The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks don't have a TOP 6, we have a BOTTOM 9...

Nucks-4-Life

Outside of the Sedin brothers, who can we rely on for scoring at this point?

Kesler is a shadow of his former self, and I think even the Kesler lovers can agree that he just isn't the sniper he thinks he is. He is better suited to a checking center role on the 3rd line where any offence he produces is just a bonus, and not his main focus. I love the hustle of Higgins and Hansen, but let's be honest, they are good 3rd liners, but really poor 2nd liners.

For those saying injury troubles are the issue at the moment, I agree that we need Burrows back, but I think his ceiling at this point is 25 goals. Kassian? When has he ever been a consistent top 6 player? It's my belief he will spend the majority of the season on the 4th line. Schroeder? I love the jump in his game, but in 3 seasons in the AHL he is yet to show dominance. It's not fair to expect him to be our 2nd line scoring centerman.

GM Mike Gillis has had years to solve this issue, including the extended break during the lock-out. I guess we all figured the goalie trade would return a top 6 player. That obviously didn't happen. It's in my opinion that he is in over his head, and since the loss to Boston he has been trying to model our team after others. Instead of being the follower, he needs to create a unique identity for this team.

With the cap going down this season, I believe the solution lied with one of our rookies. How Shinkaruk didn't make the opening night roster still baffles me. I understand he is young, but why not give Jensen a few games to impress? Dalpe has been non-existent as the 4th line centerman with limited ice-time, might as well have put Gaunce in that role. We all know the previous coaching regime could not develop top 6 forwards, I had higher hopes for the Torts regime though...

What is the solution here? We went from being in the easiest division in the league to the toughest. If not addressed, missing the playoffs this year is a certainty. As a Canucks fan I'm worried.

Which part of this is funny? I tend to agree with you OP. This has been discussed a lot and I agree with a lot of your points. Kesler isn't a 3C though, he just needs line mates, like very 2C in this league.Sure, some players like Toews, Crosby, Henrik, Stamkos can make others better around them, but they are 1C's, and even they have players to play with. (Crosby-Kunits,Toews-Hossa, Henrik-Daniel).

I've said for years that he's probably the best "third" line centre in the league. He's quick enough to be dangerous in a checking role, but relying on him outright for scoring is not a good idea.

And this has been the case now for his whole career barring one blip season.

Outside of the Sedin brothers, who can we rely on for scoring at this point?

Kesler is a shadow of his former self, and I think even the Kesler lovers can agree that he just isn't the sniper he thinks he is. He is better suited to a checking center role on the 3rd line where any offence he produces is just a bonus, and not his main focus. I love the hustle of Higgins and Hansen, but let's be honest, they are good 3rd liners, but really poor 2nd liners.

For those saying injury troubles are the issue at the moment, I agree that we need Burrows back, but I think his ceiling at this point is 25 goals. Kassian? When has he ever been a consistent top 6 player? It's my belief he will spend the majority of the season on the 4th line. Schroeder? I love the jump in his game, but in 3 seasons in the AHL he is yet to show dominance. It's not fair to expect him to be our 2nd line scoring centerman.

GM Mike Gillis has had years to solve this issue, including the extended break during the lock-out. I guess we all figured the goalie trade would return a top 6 player. That obviously didn't happen. It's in my opinion that he is in over his head, and since the loss to Boston he has been trying to model our team after others. Instead of being the follower, he needs to create a unique identity for this team.

With the cap going down this season, I believe the solution lied with one of our rookies. How Shinkaruk didn't make the opening night roster still baffles me. I understand he is young, but why not give Jensen a few games to impress? Dalpe has been non-existent as the 4th line centerman with limited ice-time, might as well have put Gaunce in that role. We all know the previous coaching regime could not develop top 6 forwards, I had higher hopes for the Torts regime though...

What is the solution here? We went from being in the easiest division in the league to the toughest. If not addressed, missing the playoffs this year is a certainty. As a Canucks fan I'm worried.

Thanks for the support brah. Typical CDC who like to hang on Gillis' nuts.

The problem with Kesler is that we have tried a ton of guys with him and nothing fits:

-Demitra

-Samuelson

-Grabner

-Higgins

-Burrows

-Booth

-Roy

-Hodgson

What's it gonna take to get him going?

The problem I see is that it is the style of game he plays. He gains the zone and then wires a wrist shot either off target or at the goalies chest. He is not Ovechkin, his shot just isn't that good. He needs to start gaining the zone and looking to make plays with his wingers. Maybe Torts will start working on him.

The problem with Kesler is that we have tried a ton of guys with him and nothing fits:

-Demitra

-Samuelson

-Grabner

-Higgins

-Burrows

-Booth

-Roy

-Hodgson

The problem I see is that it is the style of game he plays. He gains the zone and then wires a wrist shot either off target or at the goalies chest. He is not Ovechkin, his shot just isn't that good. He needs to start gaining the zone and looking to make plays with his wingers. Maybe Torts will start working on him.

-Demitra - Shooter

-Samuelson - Shooter

-Grabner - Shooter

-Higgins - Two Way Forward

-Burrows - Two Way Forward

-Booth - Power Forward/Two Way Forward

-Roy - Natural Center Playing out of position - Playmaker

-Hodgson - Natural Center playing out of position. - Playmaker

Archived