The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are we now the highest suspended team in the league?

Lui's Knob

Weise 3 for preseason

Kassian 5 for stick

Edler 3 for an 'illegal' hit

Does any other team come even close for hitting in a game? (Clarkson doesn't count cause he came off the bench which is an automatic 10 game)...

At some point, Gillis needs to review the bias towards the Canucks. No way if it was a canuck player would any suspension been given; not even the refs gave it a call?

I think the best solution will be if our playoff seed is decided with road games remaining. Simply forfeit the road game and call a press conference explaining that all other methods of attempting to force the NHL to make fair and objective rulings have failed miserably.

Hit em in the wallet and they'll start to listen.

I just wish the nhl would make it clear what sort of message they are trying to send. I have watched endless WWF reffing in hockey now for many decades, and it makes the game a joke. Either call it, or don't call it for everyone. Instead of simply orchestrating a performance how a ref wants it. Or a money grabbing league wants it. bah rant off.

Can MG please give Torts permission to rip apart the NHL and point out the hypocrisy? I hate to be "one of those guys" but there is clearly something really corrupt about the way things are run in this league. I'm not saying the Canucks are the only team being targeted but there seems to be a group of NHL teams (pretty much Canadian teams) that are being held back because of this. The NHL knows that Canadians will continue to watch hockey and support their team no matter what so they favour American teams who will only generate a fanbase if the team does good.

Sounds good in theory.

Except then you're punishing players because they hit a player that may be injury prone, or had previous injuries that affect how long they're out. Whereas the same hit could produce no injury because another player is just tougher.

They just need to be consistent. If they wanna make it about intent, make it about intent. If they wanna make it about result, make it about result. They can't keep going back and forth though.

I think if there's no injury on the play, but there was intent, give the player a fine or maybe a small suspension if it is an obvious intent to injure. (like 1 to 2 games depending on the situation). If there's an injury caused by carelessness or intent then it should be a larger suspension.

It's not always easy to 'prove' intent. I think the solution lies in making the rules a little more black and white. Either ban hits to the head entirely or allow them. Apply the same line of thought used for stick infractions. 'Principal point of contact' and 'targeting' and other such jargon just seems to obfuscate the problem.Hit to the head causing no injury = 5 min. major with game misconduct and automatic 2 game suspension, regular season OR playoffs.Hit to the head causing injury = The same plus possible review/suspension by the league.Done.

No it's definitely not easy.

It all comes down to where the puck is and whether or not the player was going for it.

And whether or not a player changes their angle or their shoulder or elbow height before a hit.

Based on those two things, you would have to say there was no intent for Edler to injure. And since there was also no actual injury, there should have been no suspension.

Archived