The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Very GOOD but not ELITE!

icycold

Do the nux measure up to the ELITE teams in the nhl? My answer is a simple no! Are we very very good? Yes of course!

How do i come to this conclusion? well, against teams like the Bruins Ducks Sharks Kings etc. we have no answer. This primarily seems to me is because we lack a cpl of big game changers as in guys like Pronger/chara etc on D or guys like Lucic/Kopitar at forward. You can add to that list of course but grit size with skill is pretty much what i'm getting at. Add 2-3 players like that to our roster and look out!

The best thing we have that is a great to have is a supporting cast like the above teams have, having a few great players means nothing without it, and the proof is how they win the cup. Simple as that. Yes we have come close on occasion and we have done really well so as to sell out the building and give a good game to watch (on most nights)

I think MG is doing his best to ice a really good exciting team but the fact is the salary cap is killing us, the results of the lock-out and no one saw it coming and i'm sure MG figured he'd have some more money to play with to fill in the above needed gaps but also the demand for top calibre players went through the roof as well.

So now it seems we have to do the best with what we have, i believe AV couldn't really get that done for whatever reason and that was the big reason Torts was brought in.

So what is the answer? Well in a perfect world the salary cap would be 100 mill for every team and would be permanent or a maximum player salary cap to even the playing field but yes that's a entirely open debate by many. I guess in the meantime we all can hope for some bright spots to get brighter as in Kassian developing skill and consistancy, Torts continuing to build a real team accountability and better work ethic, and possibly MG being able to trade a couple of assets and prospects (just not shinkaruk or horvat) but that's me and my opinion since i see the future with these 2 in the line-up but whatever.

I, for one don't expect the cup here unless some changes are made but believe me that i still love this team but getting deeper into the play-offs should be expected this year. the additions of Santorelli and Richardson helped and we actually have some depth better than most years. Good to see as well!

Thoughts?

Honestly, on paper we have the potential to go toe-to-toe with the best in the NHL.

That's on paper though on hypotheticals, realistically we're a small cut below the elite in the NHL, we're 1 legitimate top 6 playmaker to go with Kes and/or power forward with Sedins to make our team elite IMO

Lol no we should not trade any prospects not just shinkaruk or horvat. We are no longer contendrs simply put. Time to rebuild. Best case scenario we geta top prospect through trade and another 1st round pick this year. Hopefully due to his attitude we could get another steal with josh ho-sang. Shinkaruk horvat ho-sang.

Well in my opinion Bo and Hunter are our best future prospects we have right now, sure it's arguable but Bo has size and skill we need and Hunter, well that kid was a absolute steal as we all know. The kid is a pure goal scorer and let's hope he gets some weight and strength behind him and i don't see why not. Thing is something has to change. Do we need a complete re-build, my OPINION is no not quite necessary at this point. Tweaks? as in what i said above? Yes, we have a really good team but 2-3 additions to put us into thee ELITE category is needed!!!!!!!

Well in my opinion Bo and Hunter are our best future prospects we have right now, sure it's arguable but Bo has size and skill we need and Hunter, well that kid was a absolute steal as we all know. The kid is a pure goal scorer and let's hope he gets some weight and strength behind him and i don't see why not. Thing is something has to change. Do we need a complete re-build, my OPINION is no not quite necessary at this point. Tweaks? as in what i said above? Yes, we have a really good team but 2-3 additions to put us into thee ELITE category is needed!!!!!!!

We have been tweaking for years. Has not worked time to cut our loses before our players have no value. Plus didn't mean trade hunter and bo I meant keep all of our rookies.

We have been tweaking for years. Has not worked time to cut our loses before our players have no value. Plus didn't mean trade hunter and bo I meant keep all of our rookies.

Yes i agree we have tweaking BUT not the big ones we need, we got what was available for the most part. It's hard to get what you need when you don't have the pieces to trade for it without losing what you have that keeps what your building on there. Not to mention affordabiltity which is hard considering the cap. To get what we need we have to give something up though right?

The biggest thing is the cap, that is sooooo killing us right now. I have no doubt that big name players would be more than willing to come and play here but how can we afford to pay them?

I have to throw this in, yes i'll probably get flack for it but oh well. Defense! Our guys are not playing their pay grade, for 4.5 mill each for Edler, KB, Garr, and Hammer it should be a lot better. Ok i played D in minor hockey for yrs and it's a very hard position to play.

Especially against guys like crosby malkin ovi etc etc it would be especially hard but for 4.5 to 5 mill? wow! We should have one of the best defense corps in the league but for some reason it's simply not consistant. why? i have no idea! frustrating to say the least though for that amount of cash...

Is this a newsflash?

FYI there's nothing wrong with reaching the pinnacle (we were arguably the best/one of the best teams in the league for a couple years there) and then having to settle back in to the pack again. Detroit's done it and won cups after the fact. San Jose (the current favourite?) was a couple years ago considered a "has been" just like we are now.

We are almost assuredly a playoff team. Once you get there, anything can happen. If we have some better injury and puck luck than a "better" or more "elite" team, we have every chance of beating them.

We have quality youth coming to supplement our very talented vets and a rising cap. It`s far from doom and gloom,

Besides, it`s not always the favourite or even the "best" who wins the cup. It's the team who plays the best at the right time and gets some luck that wins.

How do i come to this conclusion? well, against teams like the Bruins Ducks Sharks Kings etc. we have no answer. This primarily seems to me is because we lack a cpl of big game changers as in guys like Pronger/chara etc on D or guys like Lucic/Kopitar at forward. You can add to that list of course but grit size with skill is pretty much what i'm getting at. Add 2-3 players like that to our roster and look out!

