The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Truth About This Team: the Good, Bad, 50/50, & Unkown

TheRussianRocket.

It's only a few games into the season, and this is certainly not a panic thread; moreso, it's a thread for fans to look back on and see the truth behind the situation of this team so it can lead to a better understanding in general. Here it is, from a total neutral point / no bias involved and the straight, forward analysis.

caution: pretty long read but well worth it

THE GOOD:

- Sedins

As usual, are the bread and butter of this team. Always find a way to get it done and are really the only consistent offense this team has. Make anyone they play with elevate their game and improve statistically without a doubt.

I posted it before but this is our lineup.

1 - 1 - 3

3 - 2 - 3

3 - 3 - 3

4 - 4 - 4

It's a miracle we're doing as well as we are. The winning mentality is nice to have but it's obviously crushing our boys as well because they're so used to handling most teams with ease. Now we struggle to beat the Calgary's and Montreal's. It's depressing for them and its translating on the ice. It's going to be a long season.

it's a long season every season 82 games takes a long time to get through and 6 games in people are already talking about rebuilds blowing the team up and trading key players away same crap different year on this board

oh ya the truth about this team 6 games in you can't judge any player in that amount of time

1 - 1 - 1

3 - 2 - 3

3 - 3 - 3

U - 4 - U

It's a miracle we're doing as well as we are. The winning mentality is nice to have but it's obviously crushing our boys as well because they're so used to handling most teams with ease. Now we struggle to beat the Calgary's and Montreal's. It's depressing for them and its translating on the ice. It's going to be a long season.

Non homer:

1-1-3

3-3-3

3-3-3

4-4-4

That's the team right now. There are no second liners on this team, and a rotating block of thirds for the Sedins. That could change this year, but right now, that's where it is.

What bothers me is when I was watching last night (and this has carried over a couple games) is that the Sedins were being the hit leaders from the forward group. I'm not sure what the stats say (hit stats are completely unreliable; a hit in one building is not in another) but visually, the forwards for the Canucks were doing a lot of skate-bys. If they want to be 'hard to play against', they have to hit everybody. Punish the other team for touching the puck. Make them make mental mistakes when trying to move the puck quickly.

Yes, we'll take penalties, but we will anyways. So at least make them worth it.

The reality is that this team lacks second liners...

Sedins are first liners. They give us the versatility that they can have anyone as their linemate. Burrow's works the best, year after year. If we need a meat head to defend them, it better appear on defense, because Burrows plays this part the best.

Our second line, when healthy, looks like Booth/Higgins-Kesler-Hansen. If this teamwas as good as we wished it was, this would be our third line. IF Booth and Kesler reach a past form, then this might pass as a second line.

Our third line is a fourth line. I'd be happy if we could place Richardson on the fourth line, but unfortunately we are a three line team at the moment.

Our fourth line is a line of career AHLers.

Garrison has been our best d-man, which I fully expected. After him, it's less than much of the same in some regards. Edler has improved slightly. Kasual Kev is much of the same. Hamhuis is having a very rough start. At least Tanev and Stanton are playing well.

Luongo is his usual self.

1 - 1 - 3

3 - 2 - 3

3 - 3 - 3

4 - 4 - 4

We need Prospal or Gagne(maybe even both)

Sedin-Sedin-Burr

Sontorelli-Kesler-Prospal

Booth-Schroeder-Kassian

Higgins-Richardson-Hansen

Oh and in b4, 'Hansen is not a 4th liner, lol". Its called depth, if we want to win a cup we need players like him on the 4th

I think MG was too quick to pass the offensive torch to Kesler and Booth. Once we started replacing our players that can pass the puck and snipe, it was too much for Kesler to handle. The loss of Ehrhoff, then Salo greatly affected the team's ability to move the puck. Samuellson and Hodgson provided players who can shoot the puck. Now we just have Kesler doing his predictable, "skate down the right wing and take a wrister to the net".

Archived