The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Annie Remake to Star African American Leads

Warhippy

First and foremost. PLEASE do not make this about racism. This has literally nothing to do with a person of colour not being allowed to do any one specific thing. This is a discussion about creative license and should remain as such. much like "remaking the Star Wars Trilogy" and adding things or deleting things at will because it enhances the movie.

This is simply a discussion nothing more nothing less keep it clean.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Will Gluck Directing 'Annie' Remake, Willow Smith No Longer Involved

Will Gluck is in negotiations to direct a new version of the Broadway musical "Annie," Sony Pictures said Wednesday.

The story of the plucky little orphan who moves from the bread lines to riches was originally envisioned as a vehicle for Will Smith's daughter Willow, but she will no longer be involved in the project. Producers noted that she was nine years old when the development began on the project, but is now 12 years old and has since "grown out" of the role. Sony said it will soon begin casting the role of Annie.

Gluck previously directed "Easy A" and "Friends with Benefits" for the studio. He will revise the film's screenplay, which was written by Emma Thompson and rewritten by Aline Brosh McKenna ("The Devil Wears Prada") and based on the stage play.

Instead of the Great Depression, which formed the backdrop of the Broadway play, the film will be set in the modern day. The studio is anticipating a late fall start and is eyeing a 2014 release date.

The film will be produced by James Lassiter, Jada Pinkett Smith and Will Smith through their Overbrook Entertainment banner, and by Shawn "JAY Z" Carter, Jay Brown, and Tyran "Ty Ty" Smith through Marcy Media.

Carter who previously refashioned "It's a Hard Knock Life" into an anthem of ghetto poverty, will re-imagine the Broadway score.

"Annie" was previously made into a 1982 movie starring Albert Finney as Daddy Warbucks, Carole Burnett as Miss Hannigan and, in her film debut, Aileen Quinn as Annie. Directed by John Huston ("The African Queen"), the film received mixed reviews and did not turn a profit during its theatrical run because of its big budget.

==============================================

Now. discuss this please. At what point in time does creative license end? Most recently Alex Cross of James Patterson novels was played by Tyler Perry, the next James Bond could indeed be played by someone of African Heritage (so long as he's british it doesn't matter) The Role of Captain Kirk of the newest Star Trek movies was almost given to actor Tyrese and now in this role the main characters of Annie will be cast as African American individuals.

So my question, is at what point does a director, or visionary stray to far from what is the written and original script?

would this stand if the cast of Roots was portrayed as Palestinians? If Shaft was played by say Mike Myers or Seth Rogan? How about if Dorothy of Wizard of Oz was played by a young Asian girl? Maybe the cast of Gone with the Wind would be better portrayed by Latin Americans?

Some will argue that none of that is possible because historical blah blah blah. Yes but this is fictional right? So it is open to interpretation as the argument seems to go. Why can Annie not be black?

Well in that case why can any of the aforementioned roles I mentioned not be played by others? If creative license is now open to this degree why can we not now open the roles entirely?

I am a purist. I firmly believe Annie is a red haired ginger kid with freckles and a pasty I don't see much sun complexion. but then I am old enough to have seen the 1982 version as well as the 1999 remake so I am partially biased

What are your thoughts on this? Is there a point in time when a written character should NOT be subject to such drastic change? And if indeed we can now see directors taking this kind of creative license (even if it is only a musical/comic) can we now do this across the board and indeed see a white Shaft or a jewish Kunta Kinte?

Open discussion before Mods find a way to lock this.

And go

I think the fact that they changed the setting from the Great Depression to Modern Day, allows them the creative license to change the colour of Annie's skin. Given that Annie was simply a poor orphan the role can work for a child of any race. I don't see this as a big deal. How many different versions of Romeo and Julliet are there currently?

For a post that's not about race, there sure are a lot of race based questions in there.

Anyways, I say free creative license and judge on a case by case basis. In this day and age if something is racist it'll sure as hell be called on it. Who cares what Annie looks like so long as they're faithful to the story and its themes.

I think the fact that they changed the setting from the Great Depression to Modern Day, allows them the creative license to change the colour of Annie's skin. Given that Annie was simply a poor orphan the role can work for a child of any race. I don't see this as a big deal. How many different versions of Romeo and Julliet are there currently?

Pretty much. Dorothy clearly had a definable visual in the original book, but they still made The Wiz. Is there anything about Annie being white that is so integral to the story it would prevent an actor of any other ethnicity from playing the character?

Archived