The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Roman Hamrlik announces retirement

The first of a streak of disappointing 1st overall picks.

'92: Hamrlik

'93: Daigle

'94: Jovanovski

'95: Berard

'96: Phillips

Of course some of these players were good in their prime (well, all of them except Daigle), but kind of odd how there was 5 1st overalls in a row that were never really dominant players.

The first of a streak of disappointing 1st overall picks.

'92: Hamrlik

'93: Daigle

'94: Jovanovski

'95: Berard

'96: Phillips

Of course some of these players were good in their prime (well, all of them except Daigle), but kind of odd how there was 5 1st overalls in a row that were never really dominant players.

Expect for Daigle, all those players were defencemen. It goes to show that taking a Dman first overall is rarely a good idea. You often get a good player but rarely an ellite one. Pronger was the last dominant Dmen taken first overall.

Expect for Daigle, all those players were defencemen. It goes to show that taking a Dman first overall is rarely a good idea. You often get a good player but rarely an ellite one. Pronger was the last dominant Dmen taken first overall.

Pronger was taken 2nd after Daigle in '93.

Which is also hilarious because Daigle was quoted as saying "I'm glad I got drafted first, because no one remembers number two".

The last superstar defenceman drafted 1st Overall was Denis Potvin in 1973.

Greg Joly, Rob Ramage, and Gord Kluzak all went 1st between him and Hamrlik. Ramage was really the only one who was even a good NHL player of those 3.

Pronger was taken 2nd after Daigle in '93.

Which is also hilarious because Daigle was quoted as saying "I'm glad I got drafted first, because no one remembers number two".

The last superstar defenceman drafted 1st Overall was Denis Potvin in 1973.

Greg Joly, Rob Ramage, and Gord Kluzak all went 1st between him and Hamrlik. Ramage was really the only one who was even a good NHL player of those 3.

Thank you, I should have said Pronger was the last defencemen who should have been taken 1st overall. For some many years we keep hearing about Dman that could go first overall (Doughty, Hedman, Larrson, Jones) but don't and the player taken before them always ends up better.

Archived