The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Can someone please tell me what the deal was with RJ Umberger and why he didn't play for Van?

Noseforthenet

Okay, so RJ Umberger was drafted by our beloved Nucks and for some reason he was traded away. I have heard some things about him and Kesler being at odds, but Umberger was drafted 3 years prior. He always seems to be money in the bank for every team he plays for, whether they make the playoffs or not. I don't get it. Please someone, enlighten me!!!

Umberger never came to terms with the Canucks and his rights were traded to the New York Rangers on March 9, 2004. He also didn't sign with the Rangers and eventually was acquired by the Flyers in a free-agent deal later that summer.

Got that from a previous thread on this: http://forum.canucks.com/topic/221750-article-on-keslerumberger-feud-from-columbus-paper/

Umberger never came to terms with the Canucks and his rights were traded to the New York Rangers on March 9, 2004. He also didn't sign with the Rangers and eventually was acquired by the Flyers in a free-agent deal later that summer.

Got that from a previous thread on this: http://forum.canucks...columbus-paper/

And then the following happened:

well the above replys are valuable, RJ is an American and was uneducated ( afraid) of our tax implications as well as the 'Left Coast'

You know he went to Ohio State University for three years right? Think that blows that rumour out of the water.

I don't think taxes had anything to do with it. He simply wanted more money. Saying he's an American and uneducated, does that apply to Kesler too, as he spent one year with Ohio State?

Because Brian Burke was the arrogant, conceited, egotistic, pretentious and pompous GM of our team at the time and rumour has it that he was offering a low-ball first contract to Umberger at the time. Umberger didn't sign and sat out the whole following season before he was traded.

Because Brian Burke was the arrogant, conceited, egotistic, pretentious and pompous GM of our team at the time and rumour has it that he was offering a low-ball first contract to Umberger at the time. Umberger didn't sign and sat out the whole following season before he was traded.

I am guessing that was the case, but why lowball a top prospect?! In the end we got Martin Rucinsky for him. It seems all kinds of wrong that he didn't play for us.... What the hell did he want? Anybody know?

I am guessing that was the case, but why lowball a top prospect?! In the end we got Martin Rucinsky for him. It seems all kinds of wrong that he didn't play for us.... What the hell did he want? Anybody know?

He wanted the maximum salary on a rookie contract, which Burke wasn't offering him. If memory serves correctly, Burke made some pretty snide comments publicly regarding this at the time as well. Also rumoured that RJ wasn't overly thrilled about the idea of playing in Canada.

What's deal with he and Kes?

Columbus Blue Jackets centre R.J. Umberger is not on Ryan Kesler’s Christmas card list and when the two former Ohio State University teammates went head-to-head Monday night in the home of their alma mater there weren’t any pre- or post-game ‘how-you-doing’ handshakes.

“We’ll chat tonight, but it won’t be friendly,” Kesler said before the Vancouver Canucks met the Blue Jackets at Nationwide Arena. “Everybody knows we’re not a big fan of one another.”

Kesler and Umberger, who were both selected in the first round by the Canucks, have been on the outs ever since Umberger publicly used Kesler’s first contract with Vancouver as leverage in his own negotiations with the team.

“We got along as linemates at Ohio State, everything was fine until I signed and then I think there was a little jealously from his part,” Kesler said. “He and his agent (were) going on radio stations and talking down to me. I just didn’t think that was very classy.”

Umberger said it was just business and expressed surprise that Kesler continues to harbour a grudge.

“I know when we were linemates at Ohio State, I did nothing but try to help the kid as a rookie and I put myself out there for him,” Umberger said. “It’s a shame to have him say stuff about a former teammate. If he wants to keep playing that way I am going to play him hard and tough and we’re just going to keep battling it out.”

Umberger never did come to terms with former Canuck general manager Brian Burke and his rights were eventually dealt in March 2004 to the New York Rangers.

http://www.faceoff.com/story.html?id=79580672-76ce-43ed-850b-a673122bb6b8

Archived