The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) My Trade Deadline 2014 / My 2014 Offseason (Long read)

Haven't made a proposal for a while. I like to think big.

TRADE DEADLINE or before:

To DAL: David Booth (15% salary kept), Zack Kassian, Andrew Alberts & Brandon Gaunce

To VAN: Brenden Dillon, Cody Eakin + DAL 2014 1st

Booth + Alberts = Dillon

Kassian + Gaunce = Eakin + 1st

Dallas has a lot of centers, two of which who are older, with more centers who are younger up and coming. They lack some younger skilled wingers outside of Chiasson & Nichushkin. Booth, Kassian helps that, while the Stars also pick up defensive depth and another good young center in Gaunce. Canucks acquire Eakin to fill in the 2nd/3rd line role with Santorelli, having Kesler stay with the Sedins. Dillon is a BC boy, big tough guy as well.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To FLA: Niklas Jensen, Jordan Schroeder, Zac Dalpe + VAN 2014 1st

To VAN: Kris Versteeg (50% salary kept) & Tomas Fleischmann (50% salary kept) + FLA 3rd

Jensen + Schroeder = Versteeg

Dalpe + 1st = Fleischmann + 3rd

Florida is clearly re-building. They have to spend to the floor, they always stay near the floor by signing guys to cheap contracts. If they keep half of Versteeg's and Fleischmann's salary's it will help them stay near the floor while gaining young assets on cheaper contracts. Canucks acquire legit 2nd liners who are playing on the 1st line in Florida. This would help them for at least 3 seasons as Fleischmann is 29, and Versteeg is 27. Versteeg as versatile and could play RW on lines 1-3.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LINEUP HEADING INTO PLAYOFFS

Sedin Sedin Kesler

Fleischmann Eakin Versteeg

Burrows Santorelli Hansen

Higgins Richardson Weise

Sestito, Archibald

Hamhuis Bieksa

Edler Garrison

Dillon Tanev

Stanton

Luongo & Lack

OFFSEASON: Salary cap rises to ~$70,000,000.

Re-sign the Sedins each to 6 year deals worth $37.5 million. $6.250 cap hits.

To FLA: Yannick Weber (RFA) Alex Grenier + VAN 2014 & 2015 2nd's

To VAN: Brian Campbell (50% salary kept) + FLA 2014 4th

This is also a deal that would help Florida reach the cap floor by acquiring Weber & 2 2nd's. Keeping around $3.571 in salary for two more years could help them save money by using all the draft picks they acquire for aging players OR signing UFA's to cheap contracts until 2015 then being ready for when their full rebuild starts turning into a better team, building around Barkov, Huberdeau, Kulikov, Markstrom, Matthias, Shore, Bjugstad and other players they acquire.

Re-sign Mike Santorelli to a 1 year, $1 million deal.

Re-sign Cody Eakin to a 2 year $2.75 million deal. $1.375 cap hit

Re-sign Chris Tanev to a 3 year $7 million deal. $2.333 cap hit

Re-sign Brenden Dillon to a 1 year $1 million deal.

Re-sign Eddie Läck to a 1 year $925,000 deal.

Re-sign Dale Weise to a 1 year $750,000 deal.

2014-2015 LINEUP

Sedin Sedin Kesler

Fleischmann Eakin Versteeg

Burrows Santorelli Hansen

Higgins Richardson Weise

Sestito

OR a more skilled forward group of:

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Fleischmann Kesler Versteeg

Eakin Horvat Shinkaruk

Higgins Richardson Hansen

Santorelli

Hamhuis Bieksa

Garrison Campbell

Edler Tanev

Dillon, Stanton

Luongo & Läck

- This fits under a salary cap of $70,000,000.

I like the Florida deal but not a chance with the Dallas one.

Who does the trade favor more in your eyes?

Don't like it...literally give away majority of our future with all these deals.

Not really, giving away future is when you trade for rentals or older veterans. When you're trading for players who can contribute for 3+ years, that's not giving away future, its merely exchanging it "now" pieces.

Remember what Pittsburgh gave up for Murray, Iginla, Morrow and Jokinen, that's giving away future.

I don't think the Dallas deal will work, Alberts and Booth = Dillon isn't very close in my opinion I think they'd rather keep him but if you replaced Sauve for Alberts so they still have a D prospect might make them bite.

They're isn't much toughness in the lineup either but good proposal, I enjoy reading big proposals that go into next season.

Who does the trade favor more in your eyes?

Not really, giving away future is when you trade for rentals or older veterans. When you're trading for players who can contribute for 3+ years, that's not giving away future, its merely exchanging it "now" pieces.

Remember what Pittsburgh gave up for Murray, Iginla, Morrow and Jokinen, that's giving away future.

They gave up a 6th round pick for Jokinen.

They gave up a 6th round pick for Jokinen.

Yes, but for Iginla was a 1st and two prospects, 2 2nds for Murray and Joe Morrow + 4th for Brenden Morrow.

Those 3 guys only played 15 games and 3 rounds of playoffs for the Pens.

Trading for Campbell, Versteeg and Fleischmann would be beneficial in this case because they have 2, 3 and 2 years left in their contracts, plus 2 of those guys are younger than 30.

Kassian aint going anywhere. Gillis is too stubborn to move him before seeing Kassians potential come out of its shell. I too think that we could upgrade on the right side, and with Burrows, Hansen, and now Kesler flanking the right side, theres not much room for ZK. I could see Burr move to the left, bumping Higgins down when Hansen returns, but IM not so sure that Torts wants ZK in the top 6.... not yet at least.

Dillon is a player that the Stars like quite a bit, and on a cheap contract, he aint moving anywhere, especially for useless and overpaid players AHLberts and Booth.

I do think that therell be some interest in Flieschmann, but at the cost of what the re-building Panters would want... I cant see working it at the moment, unless they were to again show some interest in obtaining Luongo. I think Gillis will look at players either above the Versteeg/Fleischmann threashold or below it, unless theres a steal to be had somewhere out there. We really have enough wingers to play a decent 2 way game in the middle 6, so either snap up an impact player (which I dont see either of these players as), or increase the lower depth with more blue collar grinders to fill out the bottom 6. Steve Ott will be a target again, but I think Buffalo would like to re-sign him.

Moulson will be available, and would be a HUGE boost to the second line.... David Booth has scored 30 once... Moulson has done it 3 times, was close to that pace last season, and is well on track this year with 8 goals in 13 games. His ppg trend has improved every year over the last 5 seasons, so yes if Gillis thought they could re-sign him, Id part with Jensen + for him. An addition of a goal scorer like this could make the Canucks legit contenders imo.

Archived