The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo's October Struggles

AdeptSinister

So this is a look at Luongo's performance in the month of October since we acquired him.

October 2006

336 Shots against

310 Saves

1 shutout

7 – 4 – 1

.922 Save %

2.17 GAA

October 2007

310 SA

280 Saves

0 shutouts

4 – 7 – 0

.903 SV%

2.73 GAA

Pulled 1 time ( vs. PHI 10/10/07, played 19:54, allowed 4 on 13)

October 2008

295 SA

266 Saves

2 shutouts

6 – 4 – 0

.901 SV%

2.90 GAA

Pulled 1 time (13/10/08 vs. WSH, played 40:00, allowed 5 on 25)

October 2009

315 SA

284 Saves

1 shutout

6 – 6 – 0

.901 SV%

3.10 GAA

Pulled 2 times (vs. CBJ 5/10/09, played 25:43, allowed 4 on 12; vs. CGY 16/10/09, played 40:00, allowed 5 on 19)

October 2010

214 SA

194 Saves

0 shutouts

2 – 3 – 2

.906 SV%

2.86 GAA

Pulled 1 time (vs. MIN 19/10/10, played 39:57, allowed 6 on 18)

October 2011

176 SA

153 Saves

0 shutouts

3 – 3 – 1

.869 SV%

3.29 GAA

Pulled 1 time (25/10/11 vs. EDM, played 26:55, allowed 3 on 14)

October 2012

N/A

October 2013

254 SA

230 Saves

1 shutout

5 – 3 – 1

.906 SV%

2.66 GAA

Looking at the numbers, he looks to be having his best October since 2006, and in the 06/07 season, he was 2nd for the Vezina. Could this possibly (knock on wood) be a sign of a resurgence in his play?

No. He is simply not the same goaltender we acquired in 2006.

His style has changed, he's less athletic, and he does not have the capability of carrying this team. Back in those years, we had terrible defense and needed Luongo to play lights out, in which he did. Now, we have one of the better defense corps in the league, which is why his numbers have gone up, but Luongo is just too unpredictable and lets in way more soft goals than he should.

Ever since his groin injury, age, and the change to a deeper style, he hasn't been the same dominant goalie.

His style has changed, he's less athletic, and he does not have the capability of carrying this team. Back in those years, we had terrible defense and needed Luongo to play lights out, in which he did. Now, we have one of the better defense corps in the league, which is why his numbers have gone up, but Luongo is just too unpredictable and lets in way more soft goals than he should.

Ever since his groin injury, age, and the change to a deeper style, he hasn't been the same dominant goalie.

I would argue that he's more athletic now, at least his style is, not so much his play. When we got him he was so positionally sound. Now he's forced to attempt more acrobatic saves, which isn't as effective. I've never understood why he went away from the positional style that he used to use. Its why I loved watching Schneider. He was so calm, quiet and efficient.

One of Luongo's best seasons was 10/11.

That season he played Melanson's style which was deep in the net with solid positioning.

If you look at Schneider, he doesn't very often have to make athletic saves because his positioning is so sound.

It's all about reading the plays with Lu and trusting his D. He can get there again if our D tightens up so he doesn't have to make highlight reel saves. Positioning is what will get him back to being a top goalie.

previous years we have had a harder schedule to start the year and injury troubles...... this year we have been pretty healthy and have had an easy schedule and his numbers are still no good.....in a season just like in a single game you cant always dig yourself out of an early hole... last year we were in tough for a playoff spot (thank god for our bad division) but who knows this could be the year a poor start costs us or continues past october as we dont have a weak division to beat up on anymore.

Luongo has played better than his numbers suggest so far this season in my opinion. And also he will never be the same as 06/07, that was Luongo in his prime. He was an absolute beast that year and carried a team that was projected to miss the playoffs to a division title and the 2nd round of the playoffs.

When examining Luongo's Octobers, you also have to look at the D. Has out D been good? Not at all.

They've been good on the scoresheet, but they've been horrible in their own zone. Failing to take their man, clearing pucks, giving up odd man rushes, and even scoring on their own goal.

I think October is a combined effort between Lu and guys like Edler, Bieksa, and Hamhuis. The D-men are all still settling into their games too, and they all have to adapt to Tortorella's new aggressive style to D zone coverage.

I think it will take about a month or two before the D and Lu are in sync and everything will just be done as second nature. That's when this team starts to put it in cruise control and lock down the wins.

shutup and just get behind him thats what fans do not rip out the number 1 goalie. I play proffesional soccer and even after a bad game when the fans and coaches usually would be quick to blame the goalie they instead say you will be back playing like yourself next game. Especially after the up and down of the off season just get behind the guy. It seems people would rather get behind a guy that just joined the Canucks then a proven player

Luongo has played better than his numbers suggest so far this season in my opinion. And also he will never be the same as 06/07, that was Luongo in his prime. He was an absolute beast that year and carried a team that was projected to miss the playoffs to a division title and the 2nd round of the playoffs.

Followed that up by choking down the stretch the next year and missing the playoffs. Pretty much sums up his career.

So, the numbers indicate he's not doing as poorly as people think - in fact, the opposite - but apparently he's still doing poorly.

And since we know Lu doesn't really get comfortable until November along with the team as a whole, the numbers would indicate that he's ahead of schedule.

And he's got a lot on the line this year in increasing his value for the team, the Olympics, and the market in general after the summer's drama.

Looking good so far unless the numbers are lying.

He will be fine if we can only score a few bloody goals or stop an odd man rush

Quit blaming the other obvious mitigating factors at play. It's clearly Luongo's fault that the team is 3-1-1 on the most recent road trip. The one loss did come when he wasn't in net but I think he had something to do with it anyways.

Quit blaming the other obvious mitigating factors at play. It's clearly Luongo's fault that the team is 3-1-1 on the most recent road trip. The one loss did come when he wasn't in net but I think he had something to do with it anyways.

LOL...good one...

One thing I agree with you is that his style has changed big time and I don't get why they changed it. His first year here, you can clearly see the difference in play. He played almost like Tim Thomas, coming out far and just looking way quicker and athletic.

But he has proven he can come up big with how he plays now and he can backstop the team to cup. Clearly his stats right now are reflecting his usual slow Oct although his stats are some his best in Oct but he has kept the team in every game and not letting games become blowouts This is a positive sign, and something he has been able to change so far.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Luo's playing better than his stats reflect thus far. There's always room for improvement on his part (that 3rd goal last night was a stinker!), but many of the goals against him have been obvious defensive breakdowns. And let's not forget that this early on, Hamhuis' own goal is still dragging Lou's stats down. (Without that goal alone, Luo would have a .909 for the season instead of a .906.)

I fully expect as the team's play improves Luo's stats will show that he's actually playing very well this year.

Archived