The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2008 Draft...one of the players is missing!

So looking at the amazing 2008 draft on hockeydb.com.

http://www.hockeydb....t/nhl2008e.html

I can chuckle at Kyle Beach, and think "Well it could have been worse if we took him instead..you know that other guy".

What I find interesting is Nashville's pick of 1st rounder and 18th overall Chet Pickard.

Hockeydb says he's over in Sweden now. I thought he was supposed to be a blue chip goalie prospect?

Anyone know what happened there in Nashville?

And his brother Calvin Pickard seems to be following suit being buried in the system in Colorado. (Sorry that's not a pun on Avalanche.) Looks like Varlamov and Giguere are running the show for now.

Is it just tougher for goalies from junior to make it these days?

Remember when Pogge and Tokarski were supposed to be studs. A lot of team Canada's junior starters seem to have a difficulty making the NHL.

I thought Pogge for sure was going to be an NHL star. So many of Canada's junior goalies have faded.

Jeff Glass

Rejean Beauchemin

Steve Mason

Justin Pogge

Dustin Tokarski

The only goalie who has really thrived at the WJHC and in the NHL is Carey Price.

it is very hard to project goalies who are drafted at 18, there is still another 5-6years of development there that are crucial. Most programs in Canada do not have dedicated goalie coaches for teams until they hit junior.

What does that mean? typically goalies have on-ice sessions with a goalie coach in a practice and the coach rarely if ever actually sees the goalie play an actual game to give feedback. Finland on the other hand (the country producing the most goalies lately) has goalie coaches dedicated to every rep team that are at every practice and game to give feedback and it speeds up the process.

tldr; goalies take a long time to develop and its very hard to project, much harder than players whose skills transfer much easier.

Canada hasn't really developed any good goaltenders for a while now. Once Marty Brodeur retires, Hockey Canada needs to hire him to cultivate young Canadian goalies. I'm not saying he wants the job or could even be good at it, but it's worth a shot. It's not a mirage that Colorado's goaltending tandem is looking like gold right now. Patrick Roy's input has to be at least part of the reason.

I thought Pogge for sure was going to be an NHL star. So many of Canada's junior goalies have faded.

Jeff Glass

Rejean Beauchemin

Steve Mason

Justin Pogge

Dustin Tokarski

The only goalie who has really thrived at the WJHC and in the NHL is Carey Price.

Masons playing pretty solid in Philly right now, and he has a calder trophy under his belt. He hasn't exactly thrived in the NHL, but he certainly isn't a bust like the rest of them on your list.

Remember when Pogge and Tokarski were supposed to be studs. A lot of team Canada's junior starters seem to have a difficulty making the NHL.

The last great was Carey Price...

A long time since he patrolled the crease at the WJC...

Archived