The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Flames/Sabres deal in the works?

@GareJoyceNHL

Brian Burke in Darcy's suite in Buf: Gentleman, start your Miller to Calgary rumours #Flames #Sabres

Doubt that one happens makes no sense for a rebuilding Calgary. Would not be surprised if Calgary tried to take on the enigma that is Tyler Myers. Personal hunch more than anything but thats the way I would see it.

Burke trades for Hodgson just so Gillis would have to see Hodgson more often.

Doubt Buffalo trades Hodgson.

Despite all the hate on CDC; he's their best young player. Most productive if u want to be fussy, although Ristolainen looks good to me. Girgenson and Grigorenko just are not ready to take Hodgsons spot as all speculate here.

edit: and with Monahan, if they want a pivot, it's prob not a guy like Hodgson...

Burke vs Regier is a mismatch.

The Flames should make this a fair fight and send in Feaster.

:lol:

Baertschi to Buffalo?

Much as that seems topical / logical, it's not. Cammalleri's contract is up at year end and Baertschi is no doubt still slotted as Calgary's future at LW?

They have almost no depth at LW so a move here, no matter how much Burke bullies / motivates his player, probably has no traction.

I could see Calgary trying to steal an underperforming player who does have talent. Colburne and a second for Lieno?

Buffalo becomes a clear favorite for the wooden spoon and a number one lottery ball but also gifts themselves boatloads of cap space. Calgary still has compliance buy outs if it dont work out, do they not?

I could also see Calgary salivating over center, but notably defensive prospects and perhaps Myers. I personally would not give up on Myers yet, but if they're tanking? Somehow cap for a pivot or D prospect???

Lieno makes still the most sense to me! Calgary also needs a RW; Stafford for a 2knd also allows the Sabres to bail on a guy who has not worked out for them. What value there is beyond me, but its mostly a cap dump.

Much as that seems topical / logical, it's not. Cammalleri's contract is up at year end and Baertschi is no doubt still slotted as Calgary's future at LW?

They have almost no depth at LW so a move here, no matter how much Burke bullies / motivates his player, probably has no traction.

I could see Calgary trying to steal an underperforming player who does have talent. Colburne and a second for Lieno?

Buffalo becomes a clear favorite for the wooden spoon and a number lottery ball but gifts themselves boatloads of cap space. Calgary still has compliance buy outs if it dont work out, do they not?

I could also see Calgary salivating over center, but notably defensive prospects and perhaps Myers. I personally would not give up on Myers yet, but if they're tanking? Somehow cap for a pivot or D prospect???

Lieno makes still the most sense to me!

A Myers deal would make sense if they're going to rebuild.

Trade Myers, draft Ekblad?

Doubt Buffalo trades Hodgson.

Despite all the hate on CDC; he's their best young player. Most productive if u want to be fussy, although Ristolainen looks good to me. Girgenson and Grigorenko just are not ready to take Hodgsons spot as all speculate here.

:lol:

I, like you, don't see why Buffalo would bother to deal Hodgson. I would deal him for the right offer, but I think clearly they should be intending to move Vanek, Miller, Ott, Ehrhoff or Tallinder before him- what is the point in letting go of any of their futures? If I'm dealing those players however, I might not stop at Hodgson if I can get a young player of comparable value who fits well in return.

I don't see why Calgary and Buffalo would make trading partners...

Edmonton made more sense.

If I'm Edmonton however, I don't see any of those players being terribly compelling.

I personally would want younger assets from Buffalo - one of the young sleepers on Buffalo who I think would probaby be undervalued at present - Foligno or Myers. I wouldn't judge Myers too harshly in the context he is playing - and if I'm Buffalo none of the younger prospects would be in the discussion. If I'm Myers I probably try to play my way out of Buffalo as well - playing defense behind that group of forwards is a nightmare.

The Oil on the other hand seem convinced that they should be winning - so it would stand to reason that they may be prepared to move one of their one dimensional, high pedigreed forwards. If I am on the other end of the deal, the first guy I want is Eberle - if I'm Edmonton, he's the last player I move of that forward group. Why deal Yakupov when he appears to be struggling and in a borderline doghouse? I'd hold onto him in the short run, but perhaps deal him as well at a more opportune time. I personally would probably deal Taylor Hall despite the fact he's the only one of them that doesn't fall in the small forward category - I think he's the most over-rated (which is not the same as saying they are better than him) of their flashy one dimensional young players, and he probably brings the best return as well. I'm not confident he will remain healthy, I'm not confident he'll improve as much as his peers, I think he more than any other Oiler has been fed situational opportunities (he might appear to be their franchise player, but wouldn't be mine) - he'd probably be the player I'd use to change the makeup of that lineup.

Calgary...should not be taking anything out of Buffalo that is over 23 years of age.

Flames and Sabres - a battle of GMs who love to spend but have to rebuild - how interesting those negotiations would be... Don't see why these two teams would bother - they should be looking to something similar, ie moving veteran assets that won't be around by the time they are actually decent teams, imo making them less than ideal trade partners.

Archived