The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is this line up a contender?

Merci

blah blah blah plan the parade route

we all know it's early, but the team hasn't looked like this in years. A lot of posters predicted a new coach could spark the whole team.

The Canucks have a ton of playoff experience, and apart from a week bottom 6 or top 6 whichever way you look at it you guess, Luongo is playing lights out, and our D is getting better and better.

Do you see this forwards group beating SJ in the playoffs?

Sedin Sedin Kesler

Higgins Santorelli Kassian

Burrows Richardson Hansen

Archibald Welsh Weber

I Think this bottom 6 could be the best we've had in years. And if Tortorella keeps the team believing we can do anything than it isn't too unbelievable to beat SJ, every game with them has been close.

All comes down to luck with injuries and getting hot at the right time. That's how the Oil went to the finals in '06 and the Hurricanes went to the final in '02. All the dominoes fell into place for the Kings at the right time and they wound up winning the cup. This can very well happen to us.

We'll see ;) My advice for you is not to expect the best no matter what happens. It didn't take long for **** to hit the fan against Boston after we played some of our best hockey in franchise history in the San Jose series.

I'd have to see them beat San Jose in the regular season first. We need a better second line centre. I love Santorelli and am one of his biggest supporters, but... If we're going to roll that top line, and it gets shut down, we're absolutely boned.

The Canucks need to get some big, scoring centre depth and it ain't gonna come cheap.

My gut says no. I love how we're playing but there's something still off. Personally I think it's in the D. On paper it's great and we can get by in the regular season, but I still think it's the kind of thing that gets exposed over a 7 game series. It's not one player, it's the fact that there are too many similar players and all it will take is a great coach on the opposing end focusing on the weakness.

If you want to take tonight as an example, notice the way the Caps honed in on Edler and pressured him relentlessly anytime he had the puck behind our net.

To be clear, I'm not saying it's Edler specifically. It's hard to put into words, but it feels like our D corps is a game of musical chairs that will always leave one player standing. No matter the configuration there's always a weak element. The problem is it can't be easily solved and changing the wrong part could bring the whole thing down.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Any team that makes the playoffs is a contender.

I like that our management staff is leaving it to the core to get things done. There's no point in sacrificing the future for a slight increase in our chances at winning now.

Depends on injuries and such. On paper, SJS is much better and would probably win a 7 game series with both current lineups and healthy lineups.

Let's say Kesler stays with the Sedins all season, and a fully healthy lineup we have:

Sedin-Sedin-Kesler

Higgins-Santorelli-Burrows

Hansen-Schroeder/Richardson-Kassian

Booth-Richardson/Welsh-Weise

Sestito

Edler-Garrison

Hamhuis-Tanev

Stanton-Bieksa

Weber

Compare that with the Sharks (not too familiar with how their lineup will look but theoretically):

Hertl-Thornton-Burns

Marleau-Couture-Sheppard

Kennedy-Pavelski-Havlat

Torres-Wingels-Burish

Desjardins, Brown

Vlasic-Boyle

Irwin-Braun

Stuart-Demers

Hannan

Much more depth. That being said, I like how our team is looking on the ice (where it counts) right now, and anything can happen in the playoffs.

I see this team getting better as the season progresses, as injured players return AND hopefully no freak injuries occur. The systems Torts has in play work, it just depends on everyone playing lights out. In that regard Torts has the current line up set up for success- the team either sinks or swims, and that kind of swagger could definitely beat SJ.

i honestly think the sharks have the more balanced team, but it comes down to who steps up and is the story of the series. this team has what it takes to go all the way, as does any other team who makes the playoffs, but it mostly comes down to depth, luck, coaching, so many things that will make or break a series, but beating the sharks, i think this team can get it done if they meet again.

we're not the team that will roll over and die like last year, that anyone who faces this team is gonna have to work for it

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Any team that makes the playoffs is a contender.

All comes down to luck with injuries and getting hot at the right time. That's how the Oil went to the finals in '06 and the Hurricanes went to the final in '02. All the dominoes fell into place for the Kings at the right time and they wound up winning the cup. This can very well happen to us.

