The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks vs. Elite?

Dr. Crossbar

Been waiting to create my first thread for a while.

So, we finally beat an elite team. There we have it ... it's behind us. We also took the elite Penguins to a shootout while beating the mediocre/weak teams.

So, the Blues victory ... was it fluke, or are we actually better than people give us credit for?

Now that we've stayed with Pens and beaten the Blues, do we have what it takes to beat SJ and Chicago? Can we be an elite team? Are we an elite team ? Where do we stack up against elite teams now that we got the monkey off our back?

Thoughts?

Firmly believe this will get locked because it should be in the GDT but,

I think we won that game hands down to end a 7 game road trip 4th game in 5 nights or some such nonsense; and that 5-3 killed us, to end AND start a period down 2 and then a single man. That's tough man and at least one of those calls was highly questionable.

We will not be an elite team nor considered an elite team until we start beating and eating our own division again no matter who we beat.

Oh the sweet irony, the accusation of feasting on easy teams for points as the NW division champs for 5 straight years, constantly hearing how we had to beat everyone else as well (when we were actually; handily)

Only to now hear it doesn't matter who you beat, you've gotta beat your division it's the toughest in hockey.

*Sigh* We are just a hockey team good enough to make the playoffs and ?

Is the reality of our team right now

They're still elite when healthy. They're just no longer the undisputed number one

Pretty much this, we have lost too many pieces to be the #1 undisputed best club in the league, but a healthy Canucks line up can beat any team on any given day expect Sunday... Booth seems to cause a negative atmosphere in the locker room on Sundays...

Jokes aside at the beginning of the season... this line up looked like crap and right now it looks fantastic.

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Higgins Kesler Santorelli

Kassian Schroeder Hansen

Sestito Richardson Weise

That is a solid line up even with Booth missing...

4 weeks ago if you said Santorelli was good enough to produce .69 points per game and play on the 2nd line, even I'd laugh at you... And I had him slotted in as our 4th line center and had people laugh at me for that.

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Kesler Kassian

Higgins Santorelli Hansen

Sestito Richardson Weise

If we could replace Booth with a top 6 playmaker... or even just get a 3rd C and let Santo keep passing it to Kesler... We'd be laughing

I don't consider St.Louis elite. They are a solid team though, so it's nice to beat them with a tired, banged up roster.

5-1-1 coming into this game, well rested vs a team that is missing key pieces, played the night before, played 7 games in the last 11 days, and is at the tail end of a long road trip.

If people were betting on this game, I guarantee you it was against the Canucks.

I think this is totally legit to ask these questions since so many people were saying that we weren't good enough because we weren't 'beating top teams.

Well, we have now .., and we took another to a shootout. I'm asking, so, were those just fluke, or are we getting better? I'm just asking.

How is that not substance? And, since we just passed that first roadmarker, this would be a unique discussion and not redundant.

I'm not a big fan of calling this or that team 'elite'. I think there's a good 10 or so teams in the NHL that are very close and could win the cup. All it takes is getting lucky with injuries, getting hot at the right time, and getting favourable matchups in the post season. I would count the Canucks in the top 10 though, yes. I actually think, at least from what I've seen, we're a better team than last year with Santorelli and Richardson adding some grit.

I'm not a big fan of calling this or that team 'elite'. I think there's a good 10 or so teams in the NHL that are very close and could win the cup. All it takes is getting lucky with injuries, getting hot at the right time, and getting favourable matchups in the post season. I would count the Canucks in the top 10 though, yes. I actually think, at least from what I've seen, we're a better team than last year with Santorelli and Richardson adding some grit.

They help, so does having someone who actually coaches behind the bench.

I know we barely won some of the games on this trip, and I'm not degrading the 5-1-1 record which is amazing, but the Canucks could have gone 7-0 on the trip if we beat Pitts in the crapshoot, and if Higgins buried that great opportunity in Columbus. To think 7 games on the road we were right in it, great heart by this team so far. Hopefully Kes and Sedins dont get worn out

It is safe to say that the Canucks have not beaten one elite team this year.

They were in the Pittsburgh game and in this game tonight but fans know that Hank,Dan and Kes can not keep playing 25+ minutes every night of the season.

St.Louis is a good team and so are the Canucks.St. Louis has only played eight games but their PP rocks while their PK sucks.