Oh so we just need to go out and grab a two or three 6-7 million dollar players and add them to our roster to be a contender. WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR MG?!!? Wow MG out GM'd again.

Vancouver has dealt from a position of weakness in roster depth from the beginning. It has always been about making the playoffs and if that meant fast tracking the young talent or even trading draft choices or prospects so be it. Originally IMO it was excitement about finally making Vancouver and NHL city and that morphed into a fan appetite for CUP contention. Shaky ownership and questionable management.

Today's Canucks have come a long way. Is this current roster a serious CUP contender? I don't consider it to be but that doesn't mean that in the right circumstances it cannot make a serious run. The critical question will be whether Gillis makes a desperate move to shore up this roster to make another serious CUP run. I hope not. I lean the other way of making sure that older players are dealt for pics and prospects that can rebuild this team. Maybe not this year but next.

Oh so we just need to go out and grab a two or three 6-7 million dollar players and add them to our roster to be a contender. WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR MG?!!? Wow MG out GM'd again.

nice assumption there hey? I think you should check out some of my previous posts and you would see that i posted exactly what you just said but also added it was not that easy.

We won't be making any playoff moves. Teams are just too good in our conference right now. some of our key players like Kesler and Booth are trying to bounce back from injuries and bad seasons, we won't go far in the playoffs if we can't get them going. Any playoff moves will hurt us in the future and I don't want to be one of those bottom teams in the future and I would rather follow how Detroit's rebuilding.

We have some solid prospects, we just have to be patient.

Vancouver has dealt from a position of weakness in roster depth from the beginning. It has always been about making the playoffs and if that meant fast tracking the young talent or even trading draft choices or prospects so be it. Originally IMO it was excitement about finally making Vancouver and NHL city and that morphed into a fan appetite for CUP contention. Shaky ownership and questionable management.

Today's Canucks have come a long way. Is this current roster a serious CUP contender? I don't consider it to be but that doesn't mean that in the right circumstances it cannot make a serious run. The critical question will be whether Gillis makes a desperate move to shore up this roster to make another serious CUP run. I hope not. I lean the other way of making sure that older players are dealt for pics and prospects that can rebuild this team. Maybe not this year but next.

Response to the first paragraph : Wow! totally on the mark... i think as much as the griffith's liked hockey they had a hard time running the organization on a shoe string if one could call it that. I think if the Acq's had owned it back then it would have fast tracked it but again the salary cap has been a thorn in the side since vancouver has become a place where players have realized is a great place to live but now it's the reverse so it seems. Lots of money to be spent but the Acq's simply can't

Response to the 2nd paragraph: Your right, the current roster is a lot better than in previous years and on top of that we actually have a lot more depth as well. One step further even is that we are actually starting to have a developing draft pool, ok so it needs work and expansion as far as it needs more horses in the stable but it's getting there slowly.

I'm pretty happy with the overall picture of growth the orgaziation itself as a whole has made compared to the old era and i'm sure glad i don't live in florida stuck with the panthers to cheer for or something of that scenario. Seems to me MG never has been in the market of desperation but has TRIED to do the best he could under pressure from a vancouver fan base screaming a cup or your head which i suppose has it's reasons but even if we threw away everything to get one cup then what would we be left with?

If one ran a business like that, then what?

Anywayyyyyyyy, i wonder what this organization will look like in 5 yrs? I think if the organization itself keeps growing in the way it does things then i'm sure we can't help but get better over the long run.

Elite teams are Chicago, Boston, Pittsburgh, and Detroit. St.Louis could be an elite team soon and LA could maybe be considered elite.

The Canucks in my opinion are in the next group with teams like San Jose (even though we can't beat them), Anaheim, Montreal, Ottawa, and a few other teams.

nice assumption there hey? I think you should check out some of my previous posts and you would see that i posted exactly what you just said but also added it was not that easy.

Not that easy is a massive understatement. It's impossible, unless the cap goes waaaay up. Even if the cap goes a lot higher players are still going to be demanding a similar percentage of total cap.

Edit: What exactly did I assume?

Wtf.

2 x Art Ross

1 x Hart

1x Selke

in our top 6.

Not elite?

Does not compute.

I think the simple truth is, we need another season, I don't think we'll be bringing in the cup this year for the simple fact that the rookies aren't ready yet, when we can add in Gaunce, Horvat, Shinkaruk on a regular basis we'll have the depth - and be able to take advantage of the salary cap the way other elite teams have.

I think the simple truth is, we need another season, I don't think we'll be bringing in the cup this year for the simple fact that the rookies aren't ready yet, when we can add in Gaunce, Horvat, Shinkaruk on a regular basis we'll have the depth - and be able to take advantage of the salary cap the way other elite teams have.

Not that easy is a massive understatement. It's impossible, unless the cap goes waaaay up. Even if the cap goes a lot higher players are still going to be demanding a similar percentage of total cap.

Edit: What exactly did I assume?

When you said MG was out GM'd again, from what i got from that was you seemed to think i said it easy or something and obviously that wasn't correct as you said yourself and that was my point to begin with i.e. salary cap. That was my whole point that since it hasn't been done for whatever reason and so we're not elite. Although i know there are quite a few here in the CDC that think that it IS that easy and MG can go get whomever he wants on a whim and poof! we get the cup! uhhh.. not so much!

Anyway, i'm glad your one of the one's though who KNOWS it's not a snap your fingers and get who you want, it drives me crazy when MG gets bashed by fans and media alike for not doing the impossible.

Archived