The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Grabner suspended 2 games

elvis15

This is all about making a decision as a player where you're trying to avoid bad situations. Most of the suspensions we've seen, especially recently, have revolved around this. If a play is a good hockey play but something bad happens the NHL isn't as likely to lay down the banhammer.

Grabner (and McLeod suspended earlier) has to know that's going to be very tough to make a legal hit and is likely to result in a dangerous play. In Grabner's case, it's a hit to the head. In McLeod's, it's a hit from behind.

I say they take out all suspensions and eventually the players will realize that what goes around comes around and they will stop this crap.

I guess the problem is that one of them will be severely injured or worse killed before they realize the stupidity of their actions.

Well that makes Edler's suspension more reasonable.

Considering Edler has recent suspensions and McLeod doesn't but McLeod's hit was worse in severity, I agree.

I say they take out all suspensions and eventually the players will realize that what goes around comes around and they will stop this crap.

I guess the problem is that one of them will be severely injured or worse killed before they realize the stupidity of their actions.

So you're saying they won't take out suspensions then...

Nah they should just stop suspending players for clean hits. If there was an intent to injure then suspend the guy. Also take out the instigator rule and some of these guys who trying to injure other players will get their ass kicked.

I don't really get how this hit which certainly looks worse than what Edler did gets less games. Regardless of Edler having previously been suspended (what a joke that one was too - no onus on Smith) and the fact that Edler didn't even hit Hertl's head (as Hertl skated into Edler), Edler was going for the puck whereas Grabner was not. Now I'm not saying Grabner should have gotten more (I think 2 is a good number for this one), but Edler getting 3 is a joke.

The NHL Department of Player Safety is a joke

Nah they should just stop suspending players for clean hits. If there was an intent to injure then suspend the guy. Also take out the instigator rule and some of these guys who trying to injure other players will get their ass kicked.

I agree my point was made out of frustration. I have watched the NHL for more than forty years and every year It gets more frustrating. The focus becomes less on the game and more on Issues with the game.

These suspensions are doubly frustrating because they don't work. The players keep making boneheaded decisions and so does the league. I am more convinced than ever that if they knew they were going to get their ass kicked it would make more of an impact.

Huh. Not sure I understand your point. If there is one

Oh good. We agree.

That wouldn't take care of the hits a player shouldn't throw because of a player in a bad position that has nothing to do with intent to injure.

I don't really get how this hit which certainly looks worse than what Edler did gets less games. Regardless of Edler having previously been suspended (what a joke that one was too - no onus on Smith) and the fact that Edler didn't even hit Hertl's head (as Hertl skated into Edler), Edler was going for the puck whereas Grabner was not. Now I'm not saying Grabner should have gotten more (I think 2 is a good number for this one), but Edler getting 3 is a joke.

The NHL Department of Player Safety is a joke

One less game, with Grabner having no suspension history. At their very basics, they're the same hit though, with a hitter contacting the head after missing or not hitting squarely through the body. They aren't so different that you should be outraged by 2 games versus 3.

So hit a guy in a fashion that ended Marc Savard's career and ruined David Booth's career ... 2 games.

K ...

How many years ago was that? You can't use those in comparison to suspension now, at least in length of suspensions, since the NHL is getting harder and harder on the ones they do hand out.

speaking of Ballard.. he was a healthy scratch last game.. any idea what happened to him?@@

the last time i watch a minny game he played quite alright

You haven't watched them in a few games then:

Wild’s Ballard unable to finish practice, likely to miss fourth straight game

Ballard, the veteran defenseman that's missed the last three games after taking a puck to the face, didn't practice today - this after leaving Sunday's skate early because he wasn't feeling well.

Likely a concussion when he got hit with the puck and he's still not over it.

One less game, with Grabner having no suspension history. At their very basics, they're the same hit though, with a hitter contacting the head after missing or not hitting squarely through the body. They aren't so different that you should be outraged by 2 games versus 3.

They set a precedent and then ignore it. That's what bothers me. I don't care if grabner gets just 1 more game. He should have gotten more games than Edler because of how the hit happened, and as previously mentioned, this exact same type of hit is what ended Savard's career (has NOTHING to do with the length of suspension Cooke got). If they're not fine with what happened to Savard, then why not properly suspend hits that are basically exactly the same? What deterrent is there for someone to not think harder before make that hit?

Well, Grabner got two more games than Cooke, who wasn't suspended at all for his hit on Savard. I'd say they've upped the penalty as a result and I'm glad they ignored the precedent of Cooke. The only other way they can go is longer suspensions, which means Edler would have got more as well.

Well, Grabner got two more games than Cooke, who wasn't suspended at all for his hit on Savard. I'd say they've upped the penalty as a result and I'm glad they ignored the precedent of Cooke. The only other way they can go is longer suspensions, which means Edler would have got more as well.

Except that Edler was basically going for the puck whereas Cooke and Grabner were not. Both Cooke and Grabner made a checking motion, where Edler did not. It's not the same thing.

Archived