The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Duffy VS Stephen Harper Round 2

Warhippy

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...words-1.2159561

Senator Mike Duffy launched a strident defence on Tuesday in the Senate against a motion that would see him suspended, along with Senators Pamela Wallin and Patrick Brazeau from the chamber, and their pay and benefits cut.

Here are some excerpts from his speech:

"Like you, I took an solemn oath to put the interests of Canadians ahead of all else. However, the sad truth is I allowed myself to be intimidated into doing what I knew in my heart was wrong, out of a fear of losing my job and out a misguided sense of loyalty."

Describing a meeting with Prime Minister Stephen Harper and his then-chief of staff Nigel Wright, Duffy described Harper as saying: "'It's not about what you did. It's about the perception of what you did that's been created in the media. The rules are inexplicable to our base' … I was ordered by the prime minister [to] pay the money back, end of discussion."

senate-duffy-20131022.jpg

Senator Mike Duffy arrives at the Senate on Parliament Hill on Tuesday. He later took shots at Prime Minister Stephen Harper when he spoke against a motion to suspend him, along with Patrick Brazeau and Pamela Wallin, from the Senate. (Sean Kilpatrick/Canadian Press)

"'Don't worry,' Nigel said. 'I'll write the cheque.'"

"There was an undertaking made by the PMO with the agreement of the Senate leadership that I would not…be audited by Deloitte, that I would be given a pass, and further, that if this phoney scheme ever became public, Senator Lebreton, the government leader of the day, would whip the Conservative caucus to prevent my expulsion from the chamber."

"Let me repeat, Deloitte investigated, their audit of my expenses related to my home in P.E.I., did not find wrongdoing, and they said I had not broken the Senate's rules."

"This motion is something one might expect to see in Iraq or Iran, or in Vladimir Putin's Russia, but not in democratic Canada. It is not, I repeat, fundamental justice."

"Today, you have an opportunity to stand strong and use your power to restrain the unaccountable power of the PMO. That's what this Senate's about, sober second thought, not taking dictation from kids in short pants down the hall."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...money-1.2158507

Senator Mike Duffy finally had his say Tuesday, dropping a political bombshell before the entire Senate, by saying Prime Minister Stephen Harper told him to repay his inappropriately claimed expense money.

Before a stunned audience of senators and reporters in the Senate gallery, Duffy said Harper told him, in the presence of his then chief of staff Nigel Wright, it was the perception of the "base" that was important, not what Duffy said about his own innocence. After Duffy said he didn't have the money, he related, "Nigel Wright said, 'Don't worry, I'll write the cheque.'"

The Senate was debating motions brought by the Conservatives to suspend Duffy and fellow senators Pamela Wallin and Patrick Brazeau without pay in response to allegations involving their expense claims.

Duffy said he was speaking against the order of his own doctors because of a heart condition, and asked the Senate, if he was suspended without pay or benfits, how would he pay for his heart drugs, especially since he said the Senate has the power to remove him from the Senate health plan.

Duffy also implicated the prime minister's current chief of staff, Ray Novak, in his explosive speech. He said Novak phoned him and told him if he did not resign from the Conservative caucus, he would be thrown out.

Novak, Duffy said, further told him he would then have to appear before the Senate ethics committee and would likely be expelled from the Senate.

Duffy said his wife and his sister were on the line listening to Novak's call.

Before the Prime Minister's Office turned against him, Duffy said one of the promises made to him was that he would not be audited by Deloitte, a private accounting firm that was looking at senators' expense claims.

Duffy said he was also promised that Government Senate Leader Marjory LeBreton would whip the Conservative Senate caucus in order to prevent his expulsion, should there be a motion to expel him.

At one point Duffy referred to the Prime Minister's Office as the "kids in short pants."

Brazeau says he's done nothing wrong

An emotional Brazeau spoke after Duffy, saying the Senate "was where due process comes to die." Brazeau claimed he'd been given tacit approval to claim a secondary residence, and he scolded the Senate's internal economy committee for ignoring a Deloitte report that concluded Senate residency rules were unclear.

At one point, Duffy interjected loudly while Brazeau spoke, saying, "The fix was in."

