The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ryan Kesler - wing? or centre?

Bananas

108 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

When you vote, remember what year it is. That is - not 2010/11...

I've seen this come up here and there, so I figured I'd make a poll to see what people think. You can take this as a general question, or an "only if one or more Sedins are on his line" type of question, I don't really care.

I suppose there are a couple things to consider, like if you would consider this team deep enough at centre to take him off of it vs. whether or not he's filling the position well anymore to begin with.

Our center depth is already hurting, no desire in making it worse. Better quality winger is a much easier solution. Nowhere does it officially state that all passes must come from the center.

Don't get the hard on of Kes winging Hank now after a brief stint vs Philly. Danny would provide just as much benefit to Kes, without losing strength down the middle. Henrik is the only C on this team who can carry wingers, lets let him.

When you vote, remember what year it is. That is - not 2010/11...

I've seen this come up here and there, so I figured I'd make a poll to see what people think. You can take this as a general question, or an "only if one or more Sedins are on his line" type of question, I don't really care.

I suppose there are a couple things to consider, like if you would consider this team deep enough at centre to take him off of it vs. whether or not he's filling the position well anymore to begin with.

You could put Toews or Kopitar on this team, straddle them with Higgins and Hansen, give em 2nd line duties and they would barely, if at all, out score Keslers highs of 75 & 73. The line as a whole will score more, as they generate more overall, but personally, Kes has been able to create offense. He isn't good enough to turn 3rd liners into stars, few are. Simply put another player that can carry themselves on that line and watch our problems disappear. It will also push down the depth creating better 3rd and 4th lines.

Since it may depend on the situation and personnel available, why stick with one? As has been said, Kesler is one of our best faceoff guys, but isn't necessarily the best playmaker. Does that mean we can't have a playmaker on his wing that works from the center of the ice in open play, and Kesler play along the boards?

I feel like Elvis.

Neither, he really needs to be a hybrid player to maximize his skill set.

Their was a beautiful post on how to best utilize Kesler but I can't seem to remember who wrote it. Long story short, Kesler needs to play center from his goal line to the center line to maximize his defensive prowess, and then switch (literally and figuratively) from playing center to playing wing from the center line into his offensive zone. The Canucks don't have the center depth ATM to really try such a system although I'd like to see it tried with Schroeder or Santorelli being the player that pivots with Kesler from the center line into the offensive zone.

If, IF Torts and Co. could figure out how to make such a system work I think it would do wonders for both Kesler and the Canucks.

I think we need Ryan Kesler playing with the Sedins. Even during the cup run season, Henrik was running at less than 50% on faceoffs. How are they going to get the puck without a swift skating dman back there and an okay faceoff percentage? We will get schooled by the better teams until we have enough scoring depth and center depth to move Kesler up to the first line. San Jose schools us every single time mainly because of this. The only guy who can seem to win draws against them is Kesler.

Sedin-Sedin-Kesler

Higgins-Schroeder-Hansen

Booth-Santorelli-Kassian

Sestito-Richardson-Weise

The big problem with this though is that our middle 6 centers in this scenario are missing size. Both are under 6' and that's scary. Santorelli is good on the dot, but we definitely need another middle 6 center and maybe a winger can be dealt for this. Once Burr is back, Sestito can be bounced and maybe we can make this team chippy enough to win a round!

Archived