The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Remember how this Feels

Edler's Mind Tricks

Especially after tonight, I have noticed a pervading sense of optimism around the boards. It is a nice change from the doom and gloom that has been hanging around for the past while, and I want you all to remember what it feels like. What it is like to have Kesler 4th in the league in goal scoring, Henrik the second-leading point scorer. Having a real second line centre freeing up Kesler to move to the wing. Hamhuis and Garrison both arguably in contention for a spot on team Canada while Bieksa leads the league in plus-minus. Luongo with his best October in.... A long time. A team that acts like a team, works as a team. Doesn't dive (much). Doesn't whine (as much). A team that can win all of these games without half of their starting wingers.

Remember this, because there will be times this season when this team, this same team, will look absolutely terrible. Torts will be lambasted in the media for ____, the Sedins will be soft and we won't have any depth. We will be on a losing streak and this board will be erupting. When that happens (and you know it will), remember that this is the same team as this one. This team is just about as good as we think, but all too often, this is forgotten amongst the immediacy of a slump. For the fancy-stats group out there, our PDO isn't unsustainable (100.6 before this game) and individual performances are mostly sustainable (Kesler is playing 23 minutes a night, shooting more and playing offensive minutes with the Sedins, so his regression shouldn't be earth-shattering. Santorelli could fall back to earth, and Garrison might not score quite as much, but that is about it).

This team is good. Even when they are in a rut, they are still a good team. We won't be the favourite going into the playoffs, but we have a chance to make some noise. And if every year, we have a real chance to go deep in the playoffs, I am happy with that.

Remember what this optimism feels like, in a few months you might need it.

People are starting to have faith in the team again because they see a different attitude. The players are playing much different under Tortorella. AV lost the room and players became complacent.

This team believes that Torts can get it done and they believe in his system, they're willing to give that extra effort.

i think a lot of us are knowledgable hockey fans .. I believe that as long as we feel we are getting an honest effort , we treat the team fairly ..

If I invest emotionally , and monitarilly , I expect effort ... not 100 percent winning percentage , just an honest days work ..

Don't care how well we play during October, everything comes down to their play in the post-season. The last 3 seasons of having stellar regular seasons but being blown out in a series has taught me that.

We can go break as many records as we want and win the next 60 games in a row for all I care, but if we get swept in the playoffs it means jack all.

The one positive we can take from the regular season play so far is that Tortorella has this team mentally focussed. We used to go down in games and get bombarded after that, but Torts has found a way to calm these guys - something we couldn't do the last 5 seasons, and opponents took advantage of that in the playoffs (Chicago blowing us open two seasons in a row, Boston doign the same and now two early first round exits in a row). I can almost guarantee that these won't happen again. If we get ousted in the playoffs, the other team will have earned it.

We seem to be winning a lot more close games and coming back from behind this season already which bodes well for this teams character - something that was inexistant with AV behind the bench.

Archived