Brazeau ended his speech by saying: "Stephen Harper, you've lost my vote."

The Senate then adjourned for the day to resume the debate at its next sitting.

When debate resumes, several Liberal senators and at least one Conservative, Hugh Segal, have said they will vote against the motion to suspend Duffy, Wallin and Brazeau.

Wallin and Brazeau entered the Senate chamber at the last minute, walking up the stairs to the door surrounded by reporters and accompanied by Senate security, but not commenting.

The three senators, who are termed Independents, sat together side by side, surrounded by several empty seats.

Liberal Senators Terry Mercer and George Baker said they both intend to speak against the motion in the Senate. Baker believes the motion, if passed, could interfere with the possibility of criminal charges being laid against any of the three senators.

Baker said in an interview the Senate is considered a judicial body, and once it imposes a punitive measure on the senators, a criminal charge would be considered double jeopardy. "You should not foreclose a police investigation, especially when you asked them to investigate," he said, referring to the fact the Senate earlier passed a motion inviting the RCMP to investigate Duffy, Wallin and Brazeau.

Conservative Senator Hugh Segal, a close friend of Wallin's, told reporters Tuesday he will vote against the motion. "Gross negligence is a serious term that implies intent," he said, adding he doesn't want to interfere in the police investigation.

Gross negligence is a phrase employed in the motion drafted by Government Senate Leader Claude Carignan to suspend the three senators. It's a charge often used under the Income Tax Act, and can mean knowingly making false statements or omissions in a tax return.

Rob Walsh, a former top legal adviser to the House of Commons, does not believe the motion infringes on any police investigation. "Senate proceedings are isolated unto the Senate. They don't have any bearing and are not relevant and can't be introduced into any proceedings in a court," he said in an interview.

Liberal Senator Céline Hervieux-Payette told CBC News Network she will vote against the motion. Liberal Senator Jim Munson told reporters he will vote no as well.

Conservatives have a large majority in the Senate, almost double the seats of Liberals. Conservative Senator Marjory LeBreton pointed out to reporters Tuesday that the Senate has suspended a senator without pay once before, in the case of Liberal Senator Andrew Thompson, for not attending Senate sittings.

On Tuesday, Conservative Senate leader Claude Carignan told reporters there may not be a vote at the end of the day, which means the debate could carry over into the next sitting. Carignan also said any vote by his caucus would not be whipped, meaning Conservative senators can vote according to their conscience.

On Monday, Duffy's lawyer levelled bombshell allegations at the Prime Minister's Office, saying his client's living expenses were "cleared from Day 1" by the office of LeBreton, who was then Senate government leader, and when they later became controversial, Duffy was pressured to take a deal from the PMO or face removal from his seat.

Lawyer Donald Bayne on Monday read from emails purportedly between Duffy and LeBreton's office as well as Harper's former chief of staff Wright and others to support his claim that Duffy did not knowingly break Senate rules.

Bayne said that when the growing scandal became politically explosive, Duffy was "in effect" told by the PMO not to co-operate with auditors, Bayne said.

PM offers no new info

Bayne said the PMO told Duffy "the Tory base" was offended by his residency claims and he would have to repay money for all four years of secondary housing claims for his Ottawa home. Duffy's objections to repaying money he did not believe he owed, said Bayne, were greeted by "threats and pressure from the PMO."

mike-duffy-s-lawyer-donald-bayne.jpg

Senator Mike Duffy's living expenses were approved by the Senate's Conservative leadership until an expenses scandal broke and he was pressured to cut a deal with the Prime Minister's Office, Duffy's lawyer Donald Bayne told media during a news conference Monday on Parliament Hill. (Adrian Wyld/Canadian Press)

One of those threats, said Bayne, was that Senators David Tkachuk and Carolyn Stewart Olsen, who held the majority on a subcommittee, would declare Duffy's Senate appointment constitutionally invalid if he refused to co-operate with accepting a payment from Wright.

The PMO, Bayne said, came up with a "scenario" and communication lines for Duffy to use with the media about how to explain why he was paying back the expense money.

During Monday's question period in the House of Commons, the prime minister offered no new information to address the claims, repeating what he has said every time he has been asked about the allegations in the ongoing Senate expenses scandal.

"We've been very clear that we expect all parliamentarians to respect the letter and the spirit of any rules regarding expenses, and if they do not respect that, then they can expect there to be consequences and accountability for their actions," Harper said.

---------------------------------------------------------

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/mike-duffy-allegations-fire-up-ndp-liberal-caucus-meetings-1.2186620

Senator Mike Duffy's testimony in the Senate on Tuesday puts the onus on the prime minister to explain his office's response to the Senate expenses scandal, NDP Leader Tom Mulcair told reporters after a meeting with his caucus on Wednesday.

"This is a profound scandal that directly implicates Stephen Harper," Mulcair said in a scrum on Parliament Hill.

Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau will speak at 12:30 p.m. ET. CBC.ca will carry Trudeau's remarks live.

What happens today

(All times Eastern)

11:00 a.m. - Opposition Leader Tom Mulcair speaks after NDP caucus, livestreaming on CBCNews.ca.

12 p.m. - Chat live with Kady O'Malley on Wednesdays with Kady.

12:30 p.m. - Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau speaks after caucus, livestreaming on CBCNews.ca.

2 p.m. - Senate debate on suspension motions resumes. Listen live and follow our liveblog.

2:15 p.m. - House of Commons question period. Watch live and follow our liveblog.

The Conservative caucus is also meeting Wednesday morning.

On Tuesday, Duffy, the former Conservative senator, spoke publicly for the first time in months, following a summer of allegations in RCMP court documents that he misspent Senate funds.

Duffy alleges Prime Minister Stephen Harper ordered him to pay back his questionable expenses because the Conservative Party base was unhappy with the spending.​

Nigel Wright, Harper's former chief of staff, then arranged to repay Duffy's questionable expenses — a total of $90,000.

Duffy also named names of people involved in negotiating the alleged arrangement and in putting pressure on him, he says, to repay the expenses.

Duffy says he hasn't done anything wrong and that his housing claims, some of the spending for which the RCMP are investigating him, are above-board.

Each party meets every Wednesday when Parliament is in session, leading to raucous question periods afterward. CBC News will have question period live.

Senator Patrick Brazeau, who has also been hit by the spending scandal, spoke to the Senate on Tuesday. Senator Pamela Wallin will speak to the Senate this afternoon.

-----------------------------------------------------

For those of you who have missed it. Today, Stephen Harper's hand picked Senators mounted an offensive against Their once Fearless Leader, who has since become as quiet as a mouse. Up to and including having Paul Calandra answer all of the questions directed at him during question period with the same robotic and scripted answers.

I for one despise Harper as he is the reason I stopped voting Conservative. But I do like to give people the benefit of the doubt. The problem is though that he has benefitted far to many times. For every lie, myth, legend, falsehood or fabrication ever told there has been a grain of truth behind them.

This grain threatens to grow into a mountain as this is pretty damning stuff for even the staunchest Harper supporter

“At worst, he personally ordered it done and chose the people who executed the plan. At the very least, he fostered an attitude within the party … chose the managers of the people who committed these crimes and completely and utterly failed to exercise any oversight, supervision or leadership.

“In the end, it doesn’t really matter where [his] actions or lack of them fall on that scale. He is the leader and a leader is responsible for the actions of the people he leads. If he had a right or honourable bone in his body, he’d admit that and resign immediately

Direct quote from Harper after the release of the Gomery Report

What we really need is to put these liars and scammers under oath and see what comes out. Either way, this gon' be good.

They're already under oath via constitutional legislation, they are not allowed to lie nor mislead either the HOC Parliament or the Senate.

This si incredible, honestly as a person who follows politics fairly closely I am on the proverbial edge of my seat

They're already under oath via constitutional legislation, they are not allowed to lie nor mislead either the HOC Parliament or the Senate.

This si incredible, honestly as a person who follows politics fairly closely I am on the proverbial edge of my seat

They're protected by Parliamentary Privilege. Harper can, and does when he's not repeating canned answers, piss into every Canadian's ear and suffer no negative consequences while in the HoC.

I agree this is incredible, and I really hope it brings down this shameful, embarrassing government.

They're protected by Parliamentary Privilege. Harper can, and does when he's not repeating canned answers, piss into every Canadian's ear and suffer no negative consequences while in the HoC.

I agree this is incredible, and I really hope it brings down this shameful, embarrassing government.

Listening to Paul Calandra right now on Power and Politics and yesterday when everyone was demanding answers of Stephen Harper...it's incredible.

He has someone doing the talking for him and refuses to do anything but repeat the same things over and over again. He hasn't answered anything that has been asked of him after the Duffy bomb yesterday and keeps saying that he knew nothing of it, only one person knew when the RCMP and the now hundreds of submitted emails show otherwise.

Absolutely incredible.

It would be like cheating on my wife with her sister and getting caught in the act and refuting it by talking about something someone else said last year.

No honey It isn't cheating because Karl borrowed my car August 11th and didn't fill up the gas tank, I have said this over and over again and as you can see because I keep repeating it it was obviously not cheating.

This is just blowing up and is far from over.

Fourteen Defining Characteristics Of Fascism By Dr. Lawrence Britt

1. Powerful and Continuing Nationalism

2. Disdain for the Recognition of Human Rights

3. Identification of Enemies/Scapegoats as a Unifying Cause

4. Supremacy of the Military

5. Rampant Sexism

6. Controlled Mass Media

7. Obsession with National Security

8. Religion and Government are Intertwined

9. Corporate Power is Protected

10. Labor Power is Suppressed

11. Disdain for Intellectuals and the Arts

12. Obsession with Crime and Punishment

13. Rampant Cronyism and Corruption

14. Fraudulent Elections

Now let us rate our PM

This whole situation is pretty funny to me, as a lot of my friends (who are less informed on politics) have this take of the debacle:

"Some senator misspent money, he continually denies he did anything wrong. Harper is saying the senator did do something wrong and demanded he pay the money back."

From that perspective Harper looks squeaky clean and Duffy looks corrupt. I think that is the perspective a lot of canadians will take. Right now everyone seems to be against Harper, but that is everyone who understands politics talking, those who don't care about following politics have yet to weigh in on the matter.

This is a really big scandal for Harper, big enough to cost him his Prime Minister-ship, but it also seems like a situation that could be spun to the public in a pro-Harper way quite easily.

This whole situation is pretty funny to me, as a lot of my friends (who are less informed on politics) have this take of the debacle:

"Some senator misspent money, he continually denies he did anything wrong. Harper is saying the senator did do something wrong and demanded he pay the money back."

From that perspective Harper looks squeaky clean and Duffy looks corrupt. I think that is the perspective a lot of canadians will take. Right now everyone seems to be against Harper, but that is everyone who understands politics talking, those who don't care about following politics have yet to weigh in on the matter.

This is a really big scandal for Harper, big enough to cost him his Prime Minister-ship, but it also seems like a situation that could be spun to the public in a pro-Harper way quite easily.

No question and you can see it over the last 48 hours how he is trying to spin it in that exact way. But you can also see him unravelling during question period.

He is losing control and it is evident. now including MP's speaking out about his motion and if not directly crossing the floor at least taking a stand against his motions to curtail independents entirely.

Duffy docs

http://www.scribd.co...Duffy-Documents

Oh, and Nigel Wright didn't "regretfully resign" anymore, the story from our PM goes "dismissed" now.

And almost forgot, there were two chequesnot one, the other being from the CPC's lawyer (you can see it above).

Would you believe all these lies are part of what Conservative supporters would call a "non-scandal"?

Duffy docs

http://www.scribd.co...Duffy-Documents

Oh, and Nigel Wright didn't "regretfully resign" anymore, the story from our PM goes "dismissed" now.

And almost forgot, there were two chequesnot one, the other being from the CPC's lawyer (you can see it above).

Would you believe all these lies are part of what Conservative supporters would call a "non-scandal"?

its all falling apart.

Duffys lawyer has hundreds of emails from the pmo and Harper himself which have been handed over tho the rcmp and soon the media.

The truth will set you free they say, in our case it will hopefully bring down a government

Archived