The Canucks PP is bottom five now and their PK is just above the middle of the league.

San Jose and Detroit are good markers for the Canucks.

Let's see how they do against Detroit as Washington are just playing .500 hockey.

Glad Kes is on track.He is going to need a big year for this club to continue to compete.

Good post and great points by nuck nit. And just for the record sake, it would be nice if we started to establish who the elite teams are this season and who the good teams are.

If we nearly beat but dominate the Pens, we're not good enough. If we beat a now so-called "good" team like St. Louis, we're good but not good enough!

Where's the line?

Yet ... when we beat mediocre teams, people say we're only good enough to beat mediocre to bad teams. So, as a fan like the rest of you guys, where's the line?

I think it's important that we hear from the guys who said we can't beat elite or even good teams.

We beat - as nuck nit points out, a good team, which, I believe St. Louis was more lumped in among the top 5 elite teams this season, and again, we took an elite team to a shootout. So, where do we really stand?

Or do we need to concede that ... well, it's still STILL too early that we can't say we 're elite or good but instead only bad or mediocre. And then we'll just have to revisit this when the Canucks suck, are good, are becoming an elite team, or are an elite team ... because then each group could say, "I told you so!"

Come on you guys!!!!

I don't think that the Canucks are an elite team, but then again, I also didn't think that the Los Angeles Kings were an elite team in 2012. The Canucks play a style of game now where anything can happen and they should be able to beat better teams if they keep up good play.

Or do we need to concede that ... well, it's still STILL too early that we can't say we 're elite or good but instead only bad or mediocre. And then we'll just have to revisit this when the Canucks suck, are good, are becoming an elite team, or are an elite team ... because then each group could say, "I told you so!"

It's still too early to tell, but so far I like their level of compete, and the fact that they are grinding out the wins in close games. Those qualities may serve them far better in the playoffs than being an "elite" regular season team.

No, they didn't beat any elite teams on this trip, but they won 5 games on a tough 7 games in 11 nights road trip, including back to back games at the tail end. I'm not booking my spot for the Stanley Cup parade, but I thought They showed some real character. And I'm usually a pessimist.

It is safe to say that the Canucks have not beaten one elite team this year.

They were in the Pittsburgh game and in this game tonight but fans know that Hank,Dan and Kes can not keep playing 25+ minutes every night of the season.

St.Louis is a good team and so are the Canucks.St. Louis has only played eight games but their PP rocks while their PK sucks.

The Canucks PP is bottom five now and their PK is just above the middle of the league.

San Jose and Detroit are good markers for the Canucks.

Let's see how they do against Detroit as Washington are just playing .500 hockey.

Glad Kes is on track.He is going to need a big year for this club to continue to compete.

I agree. That said the impressive aspect of the Blues game was the amount of ice the 4th liners got. Canucks made the absolute most of their trip and Van's depth came thru even if the top line played the minutes they did. I agree that the PP is a big issue as special teams are critical for CUP play. I still say a fairer assessment is after 20 games not 11. Absolutely impressed with Santorelli, Stanton, Richardson and to a lessor degree Welsh. I honestly think that SChroeder will struggle to get back into this lineup the way it is playing.

It's still too early to tell, but so far I like their level of compete, and the fact that they are grinding out the wins in close games. Those qualities may serve them far better in the playoffs than being an "elite" regular season team.

No, they didn't beat any elite teams on this trip, but they won 5 games on a tough 7 games in 11 nights road trip, including back to back games at the tail end. I'm not booking my spot for the Stanley Cup parade, but I thought They showed some real character. And I'm usually a pessimist.

Well, that's the thing for me, the pessimism. And maybe for some that's actually cautious optimism.

There's been so much talk about how we haven't beat the elite teams or good teams. Granted we haven't beat Chicago or San Jose, or some of the others yet but we did just beat St. Louis who many around here are hailing as SC contenders, elite, top, good.

Although it's still early, it looks to me like we're a lot better than the pessimism would have you believe. And I'm not saying we are an elite team at the moment either. And at this stage, I'm not planning any SC parades either.

The road trip, the record, the play against the Pens and Blues, all despite injuries ... it looks to me the glass is half-full at this early stage.

When we perform well against elite and good teams ... at what point do the pessimists stop and go ... actually, like it appears what you're saying above ... "You know, we're not as bad as I thought we were."?

Archived