The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hertl exits game with injury, head down again

SAN JOSE - San Jose Sharks rookie forward Tomas Hertl scored his NHL-leading seventh goal of the season 55 seconds into the game Saturday night against Ottawa, but he was injured with just over two minutes left in the second period in a collision with Clarke MacArthur and immediately left the ice.

Hertl was bent over with his head down, battling for a puck, when he and MacArthur collided. He was still being evaluated by the medical staff when the third period began and his return was called questionable.

Hertil was hit in the head by Alex Edler during San Jose's 4-1 victory against the Vancouver Canucks on Thursday. The NHL suspended Edler for three games for the hit.

http://www.nhl.com/i...id=nhl:topheads

Honestly don't know why they even looked at the Edler hit. Head down bent over again.

This is exactly what I've been saying I was worried about. Shanahan is NOT doing players any favors telling them they have no responsibility to keep their head up and protect themselves. Edler should have never been suspended simply because Hertl ran into him with his head down despite knowing contact was imminent, but when he was Shanahan told Hertl he didn't do anything wrong and it's ok to skate into other players with your head down because it's entirely on them to move out of your way. If this promising young player is hurt I blame Shanahan for failing to do his job properly. And I worry this is only the first of many injuries resulting from Shanahan's bad decisions/messages.

didn't hertl listen to don cherry and keep the head up lol. comm on folks we can all agree that the nhl is messed up some.. we allow fighting but yet we are so focused on head shots.... yes you get penalties for fighting but you still allow it to happen... just doesn't make sense what so ever..

didn't hertl listen to don cherry and keep the head up lol. comm on folks we can all agree that the nhl is messed up some.. we allow fighting but yet we are so focused on head shots.... yes you get penalties for fighting but you still allow it to happen... just doesn't make sense what so ever..

Archived