The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anton Rodin is putting up some numbers so far

canuckbeliever

This is the best I could gather from twitter as I saw his numbers this year and was like damn he is having a good year. So technically he is an RFA. The Canucks did qualify him so they retain his rights until a certain age [not sure when said age is].

He is the 11th leading scorer in the Swedish Hockey league formerly the Swedish Elite League.

2013-14 Brynas IF Gavle SweHL 16 4 10 14 10 -1

14 points in 16 games thus far not too shabby. His best in the SEL was as a 20 year old when he put up 26 points in 53 games. I recall when the Canucks picked him at the draft a lot of people thought he would be a steal. Rumor has it he was also on the Red Wings radar (ie Edler).Injuries have held him back quite a bit however. seems like he finally maybe putting those demons behind him

It's not that his game didn't translate over here. It's just a little more physical over here, and with the injury he got a few seasons ago, he had no confidence and afraid to get close to contact.

What he has to do is build some confidence, and come back. He was showing some potential in his first couple of years with the AHL. It just doesn't disappear. His former teammates, Jakob Silferberg was also struggling until he got traded to Anaheim. Calle Jarnkrok is also struggling. Mind you, these 2 players played better than Rodin on the Brynas team in terms of talent, but Rodin was suppose to transition to the NHL better.

I wouldn't write him off yet, because he had a similar developmental years to Jordan Schroeder. Both are still fairly young. Only thing is that, i think he's had enough of the North American game.

I could see him coming back to the NHL when he is 26 and being a cheap secondary scoring option for a team but I don't think we will see him in a Canucks jersey ever again. Good to see he is putting up better numbers but it is different - less physical and bigger ice. Considering his first year AHL numbers were close to his SEL numbers, I wonder if he could potentially be a 60 point player if he returned to the AHL next year? Hard to say.

He had a rough year last season but even if he did improve it is hard to say if he is NHL calbre. Reminds me a bit of Jozef Balej - talented enough to play in the NHL but not physical enough for the bottom 6 or talented enough for the top 6.

It's not that his game didn't translate over here. It's just a little more physical over here, and with the injury he got a few seasons ago, he had no confidence and afraid to get close to contact.

What he has to do is build some confidence, and come back. He was showing some potential in his first couple of years with the AHL. It just doesn't disappear. His former teammates, Jakob Silferberg was also struggling until he got traded to Anaheim. Calle Jarnkrok is also struggling. Mind you, these 2 players played better than Rodin on the Brynas team in terms of talent, but Rodin was suppose to transition to the NHL better.

I wouldn't write him off yet, because he had a similar developmental years to Jordan Schroeder. Both are still fairly young. Only thing is that, i think he's had enough of the North American game.

That's what I thought until I saw him absolutely rock some Abbotsford heat player in a game last year.

Comparing him to Silfverberg isn't quite right.

Silfverberg put up 29 points in 34 games his first season in the AHL, then followed suit with 19 points in 48 games once the lockout ended. He never really struggled whatsoever.

He's adapted as good as (or better than) most scouts had anticipated.

I wouldn't right off Rodin either, but it would be far more than a pleasant surprise if he was ever a solid contributor in NA.

Comparing him to Silfverberg isn't quite right.

Silfverberg put up 29 points in 34 games his first season in the AHL, then followed suit with 19 points in 48 games once the lockout ended. He never really struggled whatsoever.

He's adapted as good as (or better than) most scouts had anticipated.

I wouldn't right off Rodin either, but it would be far more than a pleasant surprise if he was ever a solid contributor in NA.

the comparison isn't a direct comparison. They all played on Brynas, so comparing their development makes a hell lot of sense. Silfverberg came up as an average player with a real good wrist shot. That hasn't really changed. Again, I said both(Jankrok) were better than Rodin in Brynas. Lets not get carried away by arguing about something that is irrelevant.

That's what I thought until I saw him absolutely rock some Abbotsford heat player in a game last year.

There isn't any doubt that he could be physical enough to play in this league. All the scouts had him transitioning to the NHL better than Silferberg and Jankrok because of it. It needs to be consistent, he spent too much hesitating most of the time and ending up not doing anything at all as if he didn't want to battle for the puck.

Has he grown at all? When he was drafted he looked quite immature physically, his only hope of making the transition to NA hockey is if he grows. He's quite fiesty and IMO has a N.A style game but needs the muscle to compete with larger players and make room for himself. Hopefully he gets his confidence back and puts on some muscle, I have faith he still can make it.

For Rodin, he has to be a skilled player to be succesful in the NHL, he isn't a 4th liner physical guy. He has to be a top 6 skilled player in the NHL to be successful. Until he achieves that I don't see him coming here unless he goes to the east.

Has he grown at all? When he was drafted he looked quite immature physically, his only hope of making the transition to NA hockey is if he grows. He's quite fiesty and IMO has a N.A style game but needs the muscle to compete with larger players and make room for himself. Hopefully he gets his confidence back and puts on some muscle, I have faith he still can make it.

He's like 6' and 180lb at the start of last season, so he's about the same size as the Sedins or Naslund.

Maybe if he tacks on another 10-15 lbs by the time he returns to North America, he can be an NHLer.

He's like 6' and 180lb at the start of last season, so he's about the same size as the Sedins or Naslund.

Maybe if he tacks on another 10-15 lbs by the time he returns to North America, he can be an NHLer.

Naslund was labeled a bust by Pittsburgh,, thats why we got him so cheap,,not saying Rodin is a Naslund clone but strange things happen.

He's only 22. Those are pretty good bounce back numbers.

I hope that our management learns from this.

Skill guys like Rodin who haven't physically developed yet should be left in Europe to work on their skill game as they mature.

If they wanna follow the Detroit model, that's what they do. Leave them in the SEL until they're dominating that league, and then give them a season or less in the AHL and then call them up.

Always liked Rodin, in no way am I ready to give up on him. He has shown in the past flashes of brilliance, we just need to see that transition to the NA game. This will happen when he gets that hunger to play over here. It's not only the physical, he seems decently built, it's more the mental aspect of things that makes the transition hard.

Archived