The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nucks place in NHL.com's Sweet 16

Grapes-N-Canucks

The Nucks sit 12th in NHL.com's latest Western Conference Sweet 16. The article, http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=687255&navid=nhl:topheads, to paraphrase it, states that,

"The Western Conference has had its way with its brethren from the Eastern Conference in recent seasons, but the move of the Detroit Red Wings...and...Columbus Blue Jackets...in realignment was expected to shift some of the balance of regular-season power. It hasn't materialized to this point. (Granted, it has only been 8 games or so)...Teams from the Western Conference were 31-11-4 in games against Eastern Conference foes through the end of games Wednesday...In the new divisional playoff format, a fifth-place team from one division can usurp a Stanley Cup Playoff berth from the fourth-place finisher in the other. If there could be crossover between the conferences, 10 teams from the West would be in the playoffs if they had started Thursday." The Nucks, so far, are 3-1 against the East heading into the game against the Pens on Saturday. Right now, in the official standings, the Nucks are golden. But, from what I've read across the message boards; in the hearts and minds of SOME fans, the boys look like a team on the outside looking in. Call me a homer and all that, but hey, it's early...so screw the polls!!! Go Nucks!!! Late-

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't beleive we have yet to beat a team that made the playoffs last year. All the teams we beat are pretty horrible teams. The good teams we have played so far, Sharks and Habs, beat us. Before we celebrate Torts as the coach of the year, lets at least see how the Canucks do against the Pens.

It's the best start since the 05/06 campaign! Torts is out coaching A.V. Already. The team has a much higher level of compete already, and Torts still thinks its not good enough. I Love what he brings to the dressing room and bench.

In all fairness to AV, the guys needed a change and had become stale...that's clearly evident. But AV was a good coach and I'm unsure as to why we always need to throw one under the bus in order to praise another? Happens all the time here - whether it be goaltenders or coaches or ???

AV was no slouch.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't beleive we have yet to beat a team that made the playoffs last year. All the teams we beat are pretty horrible teams. The good teams we have played so far, Sharks and Habs, beat us. Before we celebrate Torts as the coach of the year, lets at least see how the Canucks do against the Pens.

The Nucks sit 12th in NHL.com's latest Western Conference Sweet 16. The article, http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=687255&navid=nhl:topheads, to paraphrase it, states that,

"The Western Conference has had its way with its brethren from the Eastern Conference in recent seasons, but the move of the Detroit Red Wings...and...Columbus Blue Jackets...in realignment was expected to shift some of the balance of regular-season power. It hasn't materialized to this point. (Granted, it has only been 8 games or so)...Teams from the Western Conference were 31-11-4 in games against Eastern Conference foes through the end of games Wednesday...In the new divisional playoff format, a fifth-place team from one division can usurp a Stanley Cup Playoff berth from the fourth-place finisher in the other. If there could be crossover between the conferences, 10 teams from the West would be in the playoffs if they had started Thursday." The Nucks, so far, are 3-1 against the East heading into the game against the Pens on Saturday. Right now, in the official standings, the Nucks are golden. But, from what I've read across the message boards; in the hearts and minds of SOME fans, the boys look like a team on the outside looking in. Call me a homer and all that, but hey, it's early...so screw the polls!!! Go Nucks!!! Late-

In all fairness to AV, the guys needed a change and had become stale...that's clearly evident. But AV was a good coach and I'm unsure as to why we always need to throw one under the bus in order to praise another? Happens all the time here - whether it be goaltenders or coaches or ???

AV was no slouch.

Agree with you entirely. He was obviously a severe liability from the first Chicago debacle on. The idiotic decisions fans and players were subjected to during his tenure very likely cost the Canucks a cup. I don't see why I should pretend i think he's an NHL quality coach when any idiot on CDC can make better personnel decisions than AV.

Archived