The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Remember This?

RyanKeslord17

Stumbled across this video on youtube, and it truly brought back great memories :) Schneider at his finest, Kesler popping one in, Hodgson looked great, and Hank scored a big goal. If you watch the highlights, the whole game the Canucks faced tons of adversity, lots of PP's for BOS, and the Marchand hit on Salo. They fought back, and hurt the Bruins in their own game by capitalizing on the man-advantage.

Remember when teams were scared of our power-play? It was almost an automatic when we got a PP opportunity. My question to you guys is what has changed so much that we can't be so dominant anymore? Sure we lost Salo, but replaced him with Garrison, who has been great. Is it the loss of Christian Ehrhoff? It seems like we still have all the main pieces..Sedins, Kesler, Edler, Burrows, Lu, Bieksa, so what has changed so much? Chicago lost lots of role players like we did, but still manage to play great hockey with the core intact.

Up until that game, the Canucks played inspired hockey, played with heart and passion. You could never question that all the players gave it 100% every single shift. Watching that game gave me goosebumps. And I can tell you seriously, I have yet to see the Canucks play with that much inspiration since that very day, which was January 7th in 2012. Are the Canucks still thinking about the cup final and unable to get up for any other games except those? They still play the Hawks hard every game. Will we finally get back the play we had when we face them this December? I really hope so, because we might see the Canucks play like they used to when the Bruins come to town.

I remember our team being outplayed everywhere on the ice, Salo being destroyed by that pesky little midget, and scraping out a win thanks to getting some calls and that biiiiig shot by Coho from far out.

-Malhotra is the guy we really miss for being able to get those key draws while being a capable shutdown guy.

-Ehrhoff a close second for being able to rush the puck up the ice, creating a far more dynamic attack from our D than what we see now.

-We still haven't replaced these guys effectively, or improved from within, so it's not wonder our team has declined since that 'great game.'

I don't know why people look back at that game as some great accomplishment. We got outplayed in that game pretty badly, and if it weren't for an amazing Coho slapper, we would have lost.

This team lost its swagger long before that game. I think it was around game 3 of the Boston series.

Lets try not to live in this past though. This team will never be the team it was again. We can only look forward.

Erhoff is the answer to what happened to our team. From day 1 in van, His ability to move the puck from our end to forwards on the rush was unmatched by anyone in the league except maybe Chris pronger.

Interestingly he needed the canucks as much as they needed him.

If you're ever in the mood or digging up some old highlights ... Watch the puck get moved from our end in the 10-11 season and compare to the off the glass, scraping puck off boards bull the forwards try to deal with now. It's night and day.

Erhoff is the answer to what happened to our team. From day 1 in van, His ability to move the puck from our end to forwards on the rush was unmatched by anyone in the league except maybe Chris pronger.

Interestingly he needed the canucks as much as they needed him.

If you're ever in the mood or digging up some old highlights ... Watch the puck get moved from our end in the 10-11 season and compare to the off the glass, scraping puck off boards bull the forwards try to deal with now. It's night and day.

Ballard WAS the guy who could have filled the role... I wish he was still here this season under torts.

In the same breath Id blame AV for that... I actually forgive him for Aaron Rome. Rome was a physical, defensive dman who put the puck on tape when it was there, and off the glass when it wasn't. #6 dmen don't get a whole lot better than Rome was in his hay day under AV. I never realized it until after the fact, though.

Ballard WAS the guy who could have filled the role... I wish he was still here this season under torts.

In the same breath Id blame AV for that... I actually forgive him for Aaron Rome. Rome was a physical, defensive dman who put the puck on tape when it was there, and off the glass when it wasn't. #6 dmen don't get a whole lot better than Rome was in his hay day under AV. I never realized it until after the fact, though.

Surely if fans can recognize this, the GM can? Can't he?

I hope he didn't think Yannick Weber would fill that role. And Garrison is a great two way D-man but he doesn't have nearly the skill that Ehrhoff had rushing the puck. Even Ballard would have been a more suitable replacement because of his skating.

I guess they thought Edler could reach the next level the last couple seasons. I'm not so sure he has the hockey IQ to be able to make plays off the rush at that same level though. Not to mention his drop pass is painfully predictable.

I def. Think our transitional game suffered a bit with the loss of erhoff.

Biggest execution loss was malhotra. Def zone face off wins will keep you in games you do not deserve to win.

Actual reason we are not the same team is the lack of hitting. Specifically the bigger hits ala edler on Kane/douwty

Sorry tapping on my tablet so I'm being lazy with the spelling grammar

Well we're older now and lost some key pieces from 2011. Biggest difference though is our attitude. The Canucks knew in 2011 that if they worked hard and did the right things they were almost unbeatable. Many outsiders mistook this attitude for cockiness, but that's what you need to be an elite team. This year's team thinks they are elite, in 2011 they knew they were the best.

I remember our team being outplayed everywhere on the ice, Salo being destroyed by that pesky little midget, and scraping out a win thanks to getting some calls and that biiiiig shot by Coho from far out.

-Malhotra is the guy we really miss for being able to get those key draws while being a capable shutdown guy.

-Ehrhoff a close second for being able to rush the puck up the ice, creating a far more dynamic attack from our D than what we see now.

-We still haven't replaced these guys effectively, or improved from within, so it's not wonder our team has declined since that 'great game.'

Archived