksa Hansen each kver the next five seasons for a high first + 2 or whatever we get... Then package the other first and our first for a really high first over the next five seasons

Ekblad this year with high pick

Barzal next year with high pick

Day the next year with high pick

Etc

tell you what...

Come trade deadline, if we are making the playoffs, we wont trade anyone. Instead we'll be looking to upgrade our lineup.

Come trade deadline, if we are out of the playoffs picture, then yes we will be looking to offload some of our players. Most likely Tanev, Booth, or Hansen.

I don't even need a crystal ball to know this is what''s going to happen. So there's no way we will be offloading core players 2 weeks into the regular season.

Archived