The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Puck Moving Defenceman

Van40

Other then bieksa there is no defencemen on this team even capable of a north south game. I think a top 4 pucking moving/scoring defensemen could be the missing link. (Should of kept erhoff smh)

An erhoff type defencemen could who could. Brian Campbell comes to mind but he's too expensive.

SO what do you guys think? Could a scoring, puck moving defense spark this team? Any suggestions? Keep the cap in mind.

Ideally I'd love Dan Boyle but that's never going to happen...

Other then bieksa there is no defencemen on this team even capable of a north south game. I think a top 4 pucking moving/scoring defensemen could be the missing link. (Should of kept erhoff smh)

An erhoff type defencemen could who could. Brian Campbell comes to mind but he's too expensive.

SO what do you guys think? Could a scoring, puck moving defense spark this team? Any suggestions? Keep the cap in mind.

Ideally I'd love Dan Boyle but that's never going to happen...

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with our defense. It's not a need or a must-have to be equipped with a puckmoving dman to win but it sure is good if you do. The way I see our team, the players/core have so much chemistry that most of the time, there's no need for a dman to rush the puck up. Quick passing from numerous years of plays and a good feel of who's around the players gets the job done for this team to move the puck up. It was awesome when Ehrhoff was here because he was a slick skater but ever since he left, the Canucks have replaced him well.

Bieksa and Edler are now those puckmoving D for us and despite them not being good as Hoff was, they don't need to. Defensive structure is good, we don't rely on speed much to win games, so it's not that big of a deal imo. Our Dmen play a great all around game and I'd rather have that than say Hoff who was great offensively but a pain in the rear-end on defense. A consistent player is something I'm sure most teams would rather have, yea...basically our D doesn't rely on speed and their good overall play makes up for it. Plus we got 2 bombs on the point and have a mixture of natural defensive dmen and guys who jump up so it's really good.

...Don't think we need a puckmoving dman to be honest, rather some depth by acquiring a veteran presence or two who can contribute if players go down. The real problem is goal scoring for the forwards, so I'd assume that'd be first priority, getting a legit top 6 scoring forward, and even then it depends if the organization feels this team can contend for the Cup cause if they feel they can't, they won't trade the future away for now and would rather just stay put and wait for youth to come up. That's the big questionmark....will the organization make another push or do they believe it's better to build from within? After we figure that out and the team makes it public, we will know and can assess what will likely happen moving forward towards trade deadline.

I've been saying this for a while now, the Canucks have no real puck moving defense man. No one on the back end with speed to move the puck out of the zone quickly, for the forwards to have more time and space. Twins haven't been the same without Ehrhoff.

The Twins aren't fast players, you need a fast skating defense man who can help them gain a step and bring them up +20-30 points every year like Ehrhoff did. You don't need Ehrhoff, but you need a true puck mover. Bieksa and Edler are okay, but cannot move the puck quickly up the ice.

The closest the Canucks have to a puck mover right now in the system is Jordan Subban.

Andrei Markov and Marek Zidlicky are UFAs at the end of the year. Maybe try getting Zidlicky at the deadline.

Weber looked good offensively, but he doesn't have the trust of our staff to be given any time. He is no top-4 by any stretch, but he'd spark a power play that still needs a decent right-handed shot.

In the meantime i might go with a Bieksa-Garrison pairing on the top unit. Although Bieksa has been tried on the top unit a lot in the past, to minimal degrees of success.

But that's a powerplay problem. Overall, what we really need is for Edler to improve some more, esp. in the speed department. But that may not be his game.

Our defense is fine though. Deepish and pretty strong throughout.

Defence is not the problem on this team at all. Especially from an offensive perspective. The have great offensive D. They could maybe use a big shut down, stay at home type (what team couldn't?) but the real problems are secondary scoring and forward depth. No team can win it all with their top forwards logging the minutes they do on the Canucks.

Defence is not the problem on this team at all. Especially from an offensive perspective. The have great offensive D. They could maybe use a big shut down, stay at home type (what team couldn't?) but the real problems are secondary scoring and forward depth. No team can win it all with their top forwards logging the minutes they do on the Canucks.

The reason the forwards are struggling is because there isn't anyone in the backend that can move the puck fast enough for them to have that extra minute to figure out what to do.

Sedins are ppg, but with a real puck mover, they can up well over 100+

and Kevin Bieksa is overrated. He sucks.

A shutdown defender isn't neccessary. Why do people want shutdown defense man anymore? This game is built around speed and skill. Big shut down defence men are becoming extinct.

The reason the forwards are struggling is because there isn't anyone in the backend that can move the puck fast enough for them to have that extra minute to figure out what to do.

Sedins are ppg, but with a real puck mover, they can up well over 100+

and Kevin Bieksa is overrated. He sucks.

A shutdown defender isn't neccessary. Why do people want shutdown defense man anymore? This game is built around speed and skill. Big shut down defence men are becoming extinct.

It's no coincidence that the sedins had their beat season with erhoff here. They can be 100 point players again if they had someone like that again.

How many years does Campbell have on that contract anyways? We could really use a player like him.

He's still developing but I see Tanev as becoming a great puck moving D man. He has shown very good flashes of it with his speed. He probably won't ever develop the offense that guys like Erhoff have, but as far as having a mobile D man he will do well.

he needs to figure out how to avoid a hit. He gets hit and hit hard every time he touches the puck.

The Difference between the Sedins being point per game guys and 100 point, (Art Ross) Winning players, was because we had a deadly offensive DMAN who can skate it it out, run the power play, and had a blast from the point. Losing Christian Ehrhoff was the biggest mistake for Mike Gillis. Our offence and powerplay was never the same ever since the lost of Ehrhoff. It is evident if you look at our offence dropped big time and our powerplay struggled, ever since he left. Mike Gillis believes, we have the players to make up the loss of Ehrhoff. Although, Edler, Hamhius and Bieksa are very good dmans, they are nowhere close to Ehrhoffs offensive game. It's sad but true.

I think Ehrhoff is the most overated guy in this discussion. How has he done since he left here? The first year he had 32 pts, the next year (shortened) 22 pts. He has 2 assists in 10 games this year. His team is in the running for last place overall in the entire NHL. I think the Sedins helped him a lot more than he helped them.

Archived