The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Martin Hanzal suspended 2 games

Charging and high contact with the forearm and elbow noted as reasons for the suspension. Fair enough in my view, and I don't think Hanzal had any priors to elevate the suspension.

1:18 of the video says Repeat offender should have been 5 games like Edler even though this was much worse , it was reckless , and blatant attempt to injure.

they need to get ride of the DPS and just have an online vote the question should be was this Hit Awesome or Lame.

and if Awesome wins then suspend the player. would be about as effective as these morons .

1:18 of the video says Repeat offender should have been 5 games like Edler even though this was much worse , it was reckless , and blatant attempt to injure.

they need to get ride of the DPS and just have an online vote the question should be was this Hit Awesome or Lame.

and if Awesome wins then suspend the player. would be about as effective as these morons .

Uh, Edler as a repeat offender was suspended for 3 games, only one more than Hanzal. Hanzal's hit was worse I agree since he jumped and had his elbow/forearm high (although intent to injure's tougher to say) but with no history he gets 2.

Didn't really have too much of an issue with the play. Mayyyyyybe worth one game, I would imagine the second game was due to history. Pretty mundane play, the only (suspendable) issue was the forearm got up.

I know I'm not ok with guys jumping into players during hits with their elbows up. I'm not sure there was a lot of intent there but it was dangerous and reckless so I absolutely think it should be suspended.

Charging and high contact with the forearm and elbow noted as reasons for the suspension. Fair enough in my view, and I don't think Hanzal had any priors to elevate the suspension.

I think he did have priors from a hit on LA's Brown. It seems that the NHL is factoring injuries into suspensions rather than looking at the intent. This wasn't the worst hit I've seen but he was clearly head hunting and it was not to separate the player from the puck as per the rule book considering that the puck was long gone. If Edler got 5, Hanzel should of as well.

I think he did have priors from a hit on LA's Brown. It seems that the NHL is factoring injuries into suspensions rather than looking at the intent. This wasn't the worst hit I've seen but he was clearly head hunting and it was not to separate the player from the puck as per the rule book considering that the puck was long gone. If Edler got 5, Hanzel should of as well.

I couldn't remember any, but you're right. That was about 15-16 months ago so is within the 18 month window for repeat offender status. I'm not entirely clear on how different calls can be used for repeat offender, like a high stick versus a charging call, but assumed all previous suspensions in that time had an affect on future suspensions.

I misread surtur's post as well thinking he was saying that if he was a repeat offender it would have warranted 5 games like Edlers where I think I get now he's saying he was already a repeat offender and should have gotten 5 games like how Edler's suspension was increased. Knowing now he had the previous boarding hit, I'd be more ok with 5 games than I would with 2. Definitely a suspension, but should have been more in that case.

Archived