The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Pronger Will Never Play Again, the LTIR Cap Circumvention...

Warhippy

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=434164

Chris Pronger's playing days in the NHL are effectively over.

Philadelphia Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren confirmed that the former captain's NHL career on the ice is done in an interview with The Hockey News.

"I'll say it, Chris is never going to play again," Holmgren told The Hockey News. "I have no problems saying it."

Pronger has not played since November of 2011 due to complications surrounding an eye injury he suffered against the Toronto Maple Leafs in late October of that year.

The 39-year-old Pronger still has four seasons remaining on a seven-year, $34.55 million contract he signed with the Flyers in 2009. Because he was 35 at the time he signed the deal, the Flyers remain responsible for the entirety of the contract regardless of whether he plays or retires.

The Flyers have avoided Pronger's salary counting towards their salary cap obligations since he went down to injury through the use of the long-term injury replacement provision in the NHL's collective bargaining agreement.

However, should Pronger officially retire, the Flyers will be responsible for the full $4.9-plus million cap hit.

Pronger is a veteran of 1,167 career NHL games with the Flyers, Hartford Whalers, St. Louis Blues, Edmonton Oilers and Anaheim Ducks. He has scored 157 career goals and added 541 assists.

He has won numerous awards over the course of his professional career including the 2000 Hart and Norris trophies, the 2007 Stanley Cup with the Ducks as well as Olympic gold medals in 2002 and 2010 with Team Canada.

=====================

Now,

With this out and out admission that he will never suit up again or a "forced retirement" as it was Forced or mandatory I guess. Does this mean the league will now start attaching Pronger's cap to the flyers payroll? In all honesty with Holmgren's admission Pronger is effectively retired and y the leagues own rules his cap should be affecting their payroll.

AND!

If this is the case will the Bruins now be affected by Savard's cap hit as well? it seems to me that under the CBA this is right and proper as this is indeed the rule and they are both clearly circumventing it. Pronger is for all intents and purposes retired, as is Savard.

How and why now with this admission are they not getting hit with the cap? Remember when Gillis "retired" Malhotra? We still paid his cap hit did we not?

When will this change and be attached to the respective clubs payrolls and cap I wonder?

Discuss

I feel like we have had this discussion before.

They are getting hit with his cap hit, but they get to exceed the cap if needed for a replacement player under the LTIR rules. Just like the Canucks did with Manny and just like the Bruins are with Savard.

These guys had career ending injuries. The only way I could see it as cap circumvention would be if they were faking the injuries in order to retire without actually retiring. Or is that what you are implying here?

I think the NHL should use discretion because the LTIR can be abused.

In the case of Savard and Pronger, both are well known combatants whom would rather be shot than retire. Its reasonable to assume that they are not playing because an on ice injury permanently sidelined them.

If the case can be well documented and its obvious that the player had no intention of retiring and they could still otherwise play if not for this never ending injury, then the Flyers and Bruins should not have to carry any salary cap . The contract simply goes away.

No actually what I am implying is that it is known by and far that both Pronger and Savard will never play a game in the league again and are for all intents and purposes retired. yet by keeping their respective caps on LTIR both teams get that full relief.

Again with Malhotra we didn't know and he was done his contract at seasons end, but Pronger and Savard signed those retirement contracts which their teams are now getting out of, yet we will feel the full bite with Luongo as Chicago will with Hosaa unless Hansen waves at his helmet again and he suffers "A career ending injury"

The point I am trying to make is that there is no question they'll not play again, yet they're circumventing the cap. If Luongo goes down with a knee injury and never plays again, can you see the Canucks being able to keep him on LTIR for 9+ years without the league stepping in?

I am pretty sure the league and PA are dealing with it internally. But really, if there is no language in the CBA to prevent this type of activity, then to add anything will require many, many hoops to jump through.

From a personal standpoint, I think the teams should be allowed to do this. These guys suffered life changing injuries on the job. Regardless of their salary, they deserve every bit of compensation afforded to them by their employer. Many people who get hurt on the job and can't work again are often blamed for the injury and have to spend years trying to get fair or any compensation out of it.

I am pretty sure the league and PA are dealing with it internally. But really, if there is no language in the CBA to prevent this type of activity, then to add anything will require many, many hoops to jump through.

From a personal standpoint, I think the teams should be allowed to do this. These guys suffered life changing injuries on the job. Regardless of their salary, they deserve every bit of compensation afforded to them by their employer. Many people who get hurt on the job and can't work again are often blamed for the injury and have to spend years trying to get fair or any compensation out of it.

Archived