The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

young kids @ games

jtma

I just read somewhere that children under 36" can sit on parents' laps & don't need a ticket. I'm wondering if anyone knows how strict they are about this? My son is maybe 38"..... will they pull him over & measure him if we show up to a game without a ticket for him? Has anyone had any experience with this?

absolute garbage, I don't want some person sitting next to me with a crying kid or who's constantly trying to balance them on their lap. Can't you find a bloody babysitter?

Hate to say it but this guy has a perfect point. I sure wouldnt want to be seated next to that. Im pretty sure the noise level will be more than a bit excessive for such a young one too.

I sat next to a really big woman at the last game I went to .. I would never be rude , so of coarse I said nothing ,, but it really sucked the whole game .. We were both uncomfortable ... I was slanted sideways all night .... my neck actually hurt after ...

absolute garbage, I don't want some person sitting next to me with a crying kid or who's constantly trying to balance them on their lap. Can't you find a bloody babysitter?

i agree. i thought it was always kids over 2 years old need a ticket

I sat next to a really big woman at the last game I went to .. I would never be rude , so of coarse I said nothing ,, but it really sucked the whole game .. We were both uncomfortable ... I was slanted sideways all night .... my neck actually hurt after ...

where's psycho dad when you need him(!)

Wow. This thread took a dive fast. Selfish much, people??

I hate to break it to you, but not everyone can afford $200+ a ticket for a game. Obviously, none of you have kids. We are just trying to find ways to make it more affordable for our family. FYI, we were living overseas for 10 years, recently returned to the west coast for the last couple of years but could not really afford to go to a game as a family. This is out last year here before moving back overseas & my son's birthday is in December. We wanted him to be able to experience a live game at least once in his life since he loves hockey & this would be his big birthday/Christmas surprise. He is the reason we are looking to go to a game. So to answer your douchebag question, NO, WE CANNOT FIND A BLOODY SITTER.

The Canucks have always been about family entertainment & I find these last few comments extremely offensive. Have you forgotten the thrill & excitement of going to your first NHL game as a kid? I'm sorry if you think that a child on a parent's lap might be distracting for you, but NEWSFLASH: THE WORLD DOES NOT REVOLVE AROUND YOU!!

So you obviously don't have a kid/kids eh? Just ignore it.

"Absolute Garbage".... what a dick thing to say.

I hate to break it to you, but not everyone can afford $200+ a ticket for a game. Obviously, none of you have kids. We are just trying to find ways to make it more affordable for our family. FYI, we were living overseas for 10 years, recently returned to the west coast for the last couple of years but could not really afford to go to a game as a family. This is out last year here before moving back overseas & my son's birthday is in December. We wanted him to be able to experience a live game at least once in his life since he loves hockey & this would be his big birthday/Christmas surprise. He is the reason we are looking to go to a game. So to answer your douchebag question, NO, WE CANNOT FIND A BLOODY SITTER.

The Canucks have always been about family entertainment & I find these last few comments extremely offensive. Have you forgotten the thrill & excitement of going to your first NHL game as a kid? I'm sorry if you think that a child on a parent's lap might be distracting for you, but NEWSFLASH: THE WORLD DOES NOT REVOLVE AROUND YOU!!

Exactly! Plus don't you remember? The Great Trevor Linden said "Hockey wasn't for families" when asked about the rising ticket costs back in the 90's.

Hate to say it but this guy has a perfect point. I sure wouldnt want to be seated next to that. Im pretty sure the noise level will be more than a bit excessive for such a young one too.

Maybe if people actually started cheering, but that sure isn't a concern right now. and if it was, kids typically wear earmuffs to the games anyway.

If the people actually started cheering, i'm sure you wouldn't even notice a kid crying right beside you.

plus kids typically don't constantly cry/act out, contrary to your misconceptions. This is especially the case in a game setting where there is something to entertain them at all times, and especially when they are older.

My honest opinion is that you buy cheaper tickets if you're going to bring your kid...buy him a ticket too for the sake of the people around you.

No need to sit in the lower bowl with a three foot tall child sitting on your lap. I can guarantee somebody will call you out and ruin the game for you. You don't want to frack up his first game do you?

Other than that I don't think he'd need earmuffs...he should be fine.

Instead of $200+ a ticket you'll be paying $50-$100.

I'm totally not meaning to be offensive here, but why not go to a Giants game instead? The tickets are way more affordable and then your son can have his own seat and the whole family can afford to go together. That also saves the NHL for something bigger and more special somewhere down the line when he's older and can appreciate it more.

I do remember my first NHL game, I was 18. I also remember going to my first hockey games, but they were WHL games.

I take my nieces and nephew to Victoria Royals games. There's lots of kids there. It's totally a kid friendly atmosphere and they really get into it.

Just my pitch for the WHL.

Archived