The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] VAN - PHI, VAN - MTL

Plum

Before I do my proposal, I just want to say a comment about proposals with our top 3 defensemens being traded. We can't move any of our top 3 defensemens, because the holes are too big to be filled, for example if you get rid of one of Hamhuis, Edler, Garrison which seems to mostly what proposals for us are usually about now. This is what our defense would look like, Hamhuis, Garrison, Bieksa, Tanev, Stanton, Weber. Maybe once Tanev develops it might work but not now.

To PHI: Tanev, 2nd round pick 2014.

To VAN: Couturier.

This happens for them because they lack many RHD, they have a good enough top 6 to get rid of some bottom 6 players like Couturier. Only reason I see this might not happen is because they don't know alot about Chris Tanev. We know he is a good, quiet, reliable top 4/6 defensemen for us. If we have to add more, I say no deal but from our POV this should be a fair deal. Couturier is a good shutdown 3rd line center, he is very good defensively and he is turning 21 in December. Quite young and already a good 3rd line center, think Brenden Gaunce except alot better.

Gaunce-Couturier-Hansen looks like a decent shutdown line in the next 2-3 years if they develop into what they expect to be.

To MON: Jensen, Booth, 3rd round pick.

To VAN: Plekanec.

Secondary scoring. Plekanec can move up the top 2 lines, he can be the 2nd line center while Kesler is on the first line or have a Plekanec and Kesler duo. Booth go back there way for 3rd line winger they need.

Pacioretty-Briere-Gionta

Bourque-Eller-Galchenyuk

Booth-Desharnais-Gallagher

Decent lineup for them all legit top 9 players.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m)

Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Sean Couturier ($0.925m) / Jordan Schroeder ($0.600m)

Brad Richardson ($1.150m) / Mike Santorelli ($0.550m) / Jannik Hansen ($2.500m)

Tom Sestito ($0.750m) / Dale Weise ($0.750m)

DEFENSEMEN

Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Jason Garrison ($4.600m)

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Frank Corrado ($0.599m)

Ryan Stanton ($0.550m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Yannick Weber ($0.650m)

GOALTENDERS

Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)

Eddie Lack ($0.750m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,877,778; BONUSES: $8,333

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $430,556

Plekanec would be the PERFECT 2C if Kesler is gonna stay with the Sedins. Although I think we would have to give up a little more.

Yeah we would have to, I was thinking of throwing Schroeder in there or maybe substituting Kassian for the Jensen and 3rd but that wouldn't help our scoring.

One other thing about Plekanec, he isn't a UFA so he wouldn't leave like Roy and our top 5 forwards would be Sedins, Kesler, Plekanec, Burrows moving into next season for sure, unless Sedins move which is 99% not gonna happen.

Booth has little to no trade value right now, it'd take more than that to get Plekanec. I know that Tanev is a solid defenceman with good potential but it would also take more to snag Couturier because he's a big piece of Philly's future and has really good upside.

Booth has little to no trade value right now, it'd take more than that to get Plekanec. I know that Tanev is a solid defenceman with good potential but it would also take more to snag Couturier because he's a big piece of Philly's future and has really good upside.

On the HFboards Habs fan didn't complain about Booth nor his injury history or anything. It isn't like he is a Scott Gomez,

I think Tanev and a 2nd is just about on the value since the 2nd is about 60% of Couturier's value and Tanev is like 35-40%. I think teams are noticing Tanev a bit more, especially since we just faced Philly. Just telling Holm to look at Tanev and scout him for a bit to increase the value of Tanev and maybe make him bite on the deal plus Tanev is RHD.

Plekanec would be perfect. However, I can't really see Montreal moving him in any deal involving Booth. In fact, I can't really see Montreal trading him at all considering he's (currently) their highest producing forward. It would just seem like a step backwards for them.

Would these be more fair for both teams?

Edler and Schroeder for Simmonds, Couturier, and Meszaros (50% retained - replaces Edler)

Booth, Jensen, TANEV, and 2 1sts and a 3rd for Plekanec

I think Montreal would at least consider it. They lack right-handed defensemen so I think Bergevin would value Tanev a little bit more than how other teams value him.

Booth, Jensen, TANEV, and 2 1sts and a 3rd for Plekanec

:picard: :picard: :picard: :picard: :picard: :picard: :picard: :picard: :picard:

Toronto paid less for a top ten forward in Phil kessel. Way too completely undervalue the boys!

Jensen, Booth, 3rd is undervaluing Plekanic.

3rd is like a 20% chance he plays over 100 games in the NHL. Jensen is long term project. Needs to get used to the North American game. Booth's contract is fine for habs fans, but definitely not management lol.

His value is slightly less than Kesler's, for a comparible. For him you'd want a roster player, a first, and a good prospect.

On the HFboards Habs fan didn't complain about Booth nor his injury history or anything. It isn't like he is a Scott Gomez,

I think Tanev and a 2nd is just about on the value since the 2nd is about 60% of Couturier's value and Tanev is like 35-40%. I think teams are noticing Tanev a bit more, especially since we just faced Philly. Just telling Holm to look at Tanev and scout him for a bit to increase the value of Tanev and maybe make him bite on the deal plus Tanev is RHD.

It's because of his salary cap to production level. He has grown much more injury prone since coming to Vancouver, and his production level has dropped off (he was a 40-60 pt player in Florida) and thus his role has diminished. Would you want an underachieving, injury prone player playing on your bottom 6 at $4.25 mil if you're Montreal? They should be a playoff team this year, as much as I like Plekanec I just don't see that going through.

It'd have to be Tanev, a 2nd and more (another pick or prospect) for Holmgren to even consider trading away one of their top young players.

