The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Celiac disease

drummer4now

Dr. Art Hister is your new best friend.

http://drart.ca/blog.html

Edit: In case you don't know he's had it for 40 years and he's always yammering away about it.Here's his blog and if you scroll down to his Feb. 23rd. entry you can read some of his thoughts there. But all he's telling you is you need to exercise some self care. There are a lot of gluten free options available these days, so really, it's not rocket surgery.

I was diagnosed with it a couple years ago, but have since been cleared of it... Guess the blood test just showed a false positive.

Celiac disease is probably one of the most livable diseases nowadays - 10 years ago, it would've been difficult to do things like eating out, or even buying groceries. It's pretty common now for restaurants to have gluten free items and such... hell, a lot of non-celiacs like to go on strictly gluten free diets as well.

What can you expect? Lifestyle changes, albiet, relatively smaller ones. There's a ton of good stuff out there nowadays... hell, they even make gluten-free pizza and mac & cheese from the box! Rice will become your new best friend... rice pasta, rice chips, etc.

I think you've zero-ed in on one of the most annoying things about celiac disease, and that's the higher cost of your food associated with it. Obviously, one way to avoid that is to eat a predominantly fruit/vegetable diet... However, you'll most likely have to just bite the bullet on that one. Get a Costco membership and load up on stuff there... they should have a good selection of stuff.

My only advice to you is to beware of the food out there. For example, "gluten-free" does not always mean gluten free. Take the pizzas at say, Panago - in the fine print, it'll say, "gluten-free crust still contains gluten, and should not be consumed by people with celiac disease" or something like that. I'm sure over time you'll get the hang of it...

Just like when I grew up, I never heard of any kids having severe allergies to peanuts. Now there's lots of people allergic to nuts.

I blame all the chemicals, and crap they pump on plants and animals to make them more productive or to have more meat.

We should be looking to get more truly organic and sustainable. Not to what lines Monsanto's profit line.

If you've been diagnosed with celiac, don't take it lightly and don't take any advise from a Canucks forum....except mine ;)

My brother has had it for about 10 years and he has a career with a hectic schedule that demands a lot from his body with a LOT of travel. That means he has to eat a lot of food on the go but he takes it very seriously and is able to manage fine.

If you dont take it seriously, aside from the physical discomfort which can be very debilitating, it can lead to serious long term health problems down the road. So dont take any advice from the average Joe who knows nothing about celiac, and talk in depth with your doctor.

Celiac is "real" but it's a created disease. You're not just born with it.

Chrones is real, Irritable bowel is real, but a gluten allergy? give me a break. Gluten has been in food since the dawn of time and we've only just now started saying people have an allergy to it.

Don't under-estimate the power of the big drug companies.

Celiac is "real" but it's a created disease. You're not just born with it.

Chrones is real, Irritable bowel is real, but a gluten allergy? give me a break. Gluten has been in food since the dawn of time and we've only just now started saying people have an allergy to it.

Don't under-estimate the power of the big drug companies.

the funny thing about this post.. they call "irritable bowel" real, and that's what celiac was mis-diagnosed as for years.

now for some advice... the first several times you go grocery shopping, take extra time to read labels... and I mean EVERY label of something you do want (or might want next time.) Yes it'll take you twice as long for a while, but it'll help you remember what you can/can't have the next time you go. Eventually, you'll be in and out just like normal and you won't have to always check the label.

Make sure you even read labels of foods you'd never think you'd have to worry about (bacon, ham, etc.)

Just like when I grew up, I never heard of any kids having severe allergies to peanuts. Now there's lots of people allergic to nuts.

I blame all the chemicals, and crap they pump on plants and animals to make them more productive or to have more meat.

We should be looking to get more truly organic and sustainable. Not to what lines Monsanto's profit line.

No, that has to do with people being freaks about germs and stuff. These kids have parents that are freaks and disinfect everything and the kid doesn't get a chance do develope an immune system. Let the kids eat dirt and maybe we wouldn't have a generation kids that are of meek, frail and allergic to their own spit.

now for some advice... the first several times you go grocery shopping, take extra time to read labels... and I mean EVERY label of something you do want (or might want next time.) Yes it'll take you twice as long for a while, but it'll help you remember what you can/can't have the next time you go. Eventually, you'll be in and out just like normal and you won't have to always check the label.

Make sure you even read labels of foods you'd never think you'd have to worry about (bacon, ham, etc.)

Aaaaaand?

Thanks all for the replies I appreciate it. I think some people are still confusing this with allergies, it's completely different (autoimmune disorder). I have been exposed to grains all my life (wheat, etc...), but just over the past year or so I noticed changes when ever I would eat grains. Some symptoms would come and go, but others are serious like damage to my small intestines, weight loss, and mental health issues. This can happen to anyone at any age.

My sister has this disease. Like lactose intolerance it gets worse as you get older and can pop up at any time. She started getting stomach and head aches and rashes in her early 30s and it took a fair number of years for them to pinpoint what was wrong as it was getting worse. She is now fine as long as she stays strict with her intake. Anything even slightly iffy gets a no. There are a lot of gluten free manufacturers and most grocery stores have a gluten free section, the Safeway stores near me all do. Glutino brand bread and rice pastas are about the best for those products.She misses beer a lot tho. Not a big drinker by any means but a cold one now and then. Shes into wines instead.

Being on a gluten free diet is not a bad idea for anyone, It keeps you away from processed foods and steers you toward fresh fruits and vegetables, fresh meats, simple starches like rice or potatoes. These are generally much healthier choices all around. Im on a low sodium diet that keeps me out of the entire bakery section at the store anyway.

Archived