The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Our Window Really Closing?

sabatoge95

I keep hearing everybody talk about how are window is closing and we will become like the Calgary Flames soon if we don't start rebuilding. This isn't really the case.

In three years our line up could look something like this.

Daniel Sedin - Henrik Sedin - Zack Kassian

Hunter Shinkaruk - Bo Horvat - Ryan Kesler

Nicklas Jensen - Brendan Gaunce - Jannick Hansen

Alex Burrows - Kellain Lain - Darren Archibald

Dan Hamhuis - Alex Edler

Chris Tanev - Frank Corrado/Jordan Subban

Ryan Stanton - Kevin Bieksa/Jason Garrison

Roberto Luongo

Joacim Eriksson

Now of course I don't actually know what the team will look like in three years. I don't know who will be traded, not re-signed, retired, and I don't know if some of our young guys will be busts. This is pure speculation/guessing. But with the players we have in our organization right now, I think this is a pretty accurate guess. And a very solid line up if you ask me.

I am willing to bet that the Sedins will be consistent 80 point players until they retire. 70 at the worst. I haven't seen anything from them to make me think that they will decline heavily because they rely more on skill and hockey IQ rather than speed or physicality. Add Zack Kassian to that line who I believe will be a 50 (maybe even 60) point player by then.

On the second line you have the duo of Shinkaruk and Horvat who will be steadily improving their games as a 21 years olds. To help mentor them is Ryan Kesler who will probably still be a 60 point player.

Jensen - Gaunce - Hansen would be a nice third line that could pitch in offensively. Jensen will be good enough to play in the top 6, Gaunce in my opinion will develop into one of the top shutdown centers in the league, and Hansen in three years will probably be the same player that he is right now.

Our fourth line is physical, defensively responsible, and can pitch in offensively. Everything you want from a fourth line. Burrows at the age of 35 will probably decline back into a bottom six role player. Providing leadership, a defensively sound game, and clutch goals, he would essentially be what Linden was in his last few years (not quite the same leadership factor and legend status of course.) Lain and Archibald round out the rest of that line up very nicely.

Hamhuis I don't think will decline much in this time span. Maybe offensively, but he most likely will still be very solid shut down D-Man. Edler if anything I will improve defensively while still putting up 40-50 points.

Tanev wiill keep improving into our #2 Shutdown D-Man. Stick him with an offensive guy like Corrado or Subban.

Stanton will keep improving too but will likely remain on our 3rd pair as a gritty defensive D-Man with maybe a bit of offensive upside. One of Bieksa or Garrison has to go. Personally I think we should keep Bieksa because I think he is more of leader and is more important to this team. He should retire a Canuck. Of course at the age of 35 his role will be more of a leader on the back end while playing his gritty game and putting up 20-25 points.

Luongo will be nearing the end of his career and Lack will probably be a starting goalie on another team by this point. Not to worry though, we have Joacim Eriksson. I have a gut feeling that this guy will be a beast and will be ready to take over the reigns as soon as Bobby Lu hangs up his skates.

Now again, I know that we don't know what this team will look like in the future. All I'm trying to say is that you don't have to worry about us regressing into bottom feeders anytime soon. This line up I just posted is better than the team we have now and requires no FA signings or trading for other players (which really we probably could sign a big name FA to make the team even better.)

With good drafting and a couple of solid FA signings/trades this teams doesn't even have to worry about the Sedins and Kesler retiring.

Just thought I would try to spread some positivity.

well people can bash our gm all they want, but he's done a good job building around our core while quietly adding younger talent to our prospect pool. i don't think we'll draft players like the twins again, but the best we can do is build a team that will be balanced for the future and remain competitive.

can't say it doesn't cross my mind what this team will be like in a few years, but i'm confident that we're a long ways away from being in a mess that the oilers and flames are in

well people can bash our gm all they want, but he's done a good job building around our core while quietly adding younger talent to our prospect pool. i don't think we'll draft players like the twins again, but the best we can do is build a team that will be balanced for the future and remain competitive.

can't say it doesn't cross my mind what this team will be like in a few years, but i'm confident that we're a long ways away from being in a mess that the oilers and flames are in

Quietly added 2 really good prospects and 2 B prospects. Our pool is only good because of last years draft. Gillis' only saving grace is picking up solid players via FA, NTC aside.

Trades are average and more often costly which includes moving picks and a few prospects. He has done some great things for team and I am not anti Gillis but he hasn't handle prospects very well.

No Mike Santorelli? Brad Richardson?

