The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time to Start Benching Players

RyanKeslord17

I'm sure if not soon, Torts will do this in the near future. Players have to EARN their ice, just like how Mike Santorelli did. We can't have players making $5M and not do anything every night. We can't have a $4.5M winger just skate around fast and not produce. We can't have overpaid defenceman playing top line minutes. This is unacceptable. I don't care who replaces them, it's not like were winning with them playing anyway.

Kesler: I love the guy, and have defended him for years, but he needs a major ice time reduction. Maybe it will also help him, not playing the tough minutes anymore. He needs to be taken off from that 20-25 mins of ice per game and be played at around 10-15mins till he finds his game.

Booth: You can't even demote him further, so I suggest sitting him for a game or two and have him watch from the presser. He has the skill, we all saw it in Florida, he just needs the right players and the confidence. Similar to Kesler.

Higgins and Hansen: These guys are awesome. They bring it every shift, but listen, they can't play on a top 6 role. They just aren't that talented. It's like running a car like it has 6 cylinders when in reality it only has four. They are 3rd line players who should be playing 3rd line minutes. I know we have injuries, that's why they are being put there, but still, they play way too much even now.

Hamhuis: I know he's struggling and he usually does at this time, but this is the most lost I've ever seen him. He needs a wake up call. Stanton has been playing great, why not give him extra minutes until Hammer settles down?

I think what everyone needs to realize is that the don't have the roster to ice an elite lineup. We're just an average team now. There is no further improvement. We pushed the boundaries of this skill depleted team over the past two years and is catching up to us. I think Shinkaruk and Horvat will be ready to make the jump next year which is reassuring.

We're a pretty deep team with Burrows and Schroeder back. It's up to Kassian, Booth and Kesler to actually do something. It would be pretty cool if Higgins decided to score on one of his 5 scoring chances (tap ins) per game too. And if Hamhuis stopped doing ... whatever it is he's doing.

I'm sure if not soon, Torts will do this in the near future. Players have to EARN their ice, just like how Mike Santorelli did. We can't have players making $5M and not do anything every night. We can't have a $4.5M winger just skate around fast and not produce. We can't have overpaid defenceman playing top line minutes. This is unacceptable. I don't care who replaces them, it's not like were winning with them playing anyway.

Kesler: I love the guy, and have defended him for years, but he needs a major ice time reduction. Maybe it will also help him, not playing the tough minutes anymore. He needs to be taken off from that 20-25 mins of ice per game and be played at around 10-15mins till he finds his game.

Booth: You can't even demote him further, so I suggest sitting him for a game or two and have him watch from the presser. He has the skill, we all saw it in Florida, he just needs the right players and the confidence. Similar to Kesler.

Higgins and Hansen: These guys are awesome. They bring it every shift, but listen, they can't play on a top 6 role. They just aren't that talented. It's like running a car like it has 6 cylinders when in reality it only has four. They are 3rd line players who should be playing 3rd line minutes. I know we have injuries, that's why they are being put there, but still, they play way too much even now.

Hamhuis: I know he's struggling and he usually does at this time, but this is the most lost I've ever seen him. He needs a wake up call. Stanton has been playing great, why not give him extra minutes until Hammer settles down?

it's a long season but points being squandered now could mean finishing somewhere between 6'th and 10'th place, it will be tight in the west to play in the post season...

i am a big critic of david booth (awfull along the boards omg ) and he has done nothing to change my mind, at 4.5 million he has to put up a minimum of 50 points and anything less leaves little room for those who continually remind us he is showing promise, you guys are so blinded by local media-lap dog reporting!

richardson looks like he is injured because his play looks so Junior A over the last three, yannick weber over corrado come on?, the rest of the league sees the economical value of great young talent being injected into the lineup and the canucks organization continue to fail in realizing this.

though it's early i feel confident with tortorella, a no-nonsense and demanding coach who worked under sather and did what torts thought was best for his club and did well, gillis had better start listening!!

flyers tues in philly here is my look at the flyers..

Problem is when you bench a player there is nobody of NHL calibre to replace him....unless you want Stan Smyl to suit up. This team is terribly thin up front.

The main problem is that there is no second line on this team. Kesler is a 3rd line shut down center, Booth and Higgins have to play their absolute best night in and night out to dream of 20 goals - decent third line guys that can probably score against the other team's bottom D pairings.

We had a second line C but he was given away for a long term project (kinda like trading in your porsche 911 in for a 69 camaro that will be on blocks for the next 3 years), we also had a second line right winger that was given away and who now plays on the Islanders and has 7 points and is +5

Gillis dug this hole for himself. I cringe at the thought of him making a hockey trade...he will probably give the Sedins away for Bozak and a third rounder...

You're looking at the negative and it is far to early to be getting overly excited. The Canucks should have blown Montreal out in the 1st. A lot of Canucks had outstanding games particularly Higgins and Garrison. The 1st line is doing just fine. A good road trip can cure a lot. Start worrying after 20 - 30 games. If you want something to smile about just concentrate on the Tanev - Stanton pairng. I have to revise my opinion on Tanev as he continues to surprise me. He is showing offensive upside. Stanton is as well but plays a really good game in the d-zone. Look at the amount of ice time vs the 3rd pairing last year. This team is not as bad as fans on here are fretting about.

Well said. Teams that are hot will slide. Teams that can't find the back of the net will eventually see a bit of puck luck.

This team played well...up until the gaff, that obviously rattled everyone in a wth way, we played well. Sure, some players have stumbled a bit, but give some time to work through the kinks. To pick up the system a new coach has brought in...they're still learning, and openly have said so.

As with anything, patience and an ample sample size...too early to decide, because some are slow starters out of the gate. I've said it before, but I need only remember 2011 and the Lions...after winning their first preseason game, they dropped 6 in a row. Now, remember, the CFL season isn't 80 odd games, it's 20, so this is nearly 1/3 of the season that had gone up in smoke. I was one of few fans who knew that one win could turn it around and get them back on track, and it did. We won the Grey Cup.

We've played a handful of games...start to worry when we're in the New Year and not putting it together consistently, not in October. Panic when we're going to miss the playoffs because adjustments weren't made and players haven't produced. Not now, in October when a new coach is still installing his version of how things'll be.

God, that instant gratification thing....

Instant gratification? I've been a fan of this team for 35 years. I'm not sure how much more delayed my gratification could be.

That's a lazy/generic answer. "This team"? So we have the same team now that we did in 1970?

"This team" has actually given us some of the best hockey we've ever seen, so don't refer back to days gone by that didn't include them.

"This team" is not responsible for anything that happened before them, and they've come quite close, giving us some hope. So yeah, instant gratification and selective memory.

That's a lazy/generic answer. "This team"? So we have the same team now that we did in 1970?

"This team" has actually given us some of the best hockey we've ever seen, so don't refer back to days gone by that didn't include them.

"This team" is not responsible for anything that happened before them, and they've come quite close, giving us some hope. So yeah, instant gratification and selective memory.

Archived