The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Value of] a top 15 pick in the 2014 nhl draft?

Really there's around ten or so names that stick out as being potential all stars in the first round, and I think management would be good on moving up again. (Yeah I know, lol @ fan scouting. We were the ones who wanted Kyle Beach over Hodgson so take it for what it's worth..)

Then again, It's unsure whether it'd be good to move our second/third round picks due to our cupboard being so bare. Would it be best to add more, rather than gamble on a higher pick?

Sure you guys have heard a bit on the projected top ten guys, i.e. nylander, bennett, reinhart etc, but scouting reports have guys like Schmaltz possibly being a first line talent, and he's going 15-20?

It's really early, but basically wondering what you guys would think of moving up in the draft assuming we finish in our usual 22-27 spot lol.

Doubt we'd have the pieces worth moving that we can afford to move to get another top 15 pick. Unless lack and erricson are amazing and we have another Schneider situation.

Or someone really stupid takes our 1st and Booth for a top 15 pick. Maybe we throw in a prospect. Booth isn't worth hockey tape at this point though.

I don't think this years draft is deep so, i think you will see a plenty of 1st round picks being moved at the deadline. I don't think it'll cost as much to move up into the 10th spot, but obviously, teams would rather pick a prospect and hope that he pans, rather than trade it for nothing. I remember 2009 draft, Dallas didn't even like Glennie but drafted him anyways. Now, he seems like a complete bust. Sometimes, you pick and just hope for the best in their development.

Even your top prospects in this draft aren't really well liked. Ekblad is a wild card, many see a Jay Bouwmeester in him. Sam Reinhart is nothing flashy, he has good hockey IQ but no skill that really stands out. You worry that he's going to be Sam Gagner clone. Of Course, there's the rest of the season to watch every 2014 draft eligible play but it's not particularly looking that great. Don't worry though, draft hype will make them all sound better than they actually are. Nylander looked like a potential 1st overall a couple of years ago, but there are too many question marks with him now. Attitude problems, and doesn't want to play defensive hockey. Might just end up forgotten at the draft. It's not a deep draft, not to say that there isn't going to be a player that comes out of nowhere and surprised everyone. They will be, there always is, but there's nothing here, as of this moment worth really making a deal for.

Teams will ask themselves, if it's even worth it to move up and this year, there's a good chance that answer is going to be No.

I don't think this years draft is deep so, i think you will see a plenty of 1st round picks being moved at the deadline. I don't think it'll cost as much to move up into the 10th spot, but obviously, teams would rather pick a prospect and hope that he pans, rather than trade it for nothing. I remember 2009 draft, Dallas didn't even like Glennie but drafted him anyways. Now, he seems like a complete bust. Sometimes, you pick and just hope for the best in their development.

Even your top prospects in this draft aren't really well liked. Ekblad is a wild card, many see a Jay Bouwmeester in him. Sam Reinhart is nothing flashy, he has good hockey IQ but no skill that really stands out. You worry that he's going to be Sam Gagner clone. Of Course, there's the rest of the season to watch every 2014 draft eligible play but it's not particularly looking that great. Don't worry though, draft hype will make them all sound better than they actually are. Nylander looked like a potential 1st overall a couple of years ago, but there are too many question marks with him now. Attitude problems, and doesn't want to play defensive hockey. Might just end up forgotten at the draft. It's not a deep draft, not to say that there isn't going to be a player that comes out of nowhere and surprised everyone. They will be, there always is, but there's nothing here, as of this moment worth really making a deal for.

Teams will ask themselves, if it's even worth it to move up and this year, there's a good chance that answer is going to be No.

Sounds like you know what's what. Hopefully you are wrong though cause the canucks always get late picks lol.

I think the real question is.. who are we targetting? and what number will he be drafted at?

You are going to have to find out at the end of the year. If you even remotely think about those questions right now then you are just being silly.

Sounds like you know what's what. Hopefully you are wrong though cause the canucks always get late picks lol.

Honestly, for this draft. I'd prefer the Canucks get a late pick. Draft someone with high risk, and hope it turns out. We've seen way too many late 1st rounders turn out a hell lot better than the bigger name guys far too often. There just isn't a sure thing player in this draft. Having a top pick may just force you to draft someone you don't like just. Again, Dallas in 2009 with Glennie. There is going to be a hell lot of movement in ranking because there isn't much to talk about in this draft. Someone will eventually get lucky and find that late first that ends up being potentially better than the 1st overall pick.

There was huge hype last year for Josh Ho-Sang, but his numbers aren't that great yet he's still ranked in the 1st round. People said he had a bit of Stamkos in him. Players are all over the place right now. This draft is terrible due to its uncertainty. You hope that there's a Luca Sbisa/OEL type riser later in the season, where he is a complete unknown right now, and flies into 1st round radar. Now, those are the guys to pick because it's a draft you can make a gamble on.

I don't really think it works like that.

The top pick or two hold their own value, as do picks 3, 4, and 5.

You would probably need to divide the rest at very least like 6-10 and then 11-15 holding their own values.

In my opinion and depending on how deep the draft, it isn't worth moving up unless you're getting a top-10 pick in a deep draft or a top-5 (maaaaybe 6 or 7) otherwise.

In my opinion and depending on how deep the draft, it isn't worth moving up unless you're getting a top-10 pick in a deep draft or a top-5 (maaaaybe 6 or 7) otherwise.

The problem is that every team has the same mindset. You have the guys that are can't miss, high end prospects and no one will want to trade them but because this draft sucks. GM's will be more open.

Use last year as an example. The top tier guys heading into the draft were MacKinnon, Jones, and Druoins but some scouts had Barkov creeping in. Then you had the 2nd tier which consisted in 3/4-10/12 based on team scouting. A 2nd tier player, Bo Horvat, as we all known cost, what people valued Corey Schneider, which is/was a Franchise goaltender.

In this draft. Scouts are trying to see if Reinhart is closer to Barkov or Lindholm and how Ekblad compares to Seth Jones. After that, there's little to no discussion to anything close to the top and 2nd tiers of the last draft. The thing is, Reinhart is only a couple months apart from those top/2nd tiers, and not a lot of people would have picked him ahead of Monahan if Reinhart managed to be in the 2013 draft. It's going to take this whole season to figure if Reinhart and Ekblad can take his game to the next level but those are the two guys you will hear a lot of, and yes. There will be a lot of media that will be over hyping them to try to make it a interesting draft.

Archived