It's because of his salary cap to production level. He has grown much more injury prone since coming to Vancouver, and his production level has dropped off (he was a 40-60 pt player in Florida) and thus his role has diminished. Would you want an underachieving, injury prone player playing on your bottom 6 at $4.25 mil if you're Montreal? They should be a playoff team this year, as much as I like Plekanec I just don't see that going through.

It'd have to be Tanev, a 2nd and more (another pick or prospect) for Holmgren to even consider trading away one of their top young players.

Fair enough. Just didn't plan on trading anything significant which will hurt our future badly. We could try to go for 1. Maybe doing a Jensen, 2nd or 3rd for Couturier. Still a bit low I think but giving a first or a better prospect isn't worth it.

ppl keep saying that but what is he actually doing?

just like people kept saying it would take edler + to get gubranson out of florida- now look at the guy

Plekanec is Montreal's best two way forward,He's one of their top penalty killers and contributes offensively. Why would they cripple their team by trading him for that crappy package. Booth is utterly worthless and they have better, more nhl ready, forward prospects than Jensen

The 1st trade only makes sense if Philly views tanev as highly as we do. We see him as a potential top 4, while most others see him as a steady 5 or 6 D. Couturier talk has been very quiet. Maybe it's cause Philly looks so bad this year but I haven't heard much about him. Maybe that's a good thing lol. Saying all that, I would do this deal for sure. The 2nd pick makes it a little more intriguing on their part, but I doubt they give up on a 21 yr old that has shown glimpses of stellar play in the past. Decent proposal though!

The 2nd trade is a canucks dream. Plekanec would b an awesome addition to our top 6. Great 2 way player, that steps it up in the playoffs....drool! Jensen is very intriguing to Montreal I'm sure but throwing in booth makes me laugh. I know that we have to throw some salary back their way to even it out but please oh please look at it from their view point. If that 3rd pick is a 1st then Montreal does it but otherwise I think they would get more from another team

If we want Plekanec, Edler or Bieksa will be heading the other way (to replace Markov in the future).

I would like to see something like this:

Goligoski for Booth...both are struggling right now, both are overpaid. However, with a good d partner (in Garrison) I believe Goligoski can turn it around. He's still a legit top-4 d man and has a good presence on the PP.

Edler/Bieksa for Plekanec...he's Montreal's best two-way forward, and is good for about 60 points a year. He would look great centring the 2nd line with or without Kesler on his wing.

Canucks lineup:

Sedin-Sedin-Kesler

Burrows-Plekanec-Kassian

Higgins-Santorelli-Hansen

Archibald-Richardson-Weise

Sesito,Jensen

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Goligoski-Garrison

Stanton-Tanev

Corrado, Alberts,Weber

Luongo

Lack

I don't know about you, but I really like that depth. In this scenario, we have a player on every line capable of filling in for the line above them if injuries occur. Kesler can also be moved to play Plekanec's wing and Burr/Kass/Hansen can move up to play with the Twins.

Lol hamhuis2 really? Booth for goligoski? Thanks for the laugh. I've been really really baked many times but I still wouldn't have given up a top 4 offensive D guy for Booth, no matter how much he's struggling. Plekanec for bieksa/edler is fair for both teams. Hahah let's give away our Injury prone, overpaid, bag of crap for a top 4 D guy that would rule for our pp. lmfao still can't stop laughing

ppl keep saying that but what is he actually doing?

just like people kept saying it would take edler + to get gubranson out of florida- now look at the guy

Couturier is being a 20 soon to be 21 year old solid defense forward for the 3rd line of Philly. In our POV this trade makes sense, a Philly fan might laugh because they no little about Tanev and as I said if they ask for more, no deal.

Plekanec is Montreal's best two way forward,He's one of their top penalty killers and contributes offensively. Why would they cripple their team by trading him for that crappy package. Booth is utterly worthless and they have better, more nhl ready, forward prospects than Jensen

Who are the more NHL ready forward prospects? Hudon? McCaron? Collberg? Only Hudon and Collberg are more NHL ready, Booth is not utterly worthless. He is a bit overpaid, but somebody needs to move as Emelin is going to be off LTIR soon and they need to open up some cap space. We can't take Plekanec without giving any cap back or we'd be over the cap so moving Booth makes complete sense. They have 7 top 6 players, they can afford to move Plekanec.

The 1st trade only makes sense if Philly views tanev as highly as we do. We see him as a potential top 4, while most others see him as a steady 5 or 6 D. Couturier talk has been very quiet. Maybe it's cause Philly looks so bad this year but I haven't heard much about him. Maybe that's a good thing lol. Saying all that, I would do this deal for sure. The 2nd pick makes it a little more intriguing on their part, but I doubt they give up on a 21 yr old that has shown glimpses of stellar play in the past. Decent proposal though!

The 2nd trade is a canucks dream. Plekanec would b an awesome addition to our top 6. Great 2 way player, that steps it up in the playoffs....drool! Jensen is very intriguing to Montreal I'm sure but throwing in booth makes me laugh. I know that we have to throw some salary back their way to even it out but please oh please look at it from their view point. If that 3rd pick is a 1st then Montreal does it but otherwise I think they would get more from another team

I guess waiting till Tanev gets noticed or his trade value goes up is the way to go.

Booth is a top 9 winger anyway you put it. They have more than enough top 6 forwards, someone has, to move since Emelin is going to come off LTIR if you haven't noticed so they have to move someone and it will most likely be Plekanec since they have more than enough centers. (Desharnais, Galchenyuk, Briere, Eller, White). Desharnais would be cheaper but he isn't a real 2nd line center. I showed their lineup in the proposal after this trade and that forward group looks sharp.

Archived