The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vaclav Prospal ...

Been posted before, but I'm just curious to why he hasn't been signed.

Gillis says he wants young guys in the line-up, so far Stanton is the only new young face that is 24 or under. Dalpe barely plays. Other notables:

Tanev (played last year)

Weise (played last year)

Kassian (played last year)

If that's the case, sign Prospal for a 1 year deal... Best playmaking winger in FA that will cost you nothing but money. Proven player.

30 pts in 48gp last year in Columbus (more than any Canuck not named Sedin)

55 pts in 82 gp 2010/12 in Columbus

23 pts in 29 gp in 2010/11 in NYR

58 pts in 75gp in 2009/10 in NYR

Avg: 234gp, 166 pts (.71 ptspg)

Has experience playing under Torts in NYR and even on TBL.

Seem to have a good relationship: http://www.tampabay....ightning-buyout

"Vinny has helped us (coaches) out in a lot of ways," coach Todd Richards said. "It's his preparedness. It's his professionalism. It's his passion. He brings it all to the table, and he has for a long time now. He's a guy who knows how to have fun. He makes the work fun, and the guys feed off that. But he's also a guy who knows when it's time to get busy and get to work, and the guys see that."

Prospal is a highly gifted offensive talent. Always winds up playing in the top 6... Not sure why he isn't signed, but a 1 year deal as a "money-ball" would be smart, especially when the guy has proven to produce.

Swap Booth with Erik Cole, and hope he works under Torts and alongside Kesler...

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Prospal - Kesler - Cole

Higgins - Santorelli - Hansen

Kassian - Richardson - Weise

I've had my eye on him too, I don't understand why we haven't signed him either.

As you said, the experience with Torts is there. The Roster space is there, and our young players are not.

Prospal could end up being a good Moneyball alternative to finding Kesler a winger - or a 3rd line center.

I'm pretty sure Prospal would have been signed by now if he was looking for another NHL gig. I remember reading about how he was hoping to finish his career in Colubmus and eventually take a front office job with them, but it looks like that plan changed when Howson was fired. I'm guessing Prospal doesn't want to uproot his family for one season somewhere else.

If he's still in shape and practicing, he would be the PERFECT player.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian (Line 1A) - 20 Minutes

Burrows - Kesler - Prospal (Line 1B) - 18 Minutes

Higgins - Santorelli - Hansen (Line 2) - 12 Minutes

Richardson - Schroeder - Booth (Line 3) - 10 minutes

Edler - Garrison (Pair 1A) - 24 minutes

Hamhuis - Tanev (Pair 1B) - 20 minutes

Bieksa - Stanton (Pair 2) - 16 minutes

If he's still in shape and practicing, he would be the PERFECT player.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian (Line 1A) - 20 Minutes

Burrows - Kesler - Prospal (Line 1B) - 18 Minutes

Higgins - Santorelli - Hansen (Line 2) - 12 Minutes

Richardson - Schroeder - Booth (Line 3) - 10 minutes

Edler - Garrison (Pair 1A) - 24 minutes

Hamhuis - Tanev (Pair 1B) - 20 minutes

Bieksa - Stanton (Pair 2) - 16 minutes

No one is tough enough to fight in our lineup other than Bieksa.

Also, we have no cap space.

Prospal makes a ton of sense but I could see MG being reluctant due to M.Schneider and Schaefer having problems here with roles. It also doesn't help that vets like Sturm, Samuelsson, and Malholtra all left on less than stellar terms. Maybe Vinny is more concerned with family and playing closer to CBJ(where he had a gentleman's agreement to stay with the organization until retirement and work for them afterwards)

• 2 months later...

Cole's playing decent now. With Prospal on a PTO and we swap Booth (maybe a little sweetener added) for Cole...

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Cole - Kesler - Kassian

Higgins - Prospal - Hansen

Sestito - Richardson - Santorelli

I like that line up when it's healthy and on its game, especially if Prospal still has anything left.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Cole - Kesler - Kassian

Higgins - Prospal - Hansen

Sestito - Richardson - Santorelli

I like that line up when it's healthy and on its game, especially if Prospal still has anything left.

I like that line up too, four dangerous lines come playoff time. Kesler would play well with Cole too.

Archived