Garrison will likely be a part of the top pairing.

Hamhuis will be lower maybe third pairing.

I think this team can still do it all. They have too many weapons. The game against the Blues showed Tortorella's impact and it looks good.

My guess at the lineup in 3 years would be something like

Sedin-Sedin-Jensen

Shinkaruk-Kesler-Kassian

Gaunce-Horvat-Schroeder

Higgins-Richardson-Hansen

Santorelli/Weise

Hamhuis-Corrado

Edler-Tanev

Tommernes-Garrison

Andersson/Bieksa?/Stanton?

Schroeder will be 26, Jensen will be 24/25, Gaunce will be 22, Horvat/Shink, 21/22, Kass will be 25/26 I think? Yeah most will seem reasonable ages to stay reliable. Thing is that lineup quite small so I think moving Schroeder will help in the playoffs. Shink, Horvat aren't big both under 6'1? I think Booth is under contract for 3 more years aswell.

Really hard to find out since all of our prospects can be busts.

To answer your question, once Sedins are gone which group of players will put 170-180 points a year? Hard question to answer but I think our window isn't closing, but Horvat, Shinkaruk, Kesler will reach 200 points together and then Kassian, Jensen, Schroeder will hit 140 points as a group.

You have to factor in failed prospects. You can speculate, but to suggest that ALL our first round picks crack the team in a few years? Not by the looks of it.

I understand that, that's why I said it was pure speculation. Horvat, Shinkaruk, Jensen, and Gaunce I doubt will be busts. Depending on what your expectations are for them. But you're right that it could happen. Even if only half of them make it, the other half could be made up in FA signings since we would probably have a fair bit of cap space with all the younger players in the line up.

The point I was trying to make though was that we aren't in this terrible position that people seem to think we're in.

My guess at the lineup in 3 years would be something like

Sedin-Sedin-Jensen

Shinkaruk-Kesler-Kassian

Gaunce-Horvat-Schroeder

Higgins-Richardson-Hansen

Santorelli/Weise

Hamhuis-Corrado

Edler-Tanev

Tommernes-Garrison

Andersson/Bieksa?/Stanton?

Schroeder will be 26, Jensen will be 24/25, Gaunce will be 22, Horvat/Shink, 21/22, Kass will be 25/26 I think? Yeah most will seem reasonable ages to stay reliable. Thing is that lineup quite small so I think moving Schroeder will help in the playoffs. Shink, Horvat aren't big both under 6'1? I think Booth is under contract for 3 more years aswell.

Really hard to find out since all of our prospects can be busts.

To answer your question, once Sedins are gone which group of players will put 170-180 points a year? Hard question to answer but I think our window isn't closing, but Horvat, Shinkaruk, Kesler will reach 200 points together and then Kassian, Jensen, Schroeder will hit 140 points as a group.

Booth is under contract till July 2015. I noticed you don't have Burrows in your lineup. Will he be injured or traded? And the if Santo keeps up with his play. Horvat might be centring him and Burrows on the third line. Here is what I would like to see for the start of the 2016-17 season

Sedin Sedin Kesler

Shinkaruk Santo Kassian

Higgins Horvat Burrows

Archibald Gaunce Jensen

Garrison Tanev

Edler Bieksa

Stanton Corrado

Tommernes

Lack

I suspect, or at least hope that Gillis has actually managed to save us from having to completely rebuild and tank like Edmonton, but rather just go like Detroit and fall to a fringe team for a few years and get back to the top afterwards.

Booth is under contract till July 2015. I noticed you don't have Burrows in your lineup. Will he be injured or traded? And the if Santo keeps up with his play. Horvat might be centring him and Burrows on the third line. Here is what I would like to see for the start of the 2016-17 season

Sedin Sedin Kesler

Shinkaruk Santo Kassian

Higgins Horvat Burrows

Archibald Gaunce Jensen

Garrison Tanev

Edler Bieksa

Stanton Corrado

Tommernes

Lack

Burrows I think will be traded his style of play relies on speed, hitting and checking I think he moves for prospects

Santo I think won't have consistenicy to be on our roster and we let him walk.

All assumption though.

No Mike Santorelli? Brad Richardson?

Garrison will likely be a part of the top pairing.

Hamhuis will be lower maybe third pairing.

I think this team can still do it all. They have too many weapons. The game against the Blues showed Tortorella's impact and it looks good.

I don't see Santorelli or Richardson staying with this team long term. They are doing well with us right now but eventually there will be no room for them due to younger players coming up.

Archived