The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Missing Raymond Yet?

Skillscore

I've been a Raymond fan for years. Stood by him through his 'man that ice looks so comfortable, i just want to put my body all over it' phase, and thought last year WAS the bounce-back year we were looking for from him, considering his ice time and line mates.

Toronto picks him up after we let him go (come on people, T.O. got him for $1,000,000.....we signed Andrew Alberts for $800,000 FFS, stop using salary cap as an excuse) and he is an absolute rock star over there.

East coast hockey / West coast hockey doesn't justify the performance he has had so far this year - he is a good 2nd / 3rd line player that will produce points and win you games with depth.

Depth.

Tell me, how are our 3rd and 4th lines looking for point production these days?

Change of scenery does wonders. He was useless here, but has seemed to find his game with different teammates.

Look at Grabner. Lazy as hell, didn't want to be here, and he eventually found his legs in New York.

Mason Raymond wasn't good here. Good for him that he's useful in Toronto.

No, not really. In the western conference he'd be a non factor majority of the games.

East is way more soft which leads to more floating around and goals, thus why Raymond is finding success there. West is a lot more tough, structured hockey and it makes it far more difficult to score.

No. Has always been streaky. We would have had to offer more for him as well.

Sometimes a change of scenery is whats best for a player and lights a fire under their but. eg. Grabner.

All the best to him. Hope he keeps playing well. But this would not have happened in Van.

I've been a Raymond fan for years. Stood by him through his 'man that ice looks so comfortable, i just want to put my body all over it' phase, and thought last year WAS the bounce-back year we were looking for from him, considering his ice time and line mates.

Toronto picks him up after we let him go (come on people, T.O. got him for $1,000,000.....we signed Andrew Alberts for $800,000 FFS, stop using salary cap as an excuse) and he is an absolute rock star over there.

East coast hockey / West coast hockey doesn't justify the performance he has had so far this year - he is a good 2nd / 3rd line player that will produce points and win you games with depth.

Depth.

Tell me, how are our 3rd and 4th lines looking for point production these days?

He needed a fresh start somewhere else, I doubt he'd be putting up the same numbers here. Plus he's very streaky and he won't be keeping up this production all year long. What the Canucks should've done is given Horvat/Shinkaruk the chance to play at least a couple of games instead of picking up Dalpe to sit on the bench all day.

I'm very happy for Raymond's success. He's a good player and a great person, who unfortunately went through a series of bad luck and injuries and was pushed out by the numbers game. Would potentially take him over Higgins, but what's done is done, and I'd rather not fret about what-ifs.

I miss Raymond like he does the 5 hole, top shelf, and goal in general.

He is suited to eastern play not western play we needed to let him go.

Please, do stop complaining about him and that reference about the 3rd/4th lines....two guys brought in specifically for the 3rd and 4th lines are basically the current heart and drive on this team so...ya, if you miss Raymond I am sure the ACC will sell you one of his jerseys with a sweet leaf on it

You look at teams in the East like Philly, Boston, Chicago....these are franchises that have been built on a history of rock 'em sock 'em hockey. When i look at the Eastern Conf as it compares to the Western Conf....i see more 'finese' teams over here in the West.

Also, with the new schedule of every team playing every team.....East vs West play style differences dwindle as there is more collusion between everyone.

For me, the bottom line is that we spent the money that we COULD have spent on Raymond on players that will not benefit us even 1/2 as much as he could have.

nope.

this has always been his style - rack up the points against weak teams early in the year, fade out when it , matters most. Check his playoff stats

that been said Gillis is waisting cap space on weiss and sestet and having 8 nhl d men when we have some young guys on the farm that could use a look - Corrado, Andersson, Sauve.

Lets, wait until after the Olympic break to see how well he is doing and if Toronto can keep it up. Teams start playing alot harder post Allstar/Olympic break, than the real team start to show up. Toronto got lucky last year that it was a short season. Let them do it for a full season and see how Raymond is doing 2-3 months into the season, than we can have this discussion again. I suspect by Dec Vancouver will have this new system figured out, their conditioning will be where it needs to be to play this way for 60 minutes. Burrows will be back and Torts will have some set lines that he will like and fall back on. I have high hopes for this team, not president trophy hopes but high hopes and they will be playing the right way going into the playoffs.

You look at teams in the EAST like Philly, Boston, CHICAGO....these are franchises that have been built on a history of rock 'em sock 'em hockey. When i look at the Eastern Conf as it compares to the Western Conf....i see more 'finese' teams over here in the West.

Also, with the new schedule of every team playing every team.....East vs West play style differences dwindle as there is more collusion between everyone.

For me, the bottom line is that we spent the money that we COULD have spent on Raymond on players that will not benefit us even 1/2 as much as he could have.

Archived