These are my thoughts exactly. The Canucks are playing really determined hockey right now, if they can keep this mindset in the playoffs then they're dangerous to any team including the sharks.

Side note: I'd switch Higgins and Burrows in your lineups. I think Burrows has a few more years to go before he plays as a third liner.

I honestly think Tortorella gives us an edge against many teams in the playoffs. He knows how to adjust his team during a game and series, and has a Cup ring to show for it. The playoffs is more about coaching than high-end skill as we've seen in years past, and Torts is one of the best post-season coaches.

For whatever reason, San Jose has had our number for the last 10 games so hopefully we don't face them, but Tod McClennen isn't a fantastic coach and has been out-coached the last few seasons by some of the better ones.

The Canucks are one of the few teams to have a winning record against the Blackhawks over the last few years so that would be a preferable matchup, despite their great coaching.

I also maintain that if we still have these guys going into the playoffs, Booth and Kassian in particular could become huge game-changers for us. 3rd line, huge physical forwards who could change a series. Later in the playoffs, when top lines are getting checked to death by top defencemen, it ends up being the 3rd and 4th liners who score game winning goals and win the cup. At the end of the day, if we have a guy like David Booth out against a teams 3rd defensive pairing, I like Booth's chances. Sure he may have under-performed so far, but he would still be the best bottom-6 forward on the ice which is CRUCIAL late in the playoffs.

we all know it's early, but the team hasn't looked like this in years. A lot of posters predicted a new coach could spark the whole team.

The Canucks have a ton of playoff experience, and apart from a week bottom 6 or top 6 whichever way you look at it you guess, Luongo is playing lights out, and our D is getting better and better.

Sedin Sedin Kesler

Archibald Welsh Weber

I Think this bottom 6 could be the best we've had in years. And if Tortorella keeps the team believing we can do anything than it isn't too unbelievable to beat SJ, every game with them has been close.

Anything is possible. Luongo however has not been lights out so far, he's been steady enough. Our games with San Jose have not been especially close, two 4-1 losses home and away.

Sedin Sedin Kesler

Archibald Welsh Weber

No they would probably get destroyed by SJ, the Sharks have too much depth.up front and would probably take it in 4-5 games. C'mon now it's not even close, our 2nd line would pretty much be their 4th lol. The only way i can see them winning is if Lu stands on his head and steals the series.

Sedin Sedin Kesler > Hertl Thornton Burns

Higgins Santorelli Kassian <<<<< Marleau Couture Havlat

Burrows Richardson Hansen < Torres Pavelski Wingels

Archibald Welsh Weber < Kennedy Desjardins Brown

I also maintain that if we still have these guys going into the playoffs, Booth and Kassian in particular could become huge game-changers for us. 3rd line, huge physical forwards who could change a series. Later in the playoffs, when top lines are getting checked to death by top defencemen, it ends up being the 3rd and 4th liners who score game winning goals and win the cup. At the end of the day, if we have a guy like David Booth out against a teams 3rd defensive pairing, I like Booth's chances. Sure he may have under-performed so far, but he would still be the best bottom-6 forward on the ice which is CRUCIAL late in the playoffs.

LOL I really don't like Booth's chances against guys like Koivu, Galchenyuk, Bolland Pavelski, Berglund, Tarasenko, TORRES, . Also where'd you get the idea that he would be the BEST bottom 6 forward on the ice in the playoffs?

LOL I really don't like Booth's chances against guys like Koivu, Galchenyuk, Bolland Pavelski, Berglund, Tarasenko, TORRES, . Also where'd you get the idea that he would be the BEST bottom 6 forward on the ice in the playoffs?

Pretty much all of the players you listed will be in their respective team's top-6 except for Torres.

You guys can use your little alligator mouths >>> to show who is better than who all you want.

In reality, with the exception of the Blackhawks regular season success doesn't really mean anything.

If you make the playoffs you are a contender.

The team with the best PK and goaltending wins.

Archived