The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

{Article} Ryan Stanton: Unsung Star

chickenman92

" It’s been awhile.

The Vancouver Canucks aren’t exactly known for producing Calder Trophy candidates. The NHL also isn’t known for giving solid, stay-at-home defenceman a whole lot of recognition either; especially in a year with so many more “sexy picks” for the awards.

I mean, Barkov, Hertl, MacKinnon, Jones, Monahan and a few others are looking like the early favourites to walk away with the award and there is no rational reason I can make against these players. They have all played well and are deserving of their accolades...."

Continue reading here

http://ianesplencanucks.wordpress.com/2013/10/23/ryan-stanton-unsung-star/

I have been really impressed with stanton so far. I expected him to be a liability and purely a plug to fill up the roster. He has been a steady defensive presence. I am very pleased with his play and only see him getting better. He's not fantastic or mind blowing, but he is a steady, good, defenceman that we can depend on. Kind of like Tanev. I would be SHOCKED however if he wins the calder

He's played decent. Nothing stands out except for his steady play in both ends of the rink. Does not hurt the team at all.

I think that is the whole point. A steady player as a rookie. Both he and Tanev are moving up into the o-zone a little more as well. One NHL game prior to this year, thanks Chicago. I look at his TOI and cannot help but think of Ballard who never played defense like this kid is.

When we picked him up, Chicago fans on a couple other message boards were pretty upset that they lost him which inflated my expectations for him a little bit. Even so, he has been better than we could have possible hoped for. even if the calder seems a little bit crazy, he has another year after this one at 550k cap hit before becoming an RFA so think he could be a staple on our blueline for quite some time.

Well, among rookie defencemen he's tied for 2nd in rookie scoring, tied for 3rd in +/-, 5th in shooting %, 3rd in hits, tied for 8th in blocks, tied for 7th in takeaways with only 1 giveaway, all while being 22nd in TOI and shifts per game. He's been quite good for the role he has and getting some shifts moving up the lineup.

I don't think that puts him in the Calder discussion, but we know what we have now that we've seen him play.

Good thing Gillis had:

1) the roster spot

2) the cap space

3) the foresight to be prepared for the reality of the market.

4) the scouting

I'm surprised he made it down the wire far enough for Gillis to get him.

Then again, most teams weren't in as good of a position.

I can think of a few that really could have used him though... but they (and Chicago) can suck it.

Archived