The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Information on Labor Laws

No_More_Larchide

I know it's not the best forum, and calling Labor Relations would be a great start, but I know a lot of you guys are in the know on this sort of thing so ill ask here first because, quite frankly, its easiest.

A company I work(ed) for on the side (15-25) hours per week on my days off from my full time job have come under hard times. Due to this, they bounced a pay cheque to me, and are not paying me the money owed. At the time (August) they assured me the bounced cheque was an anomaly and that I would be paid going forward, so I kept working there. Including the bounced cheque and the 2 subsequent cheques they havent even made an attempt to pay me, they owe me somewhere in the 50-60 hour range.

The owner and company controller are not returning my phone calls, texts or emails. And on the off chance they do all they say are "no monies of yet". I tried going to the shop, but they packed up and moved towns literally overnight... I filed a complaint with the labor board 3 weeks ago and have not heard back.

Is there anything else I should be doing? I keep diligent track of hour worked so that shouldnt be a problem, but if a company goes under, where on the scale of importance is money owed to employees? I am assuming the government takes any outstanding monies owed to them first, then outstanding debts to suppliers if/when the assets are sold off...

Is there anything else I should be doing? I keep diligent track of hour worked so that shouldnt be a problem, but if a company goes under, where on the scale of importance is money owed to employees? I am assuming the government takes any outstanding monies owed to them first, then outstanding debts to suppliers if/when the assets are sold off...

Archived