The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The most important decision this year.

J.I.A.H.N

I have been wrestling with this problem since the preseason, and even more with every game that passes. First off, trying to measure our team this early in the season is a little redundant and will be more lucky than anything, if at the end you are right. But in saying that, Mike Gillis better have a pretty good handle on where we will finish by mid January. It is then that he and the rest of Canuck management, should know whether to do a complete rebuild, or hold on one more season. As you all know, our core is getting older, but their value is in deadline trades to teams in real contention, not in teams wishing to rebuild. I am not saying sell off the whole team or any of them for that matter, but Gillis had better know and have a plan in place. Not to many "Hail Mary's" score touch downs, so the draft and free agency is the only way to build, not by selling picks for players to come in at the end of the season and save the day. Honestly, don't bet on underdogs, it is Usually the favorite that wins the race........."Usually!" So I would love to hear what you think.........I think Vegas puts their money somewhere in the top six, not too far past.

Well, I will put it this way. If you are not in the top six by mid January and your core are over 32 ish, then you should have a plan to trade at the deadline for draft picks, or a plan to sign free agents in the summer, but I am not sure Gillis had much of a plan last summer, for what would happen down the road. Business, runs on a moving 5 year plan, not the seat of their pants. Which type of plan did Gillis use last summer?

Archived